An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marijuana Is Safer Than Alcohol

CrossCuT

Thats a pretty old study but I wouldnt be surprised.
However just because the concentration % is going up doesnt mean people are smoking the same by weight.

So after reading this, the conclusion you draw after reading the results of study about the increasing THC levels means that people are getting higher?

Do you know how much it costs to purchase the plant? its pretty expensive even for a tiny amount. I imagine that making it stronger means you can buy less and make it last longer because you wouldnt have to smoke as much to get the same high.

But thats my conclusion.

No, I said our sample is highly distorted and speaking about moderation becomes difficult. Anecdotes are worse than useless on both sides of the issue.

PhuturePriest

My understanding is that the Catechism states smoking weed is a sin. Is this correct?

And I'm not saying that if it is then weed shouldn't be legal. It's just a question I thought worth asking.

It says drugs...alcohol is a drug....caffine is a drug...where do you draw the line....stay sober.....although don't tell me sipping 151 isn't a sin but hitting a bowl is....that's stupid....peace....

My understanding is that the Catechism states smoking weed is a sin. Is this correct?

And I'm not saying that if it is then weed shouldn't be legal. It's just a question I thought worth asking.

It says that drug abuse is a sin, which is a statement just begging to be put into a reasonable context.

:hehe: I might have giggled/snorted when I read this. 

Its easy to dismiss the thread, but I knew what I was getting into by posting it on PM. 

People generally arent willing to extend a thoughtful look into what they have deemed as "bad" simply due to stereotypes from the 1930s.

Im not asking people to smoke weed, Im just asking them to be open minded. No reason we cant have a fun discussion! :)

It says drugs...alcohol is a drug....caffine is a drug...where do you draw the line....stay sober.....although don't tell me sipping 151 isn't a sin but hitting a bowl is....that's stupid....peace....

Very true.

But its important not to abuse anything really. Could be food, money, power, whatever else.

But what this thread was initially intended for was to discuss the health aspect. Its very possible that the church, being that it is not a health organization, will have based its decision off of out dated information.

PhuturePriest

Its easy to dismiss the thread, but I knew what I was getting into by posting it on PM.
People generally arent willing to extend a thoughtful look into what they have deemed as "bad" simply due to stereotypes from the 1930s.
Im not asking people to smoke weed, Im just asking them to be open minded. No reason we cant have a fun discussion! :)

Very true.
But its important not to abuse anything really. Could be food, money, power, whatever else.

But what this thread was initially intended for was to discuss the health aspect. Its very possible that the church, being that it is not a health organization, will have based its decision off of out dated information.

I'm pretty sure that the Church can't be wrong in terms of sin. If it deems something as a sin, then it is so, even if science says that thing is good or neutral to your body. Masturbation has been praised as normal and very healthy. Does that mean the Church wrongly based it as a mortal sin due to outdated concepts? It just seems to me that if you say the Church is wrong about one sin due to outdated concepts, you can easily say that about every sin short of murder.

I'm pretty sure that the Church can't be wrong in terms of sin. If it deems something as a sin, then it is so, even if science says that thing is good or neutral to your body. Masturbation has been praised as normal and very healthy. Does that mean the Church wrongly based it as a mortal sin due to outdated concepts? It just seems to me that if you say the Church is wrong about one sin due to outdated concepts, you can easily say that about every sin short of murder.

Ok so lets just sum up where we are at so far.

Marijuana is not nearly has bad as alcohol.

Alcohol is legal; marijuana is not.

Marijuana causes a  high to the same degree alcohol causes a high as well as the fact they both can essentially make you "drunk" or degrease awareness while the chemical is in your system.

So seems like the next point that is popping up  is sinfulness.

If the church is ok with alcohol (in moderation), then the same should be extended for marijuana (in moderation) because, as some people dont understand, their individual end results are not dissimilar. Marijuana is not an all or nothing drug. You can get a small buzz JUST LIKE you can get a small buzz from alcohol.

So why do you think marijuana is more sinful than alcohol? When ironically, it poses far less of a detriment to your body.

Why are cigarettes not mentioned as sinful? Those give you cancer for crying out loud! :idontknow:

And what about caffeine? I cant have caffeine because it has a very strong effect on me as it does thousands of other people. However you dont see a single person arguing that because I am unable to hand caffeine that its horrible and should be banned OR that its sinful?

Caffeine is the #1 abused over the counter drug you can get.

The point im trying to make throughout this WHOLE thread is that there is an extreme inconsistency as to how we decide on what is good/bad for us.

Nothing says "born to dominate" like sobriety. Those engaged in full-time bad assery cannot spare a waking moment for activities that lead to less than total mental alertness. Sleeping barely qualifies.

Nothing says "born to be ruled" like an altered mental state. Those of you who ingest should keep in mind that once your chosen substance has dimmed your brain people in my category will probably consider stealing your wallet, taking your promotion and/or running off with your spouse.

Intoxicated gazelles are the first to go down my friends.

Inebriation makes me better looking, more clever, and more able to activate MurderVision. When imbibing alcohol, I am the Nexus One.

If a moral judgement is contingent on scientific fact, then if the scientific fact is somehow insufficient then the moral judgement built upon it will likewise be flawed.

The matters of faith and morals remain sound, but those subjects outside of the realm of the Church's competency remain as such.

Ok so lets just sum up where we are at so far.

Marijuana is not nearly has bad as alcohol.

Alcohol is legal; marijuana is not.

Marijuana causes a  high to the same degree alcohol causes a high as well as the fact they both can essentially make you "drunk" or degrease awareness while the chemical is in your system.

So seems like the next point that is popping up  is sinfulness.

If the church is ok with alcohol (in moderation), then the same should be extended for marijuana (in moderation) because, as some people dont understand, their individual end results are not dissimilar. Marijuana is not an all or nothing drug. You can get a small buzz JUST LIKE you can get a small buzz from alcohol.

So why do you think marijuana is more sinful than alcohol? When ironically, it poses far less of a detriment to your body.

Why are cigarettes not mentioned as sinful? Those give you cancer for crying out loud! :idontknow:

And what about caffeine? I cant have caffeine because it has a very strong effect on me as it does thousands of other people. However you dont see a single person arguing that because I am unable to hand caffeine that its horrible and should be banned OR that its sinful?

Caffeine is the #1 abused over the counter drug you can get.

The point im trying to make throughout this WHOLE thread is that there is an extreme inconsistency as to how we decide on what is good/bad for us.

the catechism talks about mind altering drugs.  They are sinful, plan and simple.  Caffeine is not mind altering.  We have already had this debate about caffeine.  Alcohol is not in of itself sinful because last I checked, the church uses wine for the blood of Christ.  Marijuana Is a mind altering drug.  Science does not argue that smoking marijuana does not alter your mental status at all.  So, this would make it sinful according to the catechism.

If you think the cathecism is wrong, just come out and say it.  You don't agree with what it says?

GeorgiiMichael

The sinfulness of marijuana is contingent on the law at this time. We are asked to "Render unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's" which in the strictest sense means obeying the just laws of the land. And whether or not the dealing and ingestion of marijuana isn't as dangerous as alcohol really doesn't matter, as its legality isn't unjust.

It might not make logical sense that it is illegal, since alcohol is legal and apparently more dangerous, but again, that's not the issue, since keeping its current legal standing does not discriminate against a subset of the population or violate any rights of the greater population. 

And so, as an American citizen, it is sinful to use or deal marijuana. Just as it was sinful for Americans to imbibe alcohol during prohibition (a stupid law, yes, but not an unjust one). 

And so, as an American citizen, it is sinful to use or deal marijuana. Just as it was sinful for Americans to imbibe alcohol during prohibition (a stupid law, yes, but not an unjust one)

I completely disagree. It was tyrannical and unjust.

Lol what politics? How does being in favor of looking at facts make me a liberal? Does that mean conservatives hate facts and base their opinions on stereotypes? 

last I checked, there is no scientific fact about your opinion.  yet you act like if someone doesn't agree with your interpertaion of scientific fact, then they are wrong.  this is exactly what political liberals do.  they say they are right and if you don't agree with me your stupid, dumb and unintelligent.  so you better agree with my opinion or your all of the above because my opinion is as good as fact.

GeorgiiMichael

the catechism talks about mind altering drugs.  They are sinful, plan and simple.  Caffeine is not mind altering.  We have already had this debate about caffeine.  Alcohol is not in of itself sinful because last I checked, the church uses wine for the blood of Christ.  Marijuana Is a mind altering drug.  Science does not argue that smoking marijuana does not alter your mental status at all.  So, this would make it sinful according to the catechism.

If you think the cathecism is wrong, just come out and say it.  You don't agree with what it says?

The use of alcohol can be sinful if the intent is to alter your mental status. It isn't not sinful because of it's use in the Mass. It's not sinful, for a myriad of reasons, but chief among them because we have Biblical proof that both Christ and his Blessed Mother consumed alcohol and they are both completely sinless.