An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers For My Nephew Brodie---updated

IcePrincessKRS

IcePrincessKRS

Joe updated this morning: Left Brodie's room at 6:45 this morning. His O2 levels were up and his respirator machine had been lowered. But his HR and BP were on the rise. Sara is heading to see him and should be there soon. I had my "it isn't going to be 4 days this time" moment last night. I'm ready for the long-haul now.

For those that don't know or may not remember, after Brodie's last heart surgery he was doing so well they sent him home after 4 days because they didn't want him to catch any infections from other hospital patients. This time is, obviously, a rougher ride, they predicted a 10-14 day hospital stay and I think it'll probably take at least that long. I have a friend who knows another child that has Brodie's condition (HLHS) and she said that his third surgery (which was done a year ago) was the hardest in recovery, too, and now he's a healthy and happy 3 year old. I've got hope that our tough little guy is going to pull through this just fine, but I know that the ups and downs are stressful and crappy to deal with, especially after Brodie's other two surgeries went so smoothly. Thank you for your continued prayers during this bumpy recovery phase.

:icey:

IcePrincessKRS

Sara just updated with how Brodie has been doing today: Brodie hasn't had much change today. They are trying to wean down the ventilator again, because the sooner he is extubated and the additional pressure in his chest is removed the better it is for him. He is producing a lot of phlem and has a fever again today. They have sent another round of cultures. So far the others have all come back negative and he is receiving antibiotics. But with the extended intubation and fluid on the lungs concern of pneumonia developing is a possible problem. Another reason to extubate ASAP. Praying that tube is out by the weekend or sooner if possible!

IcePrincessKRS

Sara just texted me to say that they are going to try extubating Brodie in the next hour. If necessary they will intubate again, but will try a couple other alternatives first. The longer his lungs stay wet the greater concern he could develop pneumonia, if the extubation goes well it can relieve some of his chest pressure and hopefully reduce the build-up in his lungs. If this goes well it'll be another step forward in his recovery, so please pray that it goes smoothly and he doesn't take another step back.

I have asked the prayer group I am a member of to pray for him too, and for his family, especiallly his parents

IcePrincessKRS

Sara updated on Brodie's extubation:
Brodie has been extubated. He seems to be doing ok so far. They have used a face mask with high pressure air force deep breaths. They will continue intermittently to exercise the lungs and keep the pathway open.
He is still receiving oxygen, but nitric oxide is finished.

brandelynmarie

St. John of God, patron saint of heart patients, please pray for Brodie!

St. Raphael Archangel, patron saint of healing & medicine, please pray for the medical staff working with him!

St. Joseph, patron saint of families, please pray for Brodie's loved ones!

Amen :amen:

IcePrincessKRS

Sara updated on Brodie this afternoon: Brodie is having an ok day so far. He has a fever again but he has tolerate being extubated quite well. He is not fond of the Positive Air Pressure (PAP) treatments.
His cardiologist says he is doing better but with the fever we are still in for a rollercoaster ride of progress verses set backs.
His chest xray showed his lungs are cloudier than yesterday but being extubated & having the fever PAP treatments will help.

(I think that last line is just supposed to say "having the PAP treatments, but she's posting from her phone so there tends to be a few typos. Gotta love auto-correct.)

brandelynmarie

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1319735148' post='2327759']
Sara updated on Brodie this afternoon: Brodie is having an ok day so far. He has a fever again but he has tolerate being extubated quite well. He is not fond of the Positive Air Pressure (PAP) treatments.

[/quote]

Not liking the PAP treatments is actually a good sign as it shows he is coming around. :) I have had them before & it can make you feel like you are choking on air. :unsure: