An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sex in Heaven?

It's pretty petty trying to insert sex into heaven. The Beatific Vision will render all that infinitely superfluous. And Peter Kreeft is the only one I know that suggested such a thing, and as far as I'm aware he's not a theologian.

​Well there will be no male and no females.

​Christ said so, and it is recorded in Matthew 22:30. I would side with Christ rather than man.

For in the resurrection they shall neither marry nor be married; but shall be as the angels of God in heaven.=/= no males and females.

Am I the only one thrown by that statement?

PhuturePriest

For in the resurrection they shall neither marry nor be married; but shall be as the angels of God in heaven.=/= no males and females.

​Indeed. There is a small argument for whatever reason that there won't be males or females in heaven, but traditional understanding says otherwise. Our genders are an intrinsic part of ourselves, and we will most certainly be male and female in heaven.

BarbTherese

Well... there are things we do know about heaven.

Indeed some things we do know, but what exactly the implications are we cannot know.  We know there is the Beatific Vision and that there is no marriage in Heaven and there might be other facts too revealed to us  - but what exactly these things mean precisely we cannot know.  We can speculate and muse, ponder - as fallible beings reflecting on the infallible, as finite beings reflecting on the infinite...........Faith seeking understanding and a worthwhile quest for some even many.  But some things we will never grasp in our intellect beyond any shadows of doubt and IMVHO, Heaven is one of them.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Nihil Obstat

Indeed some things we do know, but what exactly the implications are we cannot know.  We know there is the Beatific Vision and that there is no marriage in Heaven and there might be other facts too revealed to us  - but what exactly these things mean precisely we cannot know.  We can speculate and muse, ponder - as fallible beings reflecting on the infallible, as finite beings reflecting on the infinite...........Faith seeking understanding and a worthwhile quest for some even many.  But some things we will never grasp in our intellect beyond any shadows of doubt and IMVHO, Heaven is one of them.

You do not seem to leave any room between things we already know, and pure speculation. In reality we can take what we do know and with sound application of good reasoning there are other things we can conclude with a high degree of certainty. 

BarbTherese

You do not seem to leave any room between things we already know, and pure speculation. In reality we can take what we do know and with sound application of good reasoning there are other things we can conclude with a high degree of certainty. 

Sure on some points!

If I take the question:  Is there is sex in Heaven? We can take what we know and that is that Jesus said that there is no marriage in Heaven and conclude with conviction that there is no sex in Heaven.  :notme:

Archaeology cat

​I'm with you on that. 

KnightofChrist

​"As the angels of God in Heaven", angels do not have a sex, they are not male sexually nor female sexually. We still refer to them as he, so men can still be men and women can still be women. But not in the same manner we are today. Marriage will not exist in heaven, so there will be no marriage act in heaven, our sexual organs exist and were created for the purpose of procreation. Our gloried bodies will not have need for male and female sexual organs.

=====

Below is from Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary on Matthew 22:30 which may be of interest in this discussion.

Ver. 30. As the angels. Not in every respect, for the body shall be likewise raised with the soul, whilst the angels are pure spirits: but in this we shall be like unto angels, we shall be endowed with immortality, and impassibility; and our joys, like those of the angels, shall be wholly spiritual. (Jansenius) --- If not to marry, nor to be married, be like unto angels, the state of religious persons, and of priests, is justly styled by the Fathers an angelic life. (St. Cyprian, lib. ii. de discip. et hab. Virg. sub finem.) (Bristow)

Edited by KnightofChrist

Nihil Obstat

We will be reunited with our glorified bodies though. I am not sure we can conclude that we will have our bodies, but our bodies become genderless. In my opinion that must be one way in which we remain distinct from the angels.

KnightofChrist

We will be reunited with our glorified bodies though. I am not sure we can conclude that we will have our bodies, but our bodies become genderless. In my opinion that must be one way in which we remain distinct from the angels.

​Perhaps, we will have bodies (with or without sexes) rather than just spirits as the angels.

Nihil Obstat

​Perhaps, we will have bodies (with or without sexes) rather than just spirits as the angels.

Well it is clear we will be reunited with our bodies. Unless somehow gender is a disposable aspect of our bodies, and I think it clearly is not, I see no other conclusion besides our retaining gender in heaven.

Of course the traditional teaching is that our souls do not have gender, being pure spirit. But our identity is not exclusively the soul, but our bodies as well.

KnightofChrist

Well it is clear we will be reunited with our bodies. Unless somehow gender is a disposable aspect of our bodies, and I think it clearly is not, I see no other conclusion besides our retaining gender in heaven.

Of course the traditional teaching is that our souls do not have gender, being pure spirit. But our identity is not exclusively the soul, but our bodies as well.

​Yes, perhaps I am mistaken. God always gives the things He creates purpose. The purpose of our sexual organs is to procreate in the marriage act, if there is no marriage and thus no marriage act that purpose no longer exist in heaven so what would be the purpose to have such organs? Perhaps the purpose would change? Anyway I retract my original position. But still I wonder.

Nihil Obstat

Well I think gender exists as its own reality beyond the purpose of procreation. "Male and female He created them." It seems to be a primary rather than secondary aspect of our human nature.