An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Mark of Calth (416 pages) edited by Laurie Golding

Unplanned by Abby Johnson (288 pages).

Not my first time reading Unplanned, but it's always such an amazing story of God's grace that I keep going back to it.  Abby Johnson was a clinic director for Planned Parenthood, who started there with the belief she was helping women and helping make abortion rare; however, after eight years with them, she had to help with an ultrasound guided abortion.  That was when God used that horrifying event to help heal the wounds of her own two abortions, a previous failed marriage, and the collapse of her life around her (except for her husband) as she found herself being sued by her former employers.

Well I won't be reading tomorrow morning! I have my driver's test at 9, so if you all could pray for me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Well... I'll be asleep while you are testing, but I am praying it goes like a dream!  :cloud9:  ;)

Still no wake up call for the computer.... will see what I can do about an accounting tomorrow or Thurs.  HOPEFULLY the format is on the backup.... PLLEEEEZE Lord?

Yeah! I passed! Even though there was snow and nobody could see where the driving lanes were supposed to be! Now I can go back to reading with no worries! ;) Thanks for the prayers! :dance:

Yeah! I passed! Even though there was snow and nobody could see where the driving lanes were supposed to be! Now I can go back to reading with no worries! ;) Thanks for the prayers! :dance:

I am so glad!! Congratulations!  That you could pass in that kind of weather means you are a super driver.

My St. Thomas got here today!!!!!!!!!!!!! I came home from work sick and the book was in the mailbox.  Thank you Fairhope Books for actually getting it to me.

I have finished, Thomas Aquinas, Theologian by Thomas O'Meara.  I had designated it as my challenge book.  It has 302 pages.

I have read The Book Thief, 578 pages and The Kitchen Madonna, by Rumer Godden, 103 pages.  I found the Kitchen Madonna on the shelf  at the library with Brede, even though it is a children's book.  It is a very sweet book and would be a good read for folks who like icons.

So...St. Thomas Aquinas, Shorter Summa, is my next and most likely last challenge book.  I have read about 15 pages so far and am Googling for the philosophical terms, but am understanding it, mostly.  I am doing much better that when I read O'Meara's book and he was summing up the whole ST in 150 pages.  Yea St. Thomas.

In our used bookstore, I found a study edition of The Interior Castle. for $2.00.  May start it or just focus on St. Thomas.  

Congrats, Chrys! Was it your first time taking the test?

I am so glad!! Congratulations!  That you could pass in that kind of weather means you are a super driver.

Thanks! I'm very happy! Yes it was my first time taking the test, and I was pretty nervous about it. And I had no idea it would be so short! I think it literally took about 7 minutes. I owe my dad a huge thanks for teaching me how to parallel park and do the 90 degree back-up this last weekend. Those parts went perfectly on the test. The only thing the instructor said was that I was actually going a bit to fast given the weather (cold and snowy). .... Anyway, YEAH! And thanks so much for the prayers again! :)

Oh, and here is a book that I forgot to report the other day: (Or, I thought I didn't report it. If I did, you don't need to add it again because I only read it once!)

Fall of a Kingdom by Hilari Bell  422 pgs

ChristinaTherese

I just read A Little Princess, by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It was 294 pages. It was one of my favorite books as a little girl, so when I went to the bookstore yesterday (because my mom suggested that (since I've not been having a very good week at all) I read Dr. Seuss or something, which can't be found in the school library to my knowledge) I couldn't resist buying it and The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden is up next, and I should finish it before this long weekend is out.... Depending on how much I do important things like buying groceries, cooking, cleaning, and homework. I was up until 2:30 last night though because of a combination of reading and laundry I couldn't put off any longer. (By the way, don't pour undiluted bleach on blood stains. Use hydrogen peroxide. Bleach just fades everything.... But if I was feeling artistic I might try to bleach my sheets more and see if I could make them look aw.esome. (What can I say. I forgot how I normally deal with stains.))