An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='04 July 2010 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1278295775' post='2137779']
This bolded bit makes me think of the painting of "The Temptation of St. Thomas Aquinas" by Velasquez:

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Religious/TemptationofSTAVelasquez.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a little snippet about this incident:

:love:
[/quote]

I remember reading about that and falling in love with the Dominican order all over again. There are just so many wonderful, amazing saints like Rose of Lima, Martin de Porres, Catherine of Siena, etc. I am so attracted to their lives that I want to be just like them. :love:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='04 July 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1278295775' post='2137779']
This bolded bit makes me think of the painting of "The Temptation of St. Thomas Aquinas" by Velasquez:

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Religious/TemptationofSTAVelasquez.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a little snippet about this incident:

[/quote]

Definitely :love:
I like paintings of St Catherine of Sienas mystical marriage in particular because of the role Mary plays in lifting her hand :love:
[img]http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/102225/1/The-Mystic-Marriage-Of-St-Catherine-Of-Siena.jpg[/img]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='04 July 2010 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1278298392' post='2137798']
Definitely :love:
I like paintings of St Catherine of Sienas mystical marriage in particular because of the role Mary plays in lifting her hand :love:
[img]http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/102225/1/The-Mystic-Marriage-Of-St-Catherine-Of-Siena.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

This is the story behind that picture:

[i]While Catherine knelt in prayer [during Shrove Tuesday] beseeching God to grant her a perfect faith that nothing should be able to sever the betrothment between Jesus and herself, Christ appeared and said: "Because thou hast shunned the vanities of the world and forbidden pleasure, and hast fixed on Me alone all the desires of thy heart, I intend, whilst thy family are rejoicing in profane feasts and festivals, to celebrate the wedding which is to unite Me to thy soul. I am going, according to My promise, to espouse thee in faith." And whilst He was yet speaking there appeared His glorious Mother, Saint John the Evangelist, Saint Paul, saint Dominic, and the prophet David. Then, amid tunes of unearthly sweetness played by the Royal Psalmist, the Mother of God approached, and taking the right hand of Catherine presented it to her Son. Jesus condescended with love and placed upon her finger a golden ring, set with four precious stones, in the center of which sparkled a large diamond. Then the Bridegroom spoke again: "I thy Creator and Redeemer espouse thee in faith and thou shalt preserve it pure, until we celebrate together in heaven the eternal nuptials of the lamb. Daughter, now act courageously; accomplish without feat the works that My Providence will confide to thee." The vision vanished, but the mystic ring was ever visible to her, though invisible to everybody else.[/i]

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='04 July 2010 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1278291775' post='2137757']
She's out to get you, vee8!

Better watch out....that Therese <_< she might have some Flaming Arrows of Love, too. :cupid: :eek:

She's even infiltrated the Poor Clares.

Who's next... maybe she'll go after the Jesuits. :sweat:
[/quote]
She is out to get me! It's very strange, I don't understand why her or why me but this past Friday something happened again that was like her way of saying hi. My journey with her began three years ago when I found a prayer card to her, and then after so much has happened I found another prayer card to her in basically the same circumstances I found the first one! Not to mention a million other little "coincidences" it's either she's stalking me or I'm nuts. But we can be nuts together since Thomas Aquinas is stalking LC and Martin de porres is after MM :grouphug:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='04 July 2010 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1278299131' post='2137802']
She is out to get me! It's very strange, I don't understand why her or why me but this past Friday something happened again that was like her way of saying hi. My journey with her began three years ago when I found a prayer card to her, and then after so much has happened I found another prayer card to her in basically the same circumstances I found the first one! Not to mention a million other little "coincidences" it's either she's stalking me or I'm nuts. But we can be nuts together since Thomas Aquinas is stalking LC and Martin de porres is after MM :grouphug:
[/quote]

LOL, I would say that both Martin de Porres AND Catherine of Siena are out to get me. They have already claimed me as their own!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='04 July 2010 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1278298921' post='2137801']

[i]While Catherine knelt in prayer [during Shrove Tuesday] beseeching God to grant her a perfect faith that nothing should be able to sever the betrothment between Jesus and herself, Christ appeared and said: "Because thou hast shunned the vanities of the world and forbidden pleasure, and hast fixed on Me alone all the desires of thy heart, I intend, whilst thy family are rejoicing in profane feasts and festivals, to celebrate the wedding which is to unite Me to thy soul. I am going, according to My promise, to espouse thee in faith." And whilst He was yet speaking there appeared His glorious Mother, Saint John the Evangelist, Saint Paul, saint Dominic, and the prophet David. Then, amid tunes of unearthly sweetness played by the Royal Psalmist, the Mother of God approached, and taking the right hand of Catherine presented it to her Son. Jesus condescended with love and placed upon her finger a golden ring, set with four precious stones, in the center of which sparkled a large diamond. Then the Bridegroom spoke again: "I thy Creator and Redeemer espouse thee in faith and thou shalt preserve it pure, until we celebrate together in heaven the eternal nuptials of the lamb. Daughter, now act courageously; accomplish without feat the works that My Providence will confide to thee." The vision vanished, but the mystic ring was ever visible to her, though invisible to everybody else.[/i]

[/quote]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='04 July 2010 - 10:08 PM' timestamp='1278299281' post='2137804']
LOL, I would say that both Martin de Porres AND Catherine of Siena are out to get me. They have already claimed me as their own!
[/quote]

Two saints huh, did you try ignoring the first one so the second one was sent after you as well? Thats what happened to me because I tried so hard to ignore Therese that I found Teresa of avila after me as well <_< :paperbag: :annoyed:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='04 July 2010 - 11:33 PM' timestamp='1278300802' post='2137809']
Two saints huh, did you try ignoring the first one so the second one was sent after you as well? Thats what happened to me because I tried so hard to ignore Therese that I found Teresa of avila after me as well <_< :paperbag: :annoyed:
[/quote]

Yep! I ignored Catherine of Siena right about the time I decided to go to a "Come and See" retreat this past January with the CFR Sisters. She started in December last year and I thought it was just a coincidence, but she didn't give up so she sent her Dominican brother after me as well. :hehe:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='04 July 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1278301421' post='2137812']
Yep! I ignored Catherine of Siena right about the time I decided to go to a "Come and See" retreat this past January with the CFR Sisters. She started in December last year and I thought it was just a coincidence, but she didn't give up so she sent her Dominican brother after me as well. :hehe:
[/quote]

Haha nice :thumbsup:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='05 July 2010 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1278363640' post='2138060']
Random clothes post.
So I bought a bathing suit today which I think everyone hates doing but its the first time I bought one since Ive started discerning a vocation. As much as I like swimming and going to the beach etc in a way it would be nice to be in a habit just so I dont have to be so self conscious anymore. Not to mention the selection was pretty slim so the bikini I bought Im definitely going to wear a rash guard and board shorts with because there isnt much to it! Also I dont wear skirts that often but recently Ive found myself thinking hmm where can I find long skirts that could be used IF I ever do a live in. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img] Im not at that point yet, I havent asked to do so and they would still have to accept which I doubt would happen, but its so weird that I find myself thinking what will I wear!
[/quote]

If you want a selection of relatively modest swimsuits (that are still attractive, in my opinion) look in the Lands' End catalog or on their Web site. [url="http://www.landsend.com"]www.landsend.com[/url] They have a very large selection of swimsuits, including tankinis--which are two- piece, but look like one-piece suits. They have bikinis, too, that are a little more modest than the usual bikini. And, some of their suits come with matching shorts, etc. Their swimwear normally goes on sale before the end of the summer. If you found something you liked from Lands' End, I get coupons from Lands' End virtually every day in my email, and I could buy whatever you wanted, but have it sent directly to you. Look at Lands' End clothes, too, for some longer skirts.

L.L. Bean is another good Web site for clothes, although not as good for swimsuits. Both Lands' End and L. L. Bean offer longer skirts as well as normal length skirts. Actually, longer skirts that are very pretty aren't that hard to find--I've seen them in a number of catalogs.

There are lots of catalogs out there, so if you don't like anything on those two Web sites, let me know, and I can give you more ideas of possible Web sites. I don't go to the mall anymore, I buy all my clothes on the Web.

Note to Vee: After I posted my reply, I saw that you deleted your post? Why? After I gave you such a useful answer. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]

If you want me to delete both your quote and my answer, speak up quickly and I will do so while I can. But, I thought your question was a good one.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

:lol: I second guessed my post and so deleted without seeing your reply first. Actually I'm glad you caught it and gave such a helpful answer, not only to me but possibly to others as well.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='04 July 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1278298921' post='2137801']

[/quote]

That is beautiful... :love:

Thank you for posting that, MM! And thank you for posting that picture, vee8!!! I just might have to print that one out!

TeresaBenedicta

There's a good chance that I've scored a job interview for a DRE position!! [i]Deo gratias[/i]!! I just have to send in the archdiocesan application and they said they'd call to schedule an interview!!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='06 July 2010 - 05:39 PM' timestamp='1278452395' post='2138632']
There's a good chance that I've scored a job interview for a DRE position!! [i]Deo gratias[/i]!! I just have to send in the archdiocesan application and they said they'd call to schedule an interview!!
[/quote]
YAY!!! :yahoo: