An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lost: The Final Season-- Discussion And ***spoilers***

hope4thenew

homeschoolmom

[quote name='notardillacid' date='17 February 2010 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1266429790' post='2058371']
Ultimately I think they HAVE to answer those questions, otherwise a lot of the early episodes were basically pointless
[/quote]
That's what I'm afraid of... :sadder:

homeschoolmom

I noticed that Claire's name was crossed off in the cave even though she's not dead... so... I guess you don't have to be dead to be out of the running, just disqualified.

eta: I also want to know if Richard Millkin (the Australian psychic) will be back/explained... he was influential in Mr. Eko, Rose and Bernard and Claire being on the plane.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='17 February 2010 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1266429995' post='2058376']
I noticed that Claire's name was crossed off in the cave even though she's not dead... so... I guess you don't have to be dead to be out of the running, just disqualified.

eta: I also want to know if Richard Millkin (the Australian psychic) will be back/explained... he was influential in Mr. Eko, Rose and Bernard and Claire being on the plane.
[/quote]

Man you are pretty high maintenance on this Lost thing

Ok I have a major issue here.

If Ben was still on the island with the Others, he wasn't taken off the island with the submarine. So HE WAS ON THE ISLAND when the bomb went off!

How is he a social studies teacher in the alternate timeline????

laetitia crucis

[quote name='hot stuff' date='18 February 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1266523667' post='2058889']
Ok I have a major issue here.

If Ben was still on the island with the Others, he wasn't taken off the island with the submarine. So HE WAS ON THE ISLAND when the bomb went off!

How is he a social studies teacher in the alternate timeline????
[/quote]

I was wondering the exact same thing.

Hmm... :think:

So... just so I can get this straight... the alternate timeline is 2004, and the post-bomb island is in 2007, right? Maybe in alternate 2004 there was a mass exodus from the island and Ben went with them? Maybe the bomb had bigger repercussions in affecting the entire life of the island - it's origin, and it's past, present, and future?

Ehhh.. :unsure:

With the whole '77 time change in the mix, I find myself seriously lost on a lot of things.

I mean, for example, with Bernard and Rose. If they did indeed die in '77 (after the bomb went off) and their skeletons were found in the cave 30 years later by the Flight 815 people (including 2004 ROSE)... well, how does "What Happened, Happened" and "dead is dead" even apply there? If she ended up dying in '77, then how could she even exist in the Flight 815 reality? Ahhhhh!! :wacko:

I just don't get a lot of the time-travel implications. :blink: It makes me a little crazy, though I do find some pleasure in pondering them. Hah!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='18 February 2010 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1266527547' post='2058938']
I was wondering the exact same thing.

Hmm... :think:

So... just so I can get this straight... the alternate timeline is 2004, and the post-bomb island is in 2007, right? Maybe in alternate 2004 there was a mass exodus from the island and Ben went with them? Maybe the bomb had bigger repercussions in affecting the entire life of the island - it's origin, and it's past, present, and future?

Ehhh.. :unsure:

With the whole '77 time change in the mix, I find myself seriously lost on a lot of things.

I mean, for example, with Bernard and Rose. If they did indeed die in '77 (after the bomb went off) and their skeletons were found in the cave 30 years later by the Flight 815 people (including 2004 ROSE)... well, how does "What Happened, Happened" and "dead is dead" even apply there? If she ended up dying in '77, then how could she even exist in the Flight 815 reality? Ahhhhh!! :wacko:

I just don't get a lot of the time-travel implications. :blink: It makes me a little crazy, though I do find some pleasure in pondering them. Hah!
[/quote]

It is confusing

1977 young ben is shot by Sayid and taken to the Others to be saved. Before young ben is returned to the Dharma initiative, Jack and others successfully (?) blow up the hydrogen bomb. which starts the alternative timeline

2004 Alternative timeline Ben Linus is a social studies teacher. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE????

Also when Faraday put this plan into motion (to set off the hydrogen bomb) didn't he end up killing himself before he was born?

My head hurts

laetitia crucis

[quote name='hot stuff' date='18 February 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1266531185' post='2058962']
It is confusing

1977 young ben is shot by Sayid and taken to the Others to be saved. Before young ben is returned to the Dharma initiative, Jack and others successfully (?) blow up the hydrogen bomb. which starts the alternative timeline

2004 Alternative timeline Ben Linus is a social studies teacher. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE????

Also when Faraday put this plan into motion (to set off the hydrogen bomb) didn't he end up killing himself before he was born?

My head hurts
[/quote]

Maybe the Man in Black's "loophole" is bigger than we ever imagined? :ninja:

The bit about Faraday makes me extra-crazy just thinking about it. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Alternate 2004, too.

And maybe even Richard as a normal person all aged (or maybe he'd be long gone by then if he wasn't made "ageless" by Jacob)... dun-dun-DUNNNN! :shock:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='18 February 2010 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1266538384' post='2059031']
AND YOU CALL ME HIGH MAINTAINANCE????
[/quote]

:lol_pound:

Thy Geekdom Come

Trying to understand this thread must have been what it was like right after the Tower of Babel fell.

"But...but...I thought we all spoke the same language! Why can't I understand any of you?!"

homeschoolmom

In the original timeline:
Couldn't Ben have been evacuated with the other children and women and returned to the Island at a later time prior to the Purge? We pretty much have only seen him as his 12 year old self and then right before the kidnapping of Alex ('88). We don't really know what he was doing or how long he might have been gone. Therefore, in the original timeline, Ben is evacuated but comes back after the Incident but before the kidnapping ('88) and Purge ('92). I assume that Ethan was another of the DHARMA members to defect to the Others prior to the Purge (Ben said he was not alone).

In alternate timeline:
Ben is evacuated, Juliet blows up the Island, Ben never returns. He develops a love for European history and sweater vests (a match made in heaven) and becomes a middle school teacher.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' date='18 February 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1266540330' post='2059045']
Trying to understand this thread must have been what it was like right after the Tower of Babel fell.

"But...but...I thought we all spoke the same language! Why can't I understand any of you?!"
[/quote]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZErJDc6978[/media]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='18 February 2010 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1266540913' post='2059057']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZErJDc6978[/media]
[/quote]
Doesn't work. It won't let me watch it here and makes me go to YouTube, then YouTube tells me there's an error and it won't play.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='18 February 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1266542133' post='2059064']
Bummer... Hurley explains the whole show in under three minutes.
[/quote]

Definitely one of my favorite "Lost" moments! :lol: