An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marijuana Is Safer Than Alcohol

CrossCuT

I need to have a wibbly wobbly timey wimey machine to fully test that theory. What I mean by not a high percentage is something like straight Everclear, or straight Vodka, compared to most beer or mixed drinks. Drinking a beer seems like it would be healthier than putting any type of smoke into ones lungs. Now if we're talking about hash brownies or something like that, sure maybe it's safer or healthier then.

Well, we are mixing our issues then. We are not really talking about health, because if we were we would have to come down much harder on cigarettes. They are sort of gross, IMO, but if we are prohibiting things based on long term health effects, cigarettes rank way worse than marijuana.

Anyway, the point is this: the economics of prohibition make it pointless to produce 'light' joints, which is why over time we see THC concentration steadily increasing, leading to 'difficulty' in pointing out moderate marijuana use. Just like it would be difficult to point out moderate alcohol use in Prohibition era USA because of the fact that the people 'illegally' producing liquor made the strongest, nastiest stuff they could manage. Just a cost benefit choice, really.

The ONLY reason people feel this way about marijuana is because they are too preoccupied with obsolete preconceptions about what type of people smoke it. Its an extreme disservice to yourself as well as other people. if you choose to be incredibly judgmental...then fine. But choosing to buy into these stereotypes prevents you from understanding whats really going on and leads you to ignore facts that modern technology and scientific understanding can bring us is going to make you weak. Dominate life Lilllabettt and do some research!!

If you don't agree with what I say then your wrong, your a fool and your an idiot for having your own opinion= classic political liberalism.

KnightofChrist

Well, we are mixing our issues then. We are not really talking about health, because if we were we would have to come down much harder on cigarettes. They are sort of gross, IMO, but if we are prohibiting things based on long term health effects, cigarettes rank way worse than marijuana.
Anyway, the point is this: the economics of prohibition make it pointless to produce 'light' joints, which is why over time we see THC concentration steadily increasing, leading to 'difficulty' in pointing out moderate marijuana use. Just like it would be difficult to point out moderate alcohol use in Prohibition era USA because of the fact that the people 'illegally' producing liquor made the strongest, nastiest stuff they could manage. Just a cost benefit choice, really.

Well, I was never really talking about the prohibition issues with weed. But, I like the argument that there should be an amendment to the US constitution for it. And I do think that the current prohibition against it is unconstitutional without such an amendment. Also I agree cigarettes are worse than smoking weed. Anyway, I just wanted to point that if safer means healthier then I believe consuming alcohol is safer, than smoking weed. I know that there are other ways to consume weed. But it is by far the most common way it is consumed. Edited by KnightofChrist

Well, I was never really talking about the prohibition issues with weed. But, I like the argument that there should be an amendment to the US constitution for it. And I do think that the current prohibition against it is unconstitutional without such an amendment. Also I agree cigarettes are worse than smoking weed. Anyway, I just wanted to point that if safer means healthier then I believe consuming alcohol is safer, than smoking weed. I know that there are other ways to consume weed. But it is by far the most common way it is consumed.

I would have to disagree about alcohol. Here is a nifty experiment: Get two people as test subjects. Ideally not friends, as you will see in a moment. Have one drink alcohol nonstop all evening, and one smoke marijuana nonstop all evening. Do comparable concentrations of active ingredients as you see fit, as long as they can both ingest very large quantities.

The next morning, only one of them will be dead, and you and I both know which one it will be. :P

Edited by Nihil Obstat

You did not really read my post. Sad panda.

I did. Is your point that, in your opinion, because of prohibition the majority people use these substances in excess?

if that was indeed what you mean, I will repeat what I responded with originally: its different for everyone and you cant make a sweeping claim of a majority. 

if thats not what you mean then please explain further.

If you don't agree with what I say then your wrong, your a fool and your an idiot for having your own opinion= classic political liberalism.

Lol what politics? How does being in favor of looking at facts make me a liberal? Does that mean conservatives hate facts and base their opinions on stereotypes? 

I did. Is your point that, in your opinion, because of prohibition the majority people use these substances in excess?

if that was indeed what you mean, I will repeat what I responded with originally: its different for everyone and you cant make a sweeping claim of a majority. 

if thats not what you mean then please explain further.

Economics of prohibition lead to objectively higher THC concentrations over time. Our sample is therefore enormously affected and it is difficult to assess 'moderate' marijuana use.

KnightofChrist

I would have to disagree about alcohol. Here is a nifty experiment: Get two people as test subjects. Ideally not friends, as you will see in a moment. Have one drink alcohol nonstop all evening, and one smoke marijuana nonstop all evening. Do comparable concentrations of active ingredients as you see fit, as long as they can both ingest very large quantities.
The next morning, only one of them will be dead, and you and I both know which one it will be. :P

I suppose I've not made myself clear, I agree that if one does not drink alcohol in moderation that it is not safer than smoking weed. But done in moderation, drinking not to get drunk, or totally poo faced, is healthier than smoking, because smoke doesn't really belong in the lungs ever.

I suppose I've not made myself clear, I agree that if one does not drink alcohol in moderation that it is not safer than smoking weed. But done in moderation, drinking not to get drunk, or totally poo faced, is healthier than smoking, because smoke doesn't really belong in the lungs ever.

Hm. Well that you would have to check with all the relevant studies about. It is not something I have looked into.

Economics of prohibition lead to objectively higher THC concentrations over time. Our sample is therefore enormously affected and it is difficult to assess 'moderate' marijuana use.

Do you have sources?

Pot is still mostly illegal so Im curious as to how you know that the THC concentration is going up however you say its difficult to asses peoples use?

Also, wouldnt legalizing and taxation of marijuana would create a competitive industry where a wider variety of products ranging in different levels of THC content would become available? Just like we see with cigarettes and alcohol?

Edited by CrossCuT

The really awesome thing is that the opposite is also true. If you can find the documentary called "Weed", they discuss how growers in Colorado are specifically growing marijuana plants with little to no THC for people who use it medically. Instead they grow it with a high amount of CBD which does not result in the high associate with the plant.

KnightofChrist

The really amesome thing is that the opposite is also true. If you can find the documentary called "Weed", they discuss how growers in Colorado are specifically growing marijuana plants with little to no THC for people who use it medically. Instead they grow it with a high amount of CBD which does not result in the high associate with the plant.

Well some are doing that, others are growing with high amounts of THC. One of my best friend's dad grows the stuff up in CO. and he is one of the ones that grows with high amounts of THC. His business is booming and he did quite well at the latest "Bong A Thon", which is like Woodstock if Xzibit made a Woodstock in a Woodstock.

I  believe it! Its a business after all! 

Some people may require more bang to get the same buzz as someone who requires a lower concentration (as with alcohol).

Some people like the SUPER high you can get (similar to being drunk with alcohol)

So I dunno, if you purchase a more potent plant, then you just smoke less if you do not wish to get the strong high. But again, its hard to say how each individual smokes and to what degree they smoke. Just like people all enjoy their alcohol differently.

Do you have sources?

Pot is still mostly illegal so Im curious as to how you know that the THC concentration is going up however you say its difficult to asses peoples use?

Also, wouldnt [size=4]legalizing and taxation of marijuana would create a competitive industry where a wider variety of products ranging in different levels of T[/size][/size]HC content would become available? Just like we see with cigarettes and alcohol?

From Wikipedia, because lazy (bad formatting for same reason):

A scientific study published in 2000 in the Journal of Forensic Sciences (JFS) found that the potency (THC content) of confiscated cannabis in the United States (US) rose from "approximately 3.3% in 1983 and 1984", to "4.47% in 1997". It also concluded that "other major cannabinoids (i.e., CBD,CBN, and CBC)" (other chemicals in cannabis) "showed no significant change in their concentration over the years".%5B102%5D More recent research undertaken at the University of Mississippi's Potency Monitoring Project has found that average THC levels in cannabis samples between 1975 and 2007 have steadily increased.%5B103%5D From example THC levels in 1985 averaged 3.48% by 2006 this had increased to an average of 8.77%.%5B103%5D

Legalizing marijuana would absolutely lead to a wide range of potencies to become available. I do not believe in taxation, but it is irrelevant to your question anyway.

Thats a pretty old study but I wouldnt be surprised. 

However just because the concentration % is going up doesnt mean people are smoking the same by weight.

So after reading this, the conclusion you draw after reading the results of study about the increasing THC levels means that people are getting higher?

Do you know how much it costs to purchase the plant? its pretty expensive even for a tiny amount. I imagine that making it stronger means you can buy less and make it last longer because you wouldnt have to smoke as much to get the same high.

But thats my conclusion. 

Edited by CrossCuT