An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could Mary have sinned?

scardella

Could Mary have sinned?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No matter what one believes, one must not defile the dogma. Remember that Mary did not sin.

Also remember that insofar as she was immaculately conceived, she was freed from all sin by [i]gratia efficax[/i] given to her, freely by God and freely accepted by her at the moment of her conception. This was voiced at her Magnificat.

Let's not forget, she could not sin, because she had the same human nature as Christ. She was excluded from Original Sin and she always chose the good. She could not sin, because her nature would not allow it.

It is this [i]gratia efficax[/i] which precludes the Immaculate Conception from sinfulness.

• 4 months later...

[quote]She could not sin, because her nature would not allow it.[/quote]

But Cam, Adam and Eve posessed Original Holiness just like Mary, and they still sinned (Adam and Eve I mean).
My understanding is that she COULD have sinned (that is, she had the freedom to) but because she lacked concupiscence, her life was naturally oriented around God, and not perverted by Original Sin. she simply wasn't attracted to or inclined to it. (Or is that what you meant by saying 'her nature wouldn't allow it'?)

Though I will admit that's only ignorant layman speculation. I'll hurry over to newadvent and check it out.

EDIT* Jesus is a little bit more difficult to wrap your head around, I think. I mean, being fully human, shouldn't he have had the freedom to choose sin? But being fully divine, it's not only that he wouldn't sin, it's that he couldn't have. What am I missing?

Edited by DAF

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='DAF' post='1024890' date='Jul 14 2006, 11:51 PM']
But Cam, Adam and Eve posessed Original Holiness just like Mary, and they still sinned (Adam and Eve I mean).
My understanding is that she COULD have sinned (that is, she had the freedom to) but because she lacked concupiscence, her life was naturally oriented around God, and not perverted by Original Sin. she simply wasn't attracted to or inclined to it. (Or is that what you meant by saying 'her nature wouldn't allow it'?)

Though I will admit that's only ignorant layman speculation. I'll hurry over to newadvent and check it out.

EDIT* Jesus is a little bit more difficult to wrap your head around, I think. I mean, being fully human, shouldn't he have had the freedom to choose sin? But being fully divine, it's not only that he wouldn't sin, it's that he couldn't have. What am I missing?
[/quote]
Uh oh...not this thread again. It's like a ticking time-bomb.

DAF, it's a difference between potentiality and actuality. Mary had the subjective ability to sin (that is, the ability was within her), but it was not possible that she could ever sin (that is, from God's perspective, it wasn't possible, precisely because it didn't happen...since God knows all that will happen, only the things that will happen possibly can happen, from His perspective...when we say something can happen, we speak without human uncertainty, but God's certainty allows Him to say that something that is possible for a person to do can nevertheless not happen).

It's a really long, complicated thread...read it all if you want.

Edited by Raphael

This is a question of predestination which is a tough subject to hit on. the question we need to ask is if mary had said no would it have been a sin? Because of God's Gace mary was preserved from all sin. Basically it comes down to this, God made Mary who she was because he knew she would not refuse him.

[size=1][color="FF6699"]I say Mary could not have sinned.
If she had a chance of sinning God would not have chosen her as his mother.
But there are alot of what ifs and what abouts...SOOO

But yea. She COULD HAVE, but God knew she wouldnt and thats why he chose her?
[/color][/size]

Thy Geekdom Come

It's basically the same as this question: does God know where you will be for eternity?

Now, we know that the answer is yes. If you're going to hell, God knows that you will be there after you die. If you're going to heaven, God knows that, too. Therefore, it can not be that you could go anywhere else. However, it can not be only because you have chosen so by your own ability to choose.

Subjectively (that is, in herself), Mary the power to choose evil, but in God's knowledge, which sees all (including what choice she would choose, not before she chose it, because He is outside of time, but rather apart from her choosing it), it can not be that she would choose evil.

• 1 year later...

Good to see this topic bumped up to the top again! Re-read it all Colin, its a good one!

This is one of my all time favorite threads... it should be framed or something.

I'm hoping the Camster would come back... especially today... I want him to check out the sacred music thread(s)... pst hot stuff, check out Transmudane, will ya buddy?

dairygirl4u2c

according to these song lyrics, mary did indeed sin.

[quote](hail mary)
No virgin me, for I have sinned
I sold my soul, for sex and gin
Go call a priest, all meek and mild
And tell him mary, is no longer a child
Its raining stones, its raining bile
From the luxury, of your denial
So I dont deny, I dont make do
Ill press alarms, place bets on truth[/quote]
[url="http://www.actionext.com/names_c/chumbawamba_lyrics/mary_mary.html"]http://www.actionext.com/names_c/chumbawam.../mary_mary.html[/url]

PapaHilarious

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1420464' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:37 PM']according to these song lyrics, mary did indeed sin.
[url="http://www.actionext.com/names_c/chumbawamba_lyrics/mary_mary.html"]http://www.actionext.com/names_c/chumbawam.../mary_mary.html[/url][/quote]

i agree. these additional [i]Chumbawamba[/i] lyrics verify the fact that Mary was a sinful creature...

[size=3][quote]I get knocked, down but I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down
I get knocked, down but I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down[/quote][/size]

:punk:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='PapaHilarious' post='1420466' date='Nov 16 2007, 03:43 PM']:punk:[/quote]
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=74753&hl="]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...c=74753&hl=[/url]

lol