An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marijuana Is Safer Than Alcohol

CrossCuT

Why dont they say "The use of drugs (Except alcohol cause Jesus drank it) inflicts very grave damage on human health and life". That would be more clear.

Alcohol is a drug too....and its terrible long term health effects...but I suppose its not considered "grave damage on human health and life" even though 40% of crimes are alcohol related.

Does this make sense to you? It doesnt make sense to me. 

it makes complete sense to me.  wine which is alcohol is the only thing church approved to use for the blood of Christ.  so because of this, alcohol in of itself can never be sinful.

so do you disagree with the catechism?

PhuturePriest

So it's just that people are threatened with assault, battery, and kidnapping for using marijuana, and that if they resist this, the people committing these crimes may kill the user or possessor of unapproved plants. Because marijuana is (supposedly) sinful for use.

It's also sinful to masturbate. Guess we've found another job for the ATF.

That would be a very interesting job.

I would like to hereby come out of the closet as a libertarian.

it makes complete sense to me.  wine which is alcohol is the only thing church approved to use for the blood of Christ.  so because of this, alcohol in of itself can never be sinful.

so do you disagree with the catechism?

I do not. 

Everything in moderation my friend! If you drink alcohol to get drunk and alter your mind...sure its a sin. Same goes for marijuana. 

But the key is that you DONT have to smoke that much, you can smoke a tiny  bit and the result is the same thing as a tiny bit of alcohol...you just dont erode your liver in the process. Which is nice. I like my liver.

I dont think any of these substances in themselves are evil, just depends on how you use them and what your purpose is.

Edited by CrossCuT

I do not. 

Everything in moderation my friend! If you drink alcohol to get drunk and alter your mind...sure its a sin. Same goes for marijuana. 

But the key is that you DONT have to smoke that much, you can smoke a tiny  bit and the result is the same thing as a tiny bit of alcohol...you just dont erode your liver in the process. Which is nice. I like my liver.

I dont think any of these substances in themselves are evil, just depends on how you use them and what your purpose is.

So it's clear you like your pot. I think that marijuana should be legal, especially for medical purposes - anything that can help the terminally or chronically ill suffer less.

I also think it should be legal in that it helps weed people out. You may not know anyone who has ruined their life with pot but I do.

I'm sure this may be the result of a childhood spent in our alcoholic home, but I've never been able to understand the desire to get "buzzed." Like Lilllabettt, I associate it with mental weakness, or more specifically with an obese, greasy, debauched mind. Not that the people are necessarily obese but their brains seem to be.

Have you ever read Brave New World - it's like those people swallowing their soma. Or the people in Farenheit 451 - most people in that world get their pleasure from tv and only a few get their pleasure from real life, from nature, from books.

This is completely outside the question of whether it's a sin or not. But I could never be a soma-eater. And yes I read this with a glass of cab in hand, but that's not because I am trying to get buzzed off the wine...

So what other outdated stereotypes do you buy into so wholly?

Also, in reference to how you answered Zabbazooey earlier, you agree that marijuana does not harm your health however you defend your stance by promoting a stereotype and follow it up what appear to be excerpts from corny video games? "Life is something you dominate, if you're any good."

Do you feel this strongly with Alcohol too?

Yes I do. I don't drink. I think people who do are leaving the barn door open. But to each his own. I am not at stage of life where I can risk any disadvantage vs. the competition.

"Life is something you dominate, if you're any good" is not from a video game.

It is from F. Scott Fitzgerald, author of classic American literature.

More reading less smoking.

eta: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/f-scott-fitzgerald/essay-the-crack-up/1028/

Edited by Lilllabettt

So it's clear you like your pot. I think that marijuana should be legal, especially for medical purposes - anything that can help the terminally or chronically ill suffer less.

I also think it should be legal in that it helps weed people out. You may not know anyone who has ruined their life with pot but I do.

I'm sure this may be the result of a childhood spent in our alcoholic home, but I've never been able to understand the desire to get "buzzed." Like Lilllabettt, I associate it with mental weakness, or more specifically with an obese, greasy, debauched mind. Not that the people are necessarily obese but their brains seem to be.

Have you ever read Brave New World - it's like those people swallowing their soma. Or the people in Farenheit 451 - most people in that world get their pleasure from tv and only a few get their pleasure from real life, from nature, from books.

This is completely outside the question of whether it's a sin or not. But I could never be a soma-eater. And yes I read this with a glass of cab in hand, but that's not because I am trying to get buzzed off the wine...

Ive never claimed people havent been susceptible to people allowing marijuana to ruin their lives but in the case of alcohol it happens all the time however people dont freak out over that.

All I am saying is that while each experience is unique on its own, we need to look at the bigger picture. 

Yes I do. I don't drink. I think people who do are leaving the barn door open. But to each his own. I am not at stage of life where I can risk any disadvantage vs. the competition.

"Life is something you dominate, if you're any good" is not from a video game.

It is from F. Scott Fitzgerald, author of classic American literature.

More reading less smoking.

eta: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/f-scott-fitzgerald/essay-the-crack-up/1028/

Your view of the world seems very bleak. :(

just cuz I don't smoke, dont drink and don't suffer no fools don't mean my vision of life is bleak.

being sober in a drunk world is on another level.

I also think it should be legal in that it helps weed people out.

haha! :hehe:

I didn't even realize I did that!!! :winner:

just cuz I don't smoke, dont drink and don't suffer no fools don't mean my vision of life is bleak.

being sober in a drunk world is on another level.

But just to add, i wasnt referring to weed. I was referring to your idea that the world is a competition meant to get ahead of people.

If you truly believe that do you support the legalization of weed? If nothing else your misguided opinions of pot smokers would potentially give you an advantage.

i have no strong opinion about legalization of weed. Some of the people who support it are sissies - the sort I like to irritate every so often. But aside from that, nah.

And friend - the world IS a competition.  The fact is most of the world does not have "true religion," let alone Christianity.  Maybe you never had to hustle. Most of the world has to hustle. When I'm worried I soothe myself by going to Walmart to look at how cheap the beans are.

Im not very old but Ive experienced my fare share of not fun things that a 25 year old Minnesotan-grown, suburbian girl can.

But I dont treat it like a competition. Theres enough shit in this world we dont need to add to it.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Riiight..,youd almost be correct however you dont have to smoke a ton of marijuana to the point where you pass at JUST like you dont have to drink alcohol to the point where you pass out.

Drinking a little alcohol will give you a buzz...JUST LIKE smoking a little marijuana will give you a buzz.

How are the two different in that regard? People have this incorrect idea that ONE puff of marijuana suddenly renders you a potato. 

Also...the smoke from marijuana is pretty much completely harmless in regards to the health of the lungs. Srsly people, PubMed is not a hard resource to search. You can find a lot of amesome info there! I know that its easy to be afraid of smoke because of cigarettes (which by the way are HORRIBLE for you), but marijuana is just a plant. You're not smoking tar and rat poison with marijuana....rofl

The article I linked originally KoC was very clear in explaining how there are pretty much no long term health risks to smoking marijuana as they are with alcohol. 

No crosscut, marijuana is strong as hell, it's way stronger then alcohol, just a little bit of marijuana will send you to the moon where as a little bit of alcohol won't. Again i'm speaking from experience and i don't lie, maybe once or twice i have lied in my whole life, i won't even bend the truth/white lie on my resume to get a job i desperately need.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye