An Old School Catholic Message Board

Graces From Protestant Services?

mortify ii

AugustineA

For the record not all traditionalists are upset, not that you explicitly said that Maggie, but for some reason the past few weeks I keep seeing this reoccurring thread of us vs them and them vs us. A house divided against itself cannot stand. Maybe we can all grow in maturity and discuss topics relating to the Church without painting each other with such broad brushes. 

The Great John Paul the Second was a wolf right ? I mean he kissed the Koran........I just want to be sure of it before I join the sspx.......I could pry never pull off wearing jeans or adias pants at their mass or whatever it is either right ? God help me this is going to be soooooo tough ! I hate wearing dress clothes !

Edited by Guest

AugustineA

The Great John Paul the Second was a wolf right ? I mean he kissed the Koran........I just want to be sure of it before I join the sspx.......I could pry never pull off wearing jeans or adias pantaloons at their mass or whatever it is either right ? God help me this is going to be soooooo tough ! I hate wearing dress clothes !

ipre0fA.gif

For the record, JPII was the vicar of Christ on Earth..  

mortify ii

Strange that some are offended by facts of history, obviously they recognize certain actions were inappropriate to say he least. 

mortify ii

For the record, JPII was the vicar of Christ on Earth..  

Yes, he was the Vicar of Christ, and he also publicly kissed the Quran and got blessed by a shaman. 

Is there something wrong with our Vicar doing these things? 

HisChildForever

Peace be with you,

No, it doesn't jive with your *personal* interpretation of Romans. 

"To confess the Lord Jesus, and to call upon the name of the Lord, is not barely the professing of a belief in the person of Christ: but moreover implies a belief of his whole doctrine, and an obedience to his law; without which the calling of him Lord will save no man. (St. Matthew vii. 21.)"

Instead of maybe giving me the benefit of the doubt--I've never seen the source you quoted before--I like how you pass it of as my being some rebellious, Bible-interpreting heathen. Sorry, I just felt a distinct tone in your response.

I'm glad you found a nice Protestant man who is supporting you in your faith and will support you in raising your children Catholic.

Thanks! I barely had to open my mouth about--he said he assumed all along the rascals would be Catholic. What a crazy Protestant, eh??

mortify ii

Instead of maybe giving me the benefit of the doubt--I've never seen the source you quoted before--I like how you pass it of as my being some rebellious, Bible-interpreting heathen. Sorry, I just felt a distinct tone in your response.

That is your projection of tone into my text but that was not my intention. You had suggested that St Augustine's statement had contradicted scripture and I merely wanted to point out the issue is with your personal understanding and not holy writ itself. I think St Augustine understood scripture much better than anyone here.

With regards to the source its from Haydock's commentary on that verse.

Thanks! I barely had to open my mouth about--he said he assumed all along the rascals would be Catholic. What a crazy Protestant, eh??

lol, well in all seriousness I'm happy you found a good person

PhuturePriest

Yes, he was the Vicar of Christ, and he also publicly kissed the Quran and got blessed by a shaman. 

Is there something wrong with our Vicar doing these things? 

That Vicar of Christ who kissed the Q'uran and got blessed by a shaman is also in heaven with God for an eternity. He also drew possibly hundreds of thousands of people to the Church, and inspired an entire generation of vocations to the priesthood and religious life. Lose the hardcore traditionalism and learn some humility.

mortify ii

That Vicar of Christ who kissed the Q'uran and got blessed by a shaman is also in heaven with God for an eternity. He also drew possibly hundreds of thousands of people to the Church, and inspired an entire generation of vocations to the priesthood and religious life. Lose the hardcore traditionalism and learn some humility.

I understand this is a sensitive topic, I am not here judging the Pontiff as a person, I am however pointing to certain *actions* and *statements* made in history that were never apologized for or explained. 

PhuturePriest

I understand this is a sensitive topic, I am not here judging the Pontiff as a person, I am however pointing to certain *actions* and *statements* made in history that were never apologized for or explained. 

Have you ever thought that perhaps the Pope doesn't owe you an explanation for everything he does?

mortify ii

Have you ever thought that perhaps the Pope doesn't owe you an explanation for everything he does?

Is it permissible for Catholics to venerate Islamic holy books or get blessed by pagans? 

PhuturePriest

Is it permissible for Catholics to venerate Islamic holy books or get blessed by pagans? 

Kissing something which contains fragments of God's Holy Word is not veneration, and it also doesn't deserve an explanation.

mortify ii

Kissing something which contains fragments of God's Holy Word is not veneration, and it also doesn't deserve an explanation.

Just so we have perspective, here is the incident:

john_paul_ii_kisses_koran-620x320.jpg

Rome (Fides) – "At the end of the audience the Pope bowed to the Muslim holy book the Koran presented to him by the delegation and he kissed it as a sign of respect." This was said by Raphael Bidawid, Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans who told Fides about his audience with Pope John Paul II on May 14th when he was received with a delegation composed of the Shiite imam of Khadum mosque and the Sunni President of the council of administration of the Iraqi Islamic Bank and also a representative of the Iraqi ministry of religion.

That gesture was a sign of the Holy Father’s respect for the billion and 34 million followers of Islam, as well as his eagerness to make a pilgrimage in the footsteps of Abraham, the common father of Christians, Jews and Muslims.

http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=304721&Pg=F&Pgnu=&recnu=