An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could Mary have sinned?

scardella

Could Mary have sinned?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 February 2010 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1266724798' post='2060265']
Mary died because she - like all of Adam's descendants (including Christ) - was born mortal, while she was resurrected on the third day after her death because she was full of grace and lived a life of virtue.
[/quote]

I feel like throughout the last few pages of this thread we are bordering on the necessity to address the variance in understanding between the East & West concerning the effect of the ancestral sin (namely mortality, concupiscence, etc). But as that is likely to not be a fruitful exercise we are just going to have to keep straining to understand. :)

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 February 2010 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1266724980' post='2060267']
Christ - in His humanity - was not born immortal, but only became immortal as man after His resurrection.
[/quote]

So all who live, including Mary, must die in conformity to Christ's pattern of entering into IMmortality? What about those who live at the time of the Great Parousia; will that be the exception or will they die and then be immediately (or 3 days later?) raised?

Edited by Veridicus

The key factor that must be constantly borne in mind is the fact that the feast of the Dormition ([i]Koimesis[/i]) as it developed in the East commemorates the death of the Theotokos. When the Western Church later adopted this feast it combined the Dormition with the resurrection and assumption of the Virgin into one liturgical commemoration.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='20 February 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1266725229' post='2060272']
The key factor that must be constantly borne in mind is the fact that the feast of the Dormition ([i]Koimesis[/i]) as it developed in the East commemorates the death of the Theotokos. When the Western Church later adopted this feast it combined the Dormition with the resurrection and assumption of the Virgin into one commemoration.
[/quote]

I wonder what the Non-Chalcedonians think...

[quote name='Veridicus' date='20 February 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1266725596' post='2060273']
I wonder what the Non-Chalcedonians think...
[/quote]
As I understand it, there is no difference (except of course for the liturgical form of the prayers, which is dependent upon the rite) between the Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox on the celebration of the Dormition.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='mortify' date='20 February 2010 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1266726612' post='2060280']
I think Divine Grace and Mary's disposition would have made sin impossible for her
[/quote]

Contrast this with Eve's condition for me.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='mortify' date='21 February 2010 - 12:30 AM' timestamp='1266726612' post='2060280']
I think Divine Grace and Mary's disposition would have made sin impossible for her
[/quote]
No, as a human being she had free will. Not sinning was her choice.

KnightofChrist

If Mary could not have sinned this takes away the importance of her obedience. Without the ability to not to obey she becomes an automaton of sorts which had no choice but to follow her preset programming.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='20 February 2010 - 10:58 PM' timestamp='1266728297' post='2060293']
No, as a human being she had free will. Not sinning was her choice.
[/quote]

I agree. I am of the opinion that we can only clearly state that Christ's human will was impeccable in its inability to sin.

[quote name='mortify' date='20 February 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1266726612' post='2060280']
I think Divine Grace and [b]Mary's disposition[/b] would have made sin impossible for her
[/quote]

I think the bolded makes the above statement true. Mary's disposition to divine grace did make sin impossible for her, because [b]she constantly chose to dispose herself to divine grace at all moments[/b] of her life. And simultaneously by choosing to constantly dispose herself to divine grace she was choosing not to sin.

[quote name='Slappo' date='20 February 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1266729367' post='2060311']
I think the bolded makes the above statement true. Mary's disposition to divine grace did make sin impossible for her, because [b]she constantly chose to dispose herself to divine grace at all moments[/b] of her life. And simultaneously by choosing to constantly dispose herself to divine grace she was choosing not to sin.
[/quote]
I agree.

[quote name='Slappo' date='21 February 2010 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1266729367' post='2060311']
[/quote]

good point
As shown, by The Archangel Gabriel to Mary and the Annunciation

Edited by apparently

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='hot stuff' date='20 February 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1266695457' post='2060017']
Micah will eventually be correct in saying that Apo is correct. (a little Minority Report effect to this post)
[/quote]
Apo is wrong.

Just to mess with you. :P