An Old School Catholic Message Board

Santa Claus

blazeingstar

Well of course he isn't real. He hasn't been born yet, that won't happen until July 13, 2305.

Seriously?  Its fiction.  As in not real.  He won't exit in 2305 as its questionable if 2305 will actually exist at all.

Reply to Objection 6. An action may be considered in two ways. First, in itself, secondly, with regard to the agent. Accordingly a jocose lie, from the very genus of the action, is of a nature to deceive; although in the intention of the speaker it is not told to deceive, nor does it deceive by the way it is told. Nor is there any similarity in the hyperbolical or any kind of figurative expressions, with which we meet in Holy Writ: because, as Augustine says (Lib. De Mend. v), "it is not a lie to do or say a thing figuratively: because every statement must be referred to the thing stated: and when a thing is done or said figuratively, it states what those to whom it is tendered understand it to signify."

Edited by Nihil Obstat

mulderaliens1.jpg

I had a youth minister who defended the potential existance of aliens using the Bible and a couple of theologians.  Of course not funny shaped green eyed big headed bug like creatures but the posibility that God had created life in another place with creatures that were not in need of a savior. (like Angels do not need a saviour).   I am fuzzy on the details since years have gone by, but his argument was pretty solid.

Reply to Objection 6. An action may be considered in two ways. First, in itself, secondly, with regard to the agent. Accordingly a jocose lie, from the very genus of the action, is of a nature to deceive; although in the intention of the speaker it is not told to deceive, nor does it deceive by the way it is told. Nor is there any similarity in the hyperbolical or any kind of figurative expressions, with which we meet in Holy Writ: because, as Augustine says (Lib. De Mend. v), "it is not a lie to do or say a thing figuratively: because every statement must be referred to the thing stated: and when a thing is done or said figuratively, it states what those to whom it is tendered understand it to signify."

I am going to reject this on the basis that is has too many big words and it makes my head hurt. Unless Im only imagining my headache in which case its a lie. 

Seriously?  To tell a child Santa exists is the very essense of a lie.  To follow up with reindeer and chimney tricks, north pole and elves is further deepening the lie.  To say Santa is a pretend game, would not be a lie....which would be doing or saying something figuratvily.

so it seems to me like you're backtracking here. Because before I suggested you and your kids could play make-believe with Santa, and you said that was a no go on account of it being lying.

KnightofChrist

I am going to reject this on the basis that is has too many big words and it makes my head hurt. Unless Im only imagining my headache in which case its a lie. 

Now. Listen. This is important. There's the real world. And there's the world of nightmares. That's right, isn't it? You understand that. What I want you to remember is this—and I know it's hard—the real world is a lie, and your nightmares are real. The Library is real. There are people trapped in there. People who need to be saved. The shadows are moving again. Those people are depending on you. Only you can save them. Only you. - Dr. Moon

Edited by KnightofChrist

Seriously?  To tell a child Santa exists is the very essense of a lie.  To follow up with reindeer and chimney tricks, north pole and elves is further deepening the lie.  To say Santa is a pretend game, would not be a lie....which would be doing or saying something figuratvily.

It is not a lie to do or say a thing figuratively: because every statement must be referred to the thing stated: and when a thing is done or said figuratively, it states what those to whom it is tendered understand it to signify.