An Old School Catholic Message Board

Santa Claus

blazeingstar

I don't humor my grandmother so why would I humor my parents?

I honestly dont even know anymore, Blazey. :|

?  What is that supposed to mean?  My friends children love me and crawl all over me when they see me.

I don't humor my grandmother so why would I humor my parents?

man I feel bad for the children who are around you.  your are a serious grouch who will never play anything with children that is make believe.  man just think, when a child wants to play kitchen with your a make you pretend food or answer a pretend phone call, never play dolls or action figures, never make a fort, never pretend anything.  so if the poor children ask to play one of these things and will you look at them and say

"to do that is to lie and if you do that your a liar.  bad, bad child.  now go sit in the corner and don't you dare imagine anything".

yeah, your a barrel of laughs to be around.

Jesus denounced strict legalism.  your definetly falling into this trap.

Edited by havok579257

I honestly dont even know anymore, Blazey. :|

I take my grandmother out to dinner, learn her native language, help her buy toys for her cats, take her grocery shopping, I help her set up her christmas tree.  But I don't humor her.

Maybe its a native american thing. Things are what they are.  Humoring an elder to me sounds very bad.

this seems to stem from repressed anger at your parents for not being rich and you not getting the same toys other children got.

If I have kids I probably won't do the Santa thing, but I will answer a block of wood if the kid wants me to.

Yep I'll pretty much have the parenting nailed from the get-go.

I take my grandmother out to dinner, learn her native language, help her buy toys for her cats, take her grocery shopping, I help her set up her christmas tree.  But I don't humor her.

Maybe its a native american thing. Things are what they are.  Humoring an elder to me sounds very bad.

since she is a native American(like my realtives) do you tell her, her beliefs and traditions are all lies?  If not, aren't you going along with the lies as you would claim?

Im not in your head so Im assuming the native american reference come from somewhere that made sense to you.

man I feel bad for the children who are around you.  your are a serious grouch who will never play anything with children that is make believe.  man just think, when a child wants to play kitchen with your a make you pretend food or answer a pretend phone call, never play dolls or action figures, never make a fort, never pretend anything.  so if the poor children ask to play one of these things and will you look at them and say

"to do that is to lie and if you do that your a liar.  bad, bad child.  now go sit in the corner and don't you dare imagine anything".

yeah, your a barrel of laughs to be around.

Jesus denounced strict legalism.  your definetly falling into this trap.

Why do you keep insisting that I am somehow bad, legalistic and evil becuase I will not lie to children or play make believe WITH them?

My friends have several children, all of whom nearly worship at my feet and believe everything I say becuase I am a trustworthy individual.  They are 2years to 12 years old.  One saw me the other day adn called it "the best day of her life".  I have taken six of them to a museaum for 8 hours by myself with no other adults helping me.  A credit to their parents, they were well behaved.  They went home begging for another day for Miss Blaze to take them out again.  Hardly the grinch.

One of the children carries a perpetual story that she is a horse.  I let her play horse but I am not her liontamer (not sure how they correlate but in her mind they do).  She can pretend my dog is her sister, but I am not "in" on it.  If she tells me that my car is a horse trailer then I nod and say thats nice.  But I do not pretend to drive a horse trailer.

Just becuase I won't play with them, nor engaged in pretend dosn't make me a bad person or somehow deficient.  If my friends and their children hated me or disliked being around me I doubt they would call and ask for my help, invite me to family meals, sit for their children overnight or give me hugs. 

Sorry, your theory dosn't hold water.

this seems to stem from repressed anger at your parents for not being rich and you not getting the same toys other children got.

Or, that I think lies are bad, and parents should lie.  I don't care about being poor, and I was never much materialistic.  Infact, in my kindergarden I was popular for being able to make dolls out of our pillow cases.  I was always considered clever and smart.  My sensibilies were offended.  I won't repeat that nor be priviy to it.

If I have kids I probably won't do the Santa thing, but I will answer a block of wood if the kid wants me to.

Yep I'll pretty much have the parenting nailed from the get-go.

Your kids, your rules.  Not mine

Im not in your head so Im assuming the native american reference come from somewhere that made sense to you.

My grandmother is Native American.  They're typically a sober bunch, not given to hyperbolie or excitment.  Its no joke to go to the rez where a party consists of people sitting around eating and smiling for a few hours.  when everyone leaves "Now that was a great party"

"Yep"

"Lets have another bash next year"

"Ayup"

Insert native american words for goodbye and I love you

Done.  There is no place for wild nonsense.  I can't immagine my grandmother pretending to answer a phone for a child and my cousin has young children.  They adore her none the less.

Comparered to my dad's parents who don't consider it a party until theres copious alcholol, atleast one fight and you can't hear yourself think.

Edited by blazeingstar

xTrishaxLynnx

That is gross.  but you gotta toughen up.

Santa has become much more than a "childrens game" and yes, it clearly involves lying and many lies of which Thomas Aquantis would be deeply opposed.

Now who is making up imaginary people?

Now who is making up imaginary people?

Or I misspell things becuase I'm dyslexic.  I'm sorry to have offended your sensibilties.

Seriously?  To tell a child Santa exists is the very essense of a lie.  To follow up with reindeer and chimney tricks, north pole and elves is further deepening the lie.  To say Santa is a pretend game, would not be a lie....which would be doing or saying something figuratvily.

I totally agree.

That's what I did with my children. I didn't tell them any lies about Santa, but we enjoyed pretending.

That was long before I became a Catholic and now that I am one, I cannot comprehend how Catholics can go along with the Santa-is-real routine.

If a child found out his parents were lying about Santa, how would he know they weren't also lying about Jesus?  

We shouldn't be asking children to have faith in something that doesn't exist.

Basilisa Marie

Methinks blazingstar is being intentionally extra cantankerous. 

The biggest objection I know to telling your kids that Santa isn't real is then having them go to school and announce to their class that Santa isn't real, and make a bunch of kids cry. Honestly, people who decide to not do Santa in a way that is based on the idea "Santa is a lie" (instead of something like "We want to make the the focus is on Jesus, not consumerism") need to make sure their kids aren't little snits to everyone else's kids. 

If your kids stop believing in Jesus because they find out you "lied" about Santa, you're not doing Jesus or Santa right. 

I once read an article by a Catholic mom who said that they do Santa in their house, but when their kids get old enough to ask them if Santa is real they tell them the truth. Something along the lines of how Santa is a story we use to teach little children about generosity and thankfulness, how there was a real person called St. Nicholas who was a bishop and very generously gave gifts to people who were in need, and how now you're clearly a big kid and don't need the story of Santa anymore to understand these things, and instead can help Mommy and Daddy teach these things to your younger siblings. And also talk about the Wise Men giving Jesus gifts on Epiphany. I'm not a parent, so a bunch of you will probably discount everything I'm saying, but if I ever get to be one, this is the type of approach I'd like to use. 

Getting really really into Santa, using "Santa won't come this year" as a threat for bad behavior, making out huge Christmas lists, etc are probably things that take away from Christmas being Jesus' birthday. It shouldn't ever be about having tons of faith in Santa. You focus on Jesus's birthday, and Santa is something extra to it. 

I totally agree.

That's what I did with my children. I didn't tell them any lies about Santa, but we enjoyed pretending.

That was long before I became a Catholic and now that I am one, I cannot comprehend how Catholics can go along with the Santa-is-real routine.

If a child found out his parents were lying about Santa, how would he know they weren't also lying about Jesus?  

We shouldn't be asking children to have faith in something that doesn't exist.

Thank you!!!!

We plan:

-Dec 6 feast of St. Nicholas-- "gold" candy in shoes in rememeberance of St. Nicholas' gift of gold.  This will be the day to take out christmas decorations and the nearest Sunday after will be the day for a tree.

-Christmas day- Christmas presants and stockigns as part of the celebration of Jesus' birth.

-Jan 6- three small toys/special body care correlating to good fortune, good health, and good spirituality as the gold franksense and myrr did.

There will be no Santa ever mentioned.