An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

TheresaThoma

Ok I'll throw in a few books I read (do my part to help get us to the 100,000 page mark)

The Lamb's Supper 174 pages

The Church: Unlocking the Secrets to the Places Catholics Call Home 240pages

The Pope and I 272pages

Catching Fire 400 pages

Mockingjay 504 pages

Becoming Queen Victoria 400 pages

Edited to add one more 

The Throne of Fire 464 pages

Edited by TheresaThoma

ChristinaTherese

I have two more books to add:

Christy: 487 pages

A Simple Song: 276 pages (A good book about an Amish girl. I reread (maybe an hour after finishing the book, on a few hours long car ride) a couple of pages near the end and it brought tears to my eyes.)

Sorry Byz....

No I had not double counted it...

(School starting and having to write a lot of papers... :cry: )

TheresaT - hadn't had a chance to welcome you!   Thanks for trying to give us a boost!!!! :)  :bible:

:bible: I almost wonder if we should put in a flag in Open Mic and/or Vocation Station to try to lure a few more people to help us get to that 100,000 page mark... what do you all think?  Byz?   The rest of you???? :bible:

Cartermia... I'm sorry about school starting; it will curtail your reading some.  ;)  BUT... you are probably not in danger of being touched, certainly on page counts..... some possibility on slipping down on number of books if someone really gets motivated.....

And those of you who are within striking range on book counts.... you can get creative.   Let's keep this fun and keep ourselves motivated... we still have a week!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to try to get in 1 more update BEFORE the final count after Sept 1st.

Byz.... can we get you to do that too????

As for me...

Just finished my re-read of Christy (487 pages) - liked it better when read it before, but still a well-written, thoughtful book.... 

I'm also re-reading two books, Rosanna of the Amish by Joseph Yoder (Rosanna's son) (251 pages) and Catherine Marshall's non-fiction work, Light in my Darkest Night (255 pgs) .    Both are excellent...

ChristinaTherese -- what did you think of Christy?   A simple song sounds interesting.....

Chrysophylax

I just finished two more! If I am lucky I might even get to read a few more before the end, even though my classes start tomorrow.

The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter (282 pgs) This book was amazing, and I have not read any that are in quite the same style! It was great, and I really hope that the author has written others like it, but I haven't checked yet.

The Invaders by John Flanagan (429 pgs) A great re-read! (I would have put off reading this one and read something else, but my sister threatened to return it to the library before I could read it again!)

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

9 pages of board game rules from a booklet.  and to more rulebooks coming in the mail.  So psyched!

Saw that, Chrys and CCC.... ... and I'm thrilled for you CCC that the additional stuff is on order... just hope they arrive by Sat so you can get them read by midnight!  :)

Edited by AnneLine

TheresaThoma

Ok according to my calculations we are over 90,000 pages read. I think that we can reach the 100,000 page goal is we all manage to read another book or two before Sat and round up a few others!

I will try to put in an updated page count Tues or Wednesday.... in the meantime, this will bump it to the top of lame board!

AND.. yes, audio books count!!!!  So here is a link you can use to run some in the background over the week!  When you complete your book, just go to Amazon and see what the page count for your book would be, and send it in!!!!

FREE AUDIO BOOKS!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/audiobooksfree

Per Byz (who started this competition), the DEADLINE for posting books and/or pages read is... midnight on the 31st of August.... we are using the Phatmass clock, so adjust your sights if you are in a different time zone... you may have more or less time to finish your books!!!

pedestals2.jpg

Ooo I like this thread! How did I not see it before. I read loads of books when I was on holiday. 

Club Dead (Charlane Harris): 291 pages

Dead to the World (Charlane Harris): 320 pages

The Vampire Prince (Darren Shan): 192 pages

Hunters of the Dusk (Darren Shan): 192 pages

Allies of the Night (Darren Shan): 192 pages

Killers of the Dawn (Darren Shan): 192 pages

The Lake of Souls (Darren Shan): 224 pages

Notorious Nineteen (Janet Evanovich) : 302 pages

V is for Vengeance (Sue Grafton) : 368 pages

Total of that is 2273 pages! 

Right now I'm reading The Associate and The Litigators (both John Grisham), and I'll probably be done with those by the deadline. I read very fast. :)

Edit: Oh and I'm also reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I don't know why I read so many books at once. :hehe:

Edited by EmilyAnn

xTrishaxLynnx

Finished METAtropolis - 288 pages.

Now half way through Divergent by Veronica Roth - 487 pages; should be done by Friday and have time to finish another by Saturday night.

Deus te Amat

I've read an absurd number of books since leaving the convent -- so many that I probably wont remember all the titles, but at least this thread will put all my times wasting to good use. :)  Don't judge my book choices. 

The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) -- 722

The Wise Man's Fear (ibid) -- 1107

The Innocent Mage (Karen Miller) -- 640

Empress (ibid) -- 717 (don't read -- weird)

Path of Fate (Diana Pharaoh Francis) -- 369

The Sentinel Mage (Emily Gee) -- 509

Til WE Have Faces (C. S. Lewis) -- 313

The Magician's Guild (Trudi Canavan) -- 365

The Last Stormlord (Glenda Larke) -- 692

Shaman's Crossing (Robin Hobb) -- 607

The Assassin's Apprentice (ibid) -- 464

The Assassin's Quest (ibid) -- 757

The Royal Assassin (ibid) -- 675

A Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula K. Le Guin) -- 182

The Tombs of Atuan (ibid) -- 180

The Host (Stephenie Meyer) -- 619 (much better than Twilight)

A College of Magics (Caroline Stevermer) -- 468

A Crack in the Line (Michael Lawrence) -- 323

Tamar (Mal Peet) -- 420

The Testing (Joelle Charbonneau) -- 352

Divergent (Veronica Roth) -- 487

Insurgent (ibid) -- 544

The Selection (Kiera Cass) -- 352

The Elite (ibid) -- 336

Matched (Ally Condie) -- 384

Crossed  (ibid) -- 400

Reached (ibid) -- 512

Graceling (Kristin Cashore) -- 471

Black Prism (Brent Weeks) -- 679

The Night Angel Trilogy (ibid) -- 2003

Unfettered (Various Authors) -- 518

Father Elijiah (Michael O'Brien) -- 612

I read quite a few free ebooks from amazon when I first got home, but I was devouring pretty much anything and I don't really remember what I read specifically. I'll try to keep this better updated.  Thanks! :)

Deus te Amat

The above total is 17,779.

Can I just put the total page total of the random books from amazon? or do the titles need to be listed as well?