An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can a person be friends with a bishop?

oremus1

In every day casual conversation I would simply use "Your Excellency" or "Bishop Smith". Then, if the use of his name comes up again in the same thread I would just start saying "Bishop".

For example,

"Good morning Your Excellency! Did you enjoy your donuts?"

"Yes, thank you."

"I was just telling my friend Kevin how cool you were, Bishop."

​Wait you know Bishop Smith, too?  Are you in Oregon?

if he refers to himself as Bishop Firstname, or even +Phil what do you do, is it ok to call him the same?

​This isn't something we can look in a magical glass ball and predict.  You need to ask the guy.

veritasluxmea

​Wait you know Bishop Smith, too?  Are you in Oregon?

​She doesn't live in the United States, I think she was just using that as an example. 

PhuturePriest

is it ok to sign off emails with "with humble spiritual affection" if you are a young woman?

​Question: Why wouldn't it be?

​Question: Why wouldn't it be?

​because it looks like you secretly have all kinds of affection going on?

NadaTeTurbe

I always sign letters for my great aunt with "with all my affection", and I have little to no feelings for her. 

i don't know for english, but in french, "with my affection", is a formule of politeness, rather of... affection ;) 

PhuturePriest

​because it looks like you secretly have all kinds of affection going on?

​You're overthinking all of this, I'm afraid. It doesn't look like you "secretly have all kinds of affection going on". First of all, if that were so, it wouldn't be secret, as you've said you have it in the email. Secondly, no. It looks pretentious, but all official emails and letters are. It's unavoidable. 

PhuturePriest

I always sign letters for my great aunt with "with all my affection", and I have little to no feelings for her. 

i don't know for english, but in french, "with my affection", is a formule of politeness, rather of... affection ;) 

​Technically speaking, it's not a lie. "With all my affection" merely implies all the affection you have for her, as little as it may be. It doesn't say you have a lot of affection for her. :P

NadaTeTurbe

Well, I have respect for her (she has done great things in her life), and respect is a form of affection... :P 

One day I was far from my parents, I was angry at them and I writed them a very hypocrotical letter with "with my filial affection" at the end. The answer was "We were going to give you this monney, and then we read the "with my filial affection". Don't forget we are the one that taught you to write letter." Now when I want something, I finish with "love, your daughter"... XD

Well, I have respect for her (she has done great things in her life), and respect is a form of affection... :P 

One day I was far from my parents, I was angry at them and I writed them a very hypocrotical letter with "with my filial affection" at the end. The answer was "We were going to give you this monney, and then we read the "with my filial affection". Don't forget we are the one that taught you to write letter." Now when I want something, I finish with "love, your daughter"... XD

should I say that to the bishop?

NadaTeTurbe

You say whatever you want to say. 

If it is a formal letter (like for a confirmation), my old book of manners say you must finish your letter with : "Please accept, excellency, the assurances of my respectful and devoted sentiments", but it doesn't sound very natural :P 

Nihil Obstat

I wrote a letter to my bishop recently, and I believe I concluded it with "Respectfully yours in Christ." I find that to be a little bland, but at the same time I keep my professional communication somewhat intentionally bland. Very clear, very efficient, but I do not dress it up in the same way I would in less formal contexts.