Ephrem Augustine Posted February 17, 2010 Posted February 17, 2010 4 8 15 16 23 42 the numbers of those who have survived so far the black and white stones I like Sawyer counter Man in Black, makes for interesting interaction.
homeschoolmom Posted February 17, 2010 Posted February 17, 2010 [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='17 February 2010 - 09:14 AM' timestamp='1266416094' post='2058287'] Ooo -- good questions!!! I've wondered about many of those, too. In addition to your questions, I know this seems scrupulous, but I always wonder if there's any significance to why "DHARMA" is always capitalized. Is it an acronym for something else? I think Cindy was always an Other. Ethan...well, maybe he was always an Other, too? One that infiltrated DHARMA, maybe? Or maybe like Eloise Hawking? I have no idea on that one. I'd like to know Eloise's backstory.[/quote] No, Ethan was born into DHARMA to Horace and Amy Goodspeed in '77 (Juliet helped, remember?) I think he and Amy leave the Island in the evacuation before the Incident. At some point, he returns to the Island, joins the Others and changes his name to Rom. In alternate 2004, he introduces himself as Ethan Goodspeed. I think Cindy was an Other from before the crash. [quote] I think Rose and Bernard = Adam and Eve skeletons... they always wanted to stay on the island and didn't care how they died as long as they were together. If they died in '77 from the bomb, would their bodies be in the state Jack had found them in the original timeline? Plus those stones... one black, one white. [/quote] Yeah, I think it's them, too. But I'm not sure how, yet. At the time of the Incident, the Losties + Miles traveled from '77 to '07, but wouldn't B and R, too? Or not? Why would they move to the caves? And wasn't Rose present when Jack found the skeletons in the first place? [quote]Dude, and I forgot about Desmond! I think he's going to be important in how all this plays out somehow. I just don't know how. Haha! [/quote] Yeah, we can't be done with them... Pen is Widmore's daughter! We can't be done with them because we don't know everything about Widmore and the game that he and Ben are playing... or are they pawns in the bigger game that Jacob and Smokey are playing? (Which, by the way, is not chess, but Othello. )
Not A Mallard Posted February 17, 2010 Posted February 17, 2010 (edited) Somehow I can really picture Ben as a teacher [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='17 February 2010 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1266418537' post='2058309'] And wasn't Rose present when Jack found the skeletons in the first place? [/quote] it could be an alternate timeline Edited February 17, 2010 by Not A Mallard
homeschoolmom Posted February 17, 2010 Posted February 17, 2010 [quote name='Not A Mallard' date='17 February 2010 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1266419733' post='2058316'] Somehow I can really picture Ben as a teacher it could be an alternate timeline [/quote] Still thinking it would be weird to see your own bones... and yeah... Ben as history teacher... it ALL makes sense now!
ardillacid Posted February 17, 2010 Posted February 17, 2010 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='17 February 2010 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1266414804' post='2058283'] Things I want to know that I'm afraid they won't tell me (at least not all of them): Why do pregnant women die on the island? Why were they researching pregnancies? How did Ethan go from DHARMA to Other? Why did he change his name from Goodspeed to Rom? Why was Cindy so quick to join the Others? Was she an Other all along or was she persuaded somehow? What's to happen to Rose and Bernard? They have to get re-involved in the story... they can't just live on the beach! Who are the Adam and Eve skeletons? Are they R and B? Why did the Others want Walt? Why does he have these powers? Why did Ben let them leave? Are their names crossed off? Walt's not dead, so he couldn't have been Smokey when he visited John... why can he bi-locate? What about Desmond? Is his name crossed off? Do they only get crossed off when they die? Is their story done? [/quote] Ultimately I think they HAVE to answer those questions, otherwise a lot of the early episodes were basically pointless
homeschoolmom Posted February 17, 2010 Posted February 17, 2010 [quote name='notardillacid' date='17 February 2010 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1266429790' post='2058371'] Ultimately I think they HAVE to answer those questions, otherwise a lot of the early episodes were basically pointless [/quote] That's what I'm afraid of...
homeschoolmom Posted February 17, 2010 Posted February 17, 2010 I noticed that Claire's name was crossed off in the cave even though she's not dead... so... I guess you don't have to be dead to be out of the running, just disqualified. eta: I also want to know if Richard Millkin (the Australian psychic) will be back/explained... he was influential in Mr. Eko, Rose and Bernard and Claire being on the plane.
Jaime Posted February 18, 2010 Posted February 18, 2010 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='17 February 2010 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1266429995' post='2058376'] I noticed that Claire's name was crossed off in the cave even though she's not dead... so... I guess you don't have to be dead to be out of the running, just disqualified. eta: I also want to know if Richard Millkin (the Australian psychic) will be back/explained... he was influential in Mr. Eko, Rose and Bernard and Claire being on the plane. [/quote] Man you are pretty high maintenance on this Lost thing
Jaime Posted February 18, 2010 Posted February 18, 2010 Ok I have a major issue here. If Ben was still on the island with the Others, he wasn't taken off the island with the submarine. So HE WAS ON THE ISLAND when the bomb went off! How is he a social studies teacher in the alternate timeline????
laetitia crucis Posted February 18, 2010 Posted February 18, 2010 [quote name='hot stuff' date='18 February 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1266523667' post='2058889'] Ok I have a major issue here. If Ben was still on the island with the Others, he wasn't taken off the island with the submarine. So HE WAS ON THE ISLAND when the bomb went off! How is he a social studies teacher in the alternate timeline???? [/quote] I was wondering the exact same thing. Hmm... So... just so I can get this straight... the alternate timeline is 2004, and the post-bomb island is in 2007, right? Maybe in alternate 2004 there was a mass exodus from the island and Ben went with them? Maybe the bomb had bigger repercussions in affecting the entire life of the island - it's origin, and it's past, present, and future? Ehhh.. With the whole '77 time change in the mix, I find myself seriously lost on a lot of things. I mean, for example, with Bernard and Rose. If they did indeed die in '77 (after the bomb went off) and their skeletons were found in the cave 30 years later by the Flight 815 people (including 2004 ROSE)... well, how does "What Happened, Happened" and "dead is dead" even apply there? If she ended up dying in '77, then how could she even exist in the Flight 815 reality? Ahhhhh!! I just don't get a lot of the time-travel implications. It makes me a little crazy, though I do find some pleasure in pondering them. Hah!
Jaime Posted February 18, 2010 Posted February 18, 2010 [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='18 February 2010 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1266527547' post='2058938'] I was wondering the exact same thing. Hmm... So... just so I can get this straight... the alternate timeline is 2004, and the post-bomb island is in 2007, right? Maybe in alternate 2004 there was a mass exodus from the island and Ben went with them? Maybe the bomb had bigger repercussions in affecting the entire life of the island - it's origin, and it's past, present, and future? Ehhh.. With the whole '77 time change in the mix, I find myself seriously lost on a lot of things. I mean, for example, with Bernard and Rose. If they did indeed die in '77 (after the bomb went off) and their skeletons were found in the cave 30 years later by the Flight 815 people (including 2004 ROSE)... well, how does "What Happened, Happened" and "dead is dead" even apply there? If she ended up dying in '77, then how could she even exist in the Flight 815 reality? Ahhhhh!! I just don't get a lot of the time-travel implications. It makes me a little crazy, though I do find some pleasure in pondering them. Hah! [/quote] It is confusing 1977 young ben is shot by Sayid and taken to the Others to be saved. Before young ben is returned to the Dharma initiative, Jack and others successfully (?) blow up the hydrogen bomb. which starts the alternative timeline 2004 Alternative timeline Ben Linus is a social studies teacher. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE???? Also when Faraday put this plan into motion (to set off the hydrogen bomb) didn't he end up killing himself before he was born? My head hurts
laetitia crucis Posted February 18, 2010 Posted February 18, 2010 [quote name='hot stuff' date='18 February 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1266531185' post='2058962'] It is confusing 1977 young ben is shot by Sayid and taken to the Others to be saved. Before young ben is returned to the Dharma initiative, Jack and others successfully (?) blow up the hydrogen bomb. which starts the alternative timeline 2004 Alternative timeline Ben Linus is a social studies teacher. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE???? Also when Faraday put this plan into motion (to set off the hydrogen bomb) didn't he end up killing himself before he was born? My head hurts [/quote] Maybe the Man in Black's "loophole" is bigger than we ever imagined? The bit about Faraday makes me extra-crazy just thinking about it. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Alternate 2004, too. And maybe even Richard as a normal person all aged (or maybe he'd be long gone by then if he wasn't made "ageless" by Jacob)... dun-dun-DUNNNN!
homeschoolmom Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 AND YOU CALL ME HIGH MAINTAINANCE????
laetitia crucis Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='18 February 2010 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1266538384' post='2059031'] AND YOU CALL ME HIGH MAINTAINANCE???? [/quote]
Thy Geekdom Come Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 Trying to understand this thread must have been what it was like right after the Tower of Babel fell. "But...but...I thought we all spoke the same language! Why can't I understand any of you?!"
homeschoolmom Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 In the original timeline: Couldn't Ben have been evacuated with the other children and women and returned to the Island at a later time prior to the Purge? We pretty much have only seen him as his 12 year old self and then right before the kidnapping of Alex ('88). We don't really know what he was doing or how long he might have been gone. Therefore, in the original timeline, Ben is evacuated but comes back after the Incident but before the kidnapping ('88) and Purge ('92). I assume that Ethan was another of the DHARMA members to defect to the Others prior to the Purge (Ben said he was not alone). In alternate timeline: Ben is evacuated, Juliet blows up the Island, Ben never returns. He develops a love for European history and sweater vests (a match made in heaven) and becomes a middle school teacher.
homeschoolmom Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='18 February 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1266540330' post='2059045'] Trying to understand this thread must have been what it was like right after the Tower of Babel fell. "But...but...I thought we all spoke the same language! Why can't I understand any of you?!" [/quote] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZErJDc6978[/media]
Thy Geekdom Come Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='18 February 2010 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1266540913' post='2059057'] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZErJDc6978[/media] [/quote] Doesn't work. It won't let me watch it here and makes me go to YouTube, then YouTube tells me there's an error and it won't play.
homeschoolmom Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 Bummer... Hurley explains the whole show in under three minutes.
laetitia crucis Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='18 February 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1266542133' post='2059064'] Bummer... Hurley explains the whole show in under three minutes. [/quote] Definitely one of my favorite "Lost" moments!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now