An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interview With Pope Francis In America Magazine

Basilisa Marie

You prayed the rosary, that's great, but what's your point in relation to our discussion? The fact is we have had numerous Popes that holistically taught the faith, and on points of contention taught them charitably, and yet they were bitterly mocked and ridiculed. Like I said, you and these groups admire the weakness of the current Pope, and hope that perhaps these moral issues will ultimately be done away with (e.g. the Church adopts the contemporary Western secular point of view on these matters.)

My biggest worry for the Roman Church in all of this is that Christ told his followers to expect to be hated. Being widely loved is not necessarily a bad thing, but considering the source of some of the accolades...

You prayed the rosary, that's great, but what's your point in relation to our discussion? The fact is we have had numerous Popes that holistically taught the faith, and on points of contention taught them charitably, and yet they were bitterly mocked and ridiculed. Like I said, you and these groups admire the weakness of the current Pope, and hope that perhaps these moral issues will ultimately be done away with (e.g. the Church adopts the contemporary Western secular point of view on these matters.)

I do not consider the current Pope weak.  Nor do I have any illusions on what his positions regarding abortion, gay-marriage, or condoms.  

My biggest worry for the Roman Church in all of this is that Christ told his followers to expect to be hated. Being widely loved is not necessarily a bad thing, but considering the source of some of the accolades...

Exactly.

I share your concern.

There are a lot better enemies to be gotten then some gay teenager in Oklahoma who gets treated like shit every day in school.  Like Goldman Sachs.  Or the arms industry.  But those would be enemies with real power.  Best to stick to single mothers and gay kids.  

I personally know some Catholic teenagers who have been treated badly in public schools because they stood up for the moral teaching of the Church. It happens.

I do not consider the current Pope weak.  Nor do I have any illusions on what his positions regarding abortion, gay-marriage, or condoms.  

Sure Hasan, but there were no illusions over the positions of JPII or Benedict. They were very expressive in their explanations when dealing with matters of contention, treating them with utmost delicacy. They never isolated the issues against the whole of the gospel, and always with charity, but yet again they were mocked and ridiculed. Perhaps you know what Francis personally believes, but in effect he is willing to no longer fight over these issues. He is willing to accept that abortion, contraception, same sex marriages, etc, will continue. In essence, he is retreating to higher ground. This is why the likes of pro-abortion groups are thanking Francis, it's not like they admire him for his religiousity.

There are a lot better enemies to be gotten then some gay teenager in Oklahoma who gets treated like poo every day in school.  Like Goldman Sachs.  Or the arms industry.  But those would be enemies with real power.  Best to stick to single mothers and gay kids.  

Where are you getting this distorted view of the Church? Do you honestly think before Francis the whole focus was on single moms and gay kids? You know very well that is not case so why are you presenting this caricature? The Church has always dealt with a multiplicity of issues, and doing so never hindered it anyway. You just don't want the Church to focus on issues you find contention with.

Maybe Pope Francis doesn't view gay people and gay allies as 'the enemy.'

I agree with Hasan, because people afflicted with homosexual desires are not enemies of the Church; instead, they are human beings created in the image of God in need of the graces that come from God through the Church in order to heal human brokenness, and in the process of that healing the divine likeness lost through disordered passions and sinful actions is restored and deification is the end result.

Make no mistake, there is a war going on.  It is a war against life, against the family, against religious liberty, against decency. 

There are a lot better enemies to be gotten then some gay teenager in Oklahoma who gets treated like poo every day in school.  Like Goldman Sachs.  Or the arms industry.  But those would be enemies with real power.  Best to stick to single mothers and gay kids.  

For clarification, my argument is based upon the abortion issue, not the homosexual issue.

Also, you seem to be missing the [my] point. Francis seems to be being pretty loose with certain issues wherein his (perhaps) carelessness provides the apparently uninformed with justification for holding issues contrary to the teachings of the Church of Rome. In this case, I agree with you. He should, then, instruct his flock to be louder about being critical of Goldman Sachs and killing Syrians, rather than being quieter about gays and abortion. 

Also also, I expect that my views on the issues surrounding gays and abortion (perhaps more emphasis on the former) are quite different than most others here. However, the fact of the matter is that when I found that I dissented with the church more than I assented, I did the upstanding thing and left, rather than trying to change the Roman Church to fit my own tastes. Pretending that an institution is something that it's not/stands for something that it doesn't does no one any favors.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Just a side note... at my supposedly Catholic high school, the students (and staff, actually) who were fully behind Catholic teachings were outnumbered a hundred to one, minimum. That is absolutely not an exaggeration. Unfortunately I think the people of the Church need evangelization as much as the rest of the world. :(

So FP, what'd you think about this part? 

There is also the concept of preventive medicine so that people don't get health problems in the first place.

Just a side note... at my supposedly Catholic high school, the students (and staff, actually) who were fully behind Catholic teachings were outnumbered a hundred to one, minimum. That is absolutely not an exaggeration. Unfortunately I think the people of the Church need evangelization as much as the rest of the world. :(

Don't worry about the minor teachings in the hierarchy of truths, just get the big things right