An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marijuana Is Safer Than Alcohol

CrossCuT

Its easy to dismiss the thread, but I knew what I was getting into by posting it on PM. 

People generally arent willing to extend a thoughtful look into what they have deemed as "bad" simply due to stereotypes from the 1930s.

Im not asking people to smoke weed, Im just asking them to be open minded. No reason we cant have a fun discussion! :)

oh, i'm not dismissing the thread, i just thought the meme was funny. i think it's been a good discussion so far. ;) 

GeorgiiMichael

I completely disagree. It was tyrannical and unjust.

It was approved by 46 of the then 48 US states, which means that it not only passed through congress by a wide margin, but it passed the state legislatures by wide margins as well. It made major exceptions for religious communities who used wine in their rites. I fail to see the tyranny and injustice of it. 

I do agree that it was massively stupid, led to organized crime in the US that still plagues us today, and was wildly unpopular, especially after the Great Depression hit. Hence it's repeal. 

It was approved by 46 of the then 48 US states, which means that it not only passed through congress by a wide margin, but it passed the state legislatures by wide margins as well. It made major exceptions for religious communities who used wine in their rites. I fail to see the tyranny and injustice of it.

I do agree that it was massively stupid, led to organized crime in the US that still plagues us today, and was wildly unpopular, especially after the Great Depression hit. Hence it's repeal.

Does might make right? Abortion is legal in many places too, often with wide public support.

Havok, in what world is caffeine not a mind altering substance?

GeorgiiMichael

Does might make right? Abortion is legal in many places too, often with wide public support.

Do you really equate the inability to get an alcoholic drink with the slaughter of innocent children?

One is an inconvenience, the other is murder.

ah the Marijuana/sin debate.   Marijuana is illegal  in most places, breaking the law is  a sin, except when that law goes against a code of morals.  Now, some people really do believe marijuana is sort of a "Wonder drug". and their theory is the whole reason it's illegal is to keep us visiting the doctors, keep the money flowing through hospitals, and so on. They think prescription drugs are nothing but cash cows for big pharma. Do they have a case? Does this fall under that moral code exemption? I honestly don't know, nor do I smoke pot, but It's something to keep in mind.

Do you really equate the inability to get an alcoholic drink with the slaughter of innocent children?

One is an inconvenience, the other is murder.

I am asking if votes or legislation determines right or wrong.

so you personally have your mind altered after a cup of coffee?  if that's the case, then you got some issues and should not drink caffeine because it would be sinful for you to use it.  although for the vast majority of the world, consuming caffeine is not going to alter your mind.  although smoking a blunt of marijuana will alter your mind.

so if a cup of coffee alters your mind nihil, then don't drink it because according to the cathecism, that would be sinful for you.

I am asking if votes or legislation determines right or wrong.

the point the poster is trying to make is, does it really go against the moral beliefs of the church to make alcohol illegal?  They say no.  You say, making it illegal goes against the moral beliefs of the church and makes the law unjust.  Although I imagine you think most all laws are unjust, so is there any point in trying to explain things to you?  Just because you disagree with a law and think it it bad does not necessarily make it unjust and does not put it at odds with the moral beliefs of the church.

Caffeine is a psychoactive drug.  It effects the Central Nervous System temporially curing drowsiness.  It also happens to be pretty safe for most people.

the catechism talks about mind altering drugs.  They are sinful, plan and simple.  Caffeine is not mind altering.  We have already had this debate about caffeine.  Alcohol is not in of itself sinful because last I checked, the church uses wine for the blood of Christ.  Marijuana Is a mind altering drug.  Science does not argue that smoking marijuana does not alter your mental status at all.  So, this would make it sinful according to the catechism.

If you think the cathecism is wrong, just come out and say it.  You don't agree with what it says?

Alcohol is mind altering.

There are a lot of things in the bible that jesus didnt eat or drink. If jesus didnt eat poptarts does that mean they are sinful?

last I checked, there is no scientific fact about your opinion.  yet you act like if someone doesn't agree with your interpertaion of scientific fact, then they are wrong.  this is exactly what political liberals do.  they say they are right and if you don't agree with me your stupid, dumb and unintelligent.  so you better agree with my opinion or your all of the above because my opinion is as good as fact.

Well then you have completely ignored half the posts Ive made. All the claims I have made about health related issues I have supplied supporting information via research databases and other articles. 

If stating facts based on research makes me liberal, then Ill happily remain a liberal.

Edited by CrossCuT

so you personally have your mind altered after a cup of coffee?  if that's the case, then you got some issues and should not drink caffeine because it would be sinful for you to use it.  although for the vast majority of the world, consuming caffeine is not going to alter your mind.  although smoking a blunt of marijuana will alter your mind.

so if a cup of coffee alters your mind nihil, then don't drink it because according to the cathecism, that would be sinful for you.

Caffeine is a psychoactive drug.  It effects the Central Nervous System temporially curing drowsiness.  It also happens to be pretty safe for most people.

R2 is objectively correct. How else do you think caffeine works? Does it power up all the mitochondria in your cell structures?

R2 is objectively correct. How else do you think caffeine works? Does it power up all the mitochondria in your cell structures?

your perception of mind altering is not in line with the church's.  food alters your mind, anything that makes you happy alters your mind.  I know the church would never consider all foods and even just being made happy a sin.  I think its obvious what the church means by mind altering substance being sinful.  It talks about mind altering substance like drugs.  Simple?

Nearly every single consumable substance on earth is fine for some and harmful for others.

I will not deny that marijuana is not good for some people (similarly to what you said about caffeine)... Ive tried it once but I didnt enjoy the feeling. I also dont like how I feel on caffeine.

Some people dont like the way certain drugs make them feel...I know a lot of people who dont like the feeling that alcohol gives them so they choose not to drink.

So the points Im trying to make is that there are TONS of substances people use every single day that are for the most part totally fine just as you stated above but we have this weird phobia of marijuana when in reality...its no different than alcohol and even much less harmful for you in the long run.

But again, people are SO stuck on this 1930s stereotype that they hit a brick wall and are unable to move around it despite the research that is newly available that contradicts everything they thought in the 30s.

your perception of mind altering is not in line with the church's.  food alters your mind, anything that makes you happy alters your mind.  I know the church would never consider all foods and even just being made happy a sin.  I think its obvious what the church means by mind altering substance being sinful.  It talks about mind altering substance like drugs.  Simple?

How does caffeine work, physiologically?

How does food work, physiologically?

Not simple (the brain is a complex little thingy), but straightforward.

Alcohol is mind altering.

There are a lot of things in the bible that jesus didnt eat or drink. If jesus didnt eat poptarts does that mean they are sinful?

Well then you have completely ignored half the posts Ive made. All the claims I have made about health related issues I have supplied supporting information via research databases and other articles. 

If stating facts based on research makes me liberal, then Ill happily remain a liberal.

fact is everything Jesus did is not sinful.  He consumed alcohol.  That automatically makes it not sinful to consume alcohol in general.  Going overboard on alcohol is sinful as it would be gluttony.  although alcohol is not sinful in of itself since Jesus consumed it.  Its simple facts if you believe Jesus was without sin.

You should work on msnbc, you would fit right in.  You have supported your opinion by research but your opinion is not scientific fact.  To claim otherwise shows you don't understand what scientific fact actually means.