An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='26 July 2010 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1280179430' post='2148410']
I've never really had a spiritual director. I'm weird like that.
[/quote]

I don't know that you're weird for not having had a spiritual director. Although many women on VS have one, I'd venture to say that the vast majority of Catholics don't have one.

I find it VERY hard to talk about my spiritual feelings--it's a very personal subject. I admire the people who can talk about them. I don't think I've ever talked to someone in person (not on the Internet) about my spirtuality since my marriage ended. And, never to someone like a priest.

If the time comes that it is necessary for you to have a spiritual director, God has ways of not giving you a choice. He's pushy that way. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img]

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='26 July 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1280179579' post='2148413']
I'm sure it's very frustrating, but that fact that you long to enter RIGHT NOW is also a good sign, because it means that you're not having second thoughts or doubts that you have a vocation (although, from other people's stories, doubts will probably still crop up when you least want them).

I got behind on my reading and somehow missed that you got the job you applied for! Congratulations!

Now you can go out and buy lots of designer clothes! (Just kidding, because you were worried that having income might make you become too materialistic.) Again, as you said, the fact that you have such a strong desire to enter will make it easier for you to live very frugally, because every penny saved will allow you to enter sooner!

Sorry I've forgotten, but there are so many women on VS who are actively discerning that I lose track. Do you already have a community that you plan to enter or are you still discerning the right community? I should know that. Sorry.
[/quote]

Yeah, I do think that it's a blessing, God granting me to keep the desire to enter RIGHT NOW. It's one of those, "Thank you Jesus for loving me in this way" sorts of blessings (ie: definitely a blessing, but also something that tends to make you suffer in some way). It's good motivation, like you say, for putting as much as humanly possible of my salary toward my student loans. :) But, alas, it doesn't protect me from the doubts about my vocation. Those still manage to crop up, in varied and sometimes masked ways. Those can be tough to deal with sometimes, but then I am reminded of some advice my spiritual director gave me when I was in the midst of discerning my particular community... He made me wait a month longer than I wanted before allowing me to apply, saying that I should give that time to the Lord, basically praying, "Alright Jesus, this is what I think You want from me. This is the path I intend to go on, because it's what I think is Your will. So if it's not, You have to make it very clear to me. I want to do Your will, not my own. So, let me know if You want something different from me." My SD said, and I think he was very wise in this regard, that not only would this month give me the opportunity to hear God if He wanted me to go in a different direction, but also that I would be able to look back on that month during times of trial and take comfort in the fact that I had such moral certitude about my vocation.

And that has definitely been true for me. I can look back at the time and prayer I spent discerning before coming to the point of action and know that I was completely open to God's will, that I discerned slowly and with the help of an experienced spiritual director. So now, even when I'm hounded by serious doubts, I look back and can make an act of the will to continue going forth with the decision I have made. Of course, this doesn't mean that I am closed to God showing me something different. :)

I don't think I've officially shared this with phatmass, but I may have alluded to it. I've been accepted into a religious community, entrance pending on the payment of my student loans. :D

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='26 July 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1280191312' post='2148492']

I don't think I've officially shared this with phatmass, but I may have alluded to it. I've been accepted into a religious community, entrance pending on the payment of my student loans. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Congratulations!! I am truly happy for you![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif[/img]

And, when the time is right for you to tell us, we'll be eagerly awaiting to hear what Community is going to be lucky enough to have you!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh! I'm :yahoo: :woot: because my copy of God the Joy of my Life by St Teresa of the Andes arrived today, ahead of the expected delivery day too :yahoo: :book:

Edited by vee8

Wow. Congrats to the both of you. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/incense.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/marriage.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/book.gif[/img]

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='26 July 2010 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1280191312' post='2148492']
I don't think I've officially shared this with phatmass, but I may have alluded to it. I've been accepted into a religious community, entrance pending on the payment of my student loans. :D
[/quote]

:woot: YAY!!! I am so excited for you!!! :woot:

And the time will fly faster than you think. So don't get discouraged!! St. Catherine wanted to enter when she was 16 but still had to wait until she was 18 or 19 (i forget which). But I can't imagine how hard that was, she was such a go getter!! You've got lots of friends to help you through this waiting period, and beyond!!

A random book report.
I started reading the Teresa of the Andes book and it has a rather long introduction (180 pages or so) that is a very glowing and at times repetitive description of her life by someone else. After around 100 pages of that I flipped to where her actual diary begins and started to read from there. I read a bit and began to feel discouraged because of her seeming perfection and holiness. I mean locutions from Jesus starting at her first Communion, and I guess locutions from Mary as well. She never did anything THAT bad and certainly no mortal sins so I was feeling put off because I found her hard to relate to. Then I lost my bookmark so was flipping through to find my page and stopped on a page where a sentence caught my eye, something that was incredibly accurate to my life and I was like hmmm I see, now THIS I can relate to. Im not sure what God wants me to get out of that book but if its even that one point I think it was worth it but I will keep reading anyway and see if there might be anything else.

TeresaBenedicta

Praise God!!!

I just received in the mail today two checks, totaling $1,000 to go toward my student loans!! One was from an anonymous (well, I have his name because it's on the check, clearly, but he doesn't wish for me to write a thank you letter or the like) donor through connections at my school and one was from a newly ordained priest friend of mine. :shock: I was expecting the first (I got an e-mail about it from the Pres.'s office), but definitely not the second one!!! God is so good!!!

People are so generous!!

On a slightly different note-- a friend from high school (one year my elder) has asked if I'd be her sponsor for adult confirmation!! I was totally caught off-guard by that one!! I'm so excited that she's taking this step!! She was never really involved in her faith and was somewhat fallen away during high school. I remember a few conversations during the summers while we were in college (we both just graduated this year) where we talked about the faith and I remember a genuine interest on her behalf. Yay!!

So God is good (all the time).

And I start work one week from today!!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='02 August 2010 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1280759646' post='2150882']
Praise God!!!

I just received in the mail today two checks, totaling $1,000 to go toward my student loans!! One was from an anonymous (well, I have his name because it's on the check, clearly, but he doesn't wish for me to write a thank you letter or the like) donor through connections at my school and one was from a newly ordained priest friend of mine. :shock: I was expecting the first (I got an e-mail about it from the Pres.'s office), but definitely not the second one!!! God is so good!!!

People are so generous!!

On a slightly different note-- a friend from high school (one year my elder) has asked if I'd be her sponsor for adult confirmation!! I was totally caught off-guard by that one!! I'm so excited that she's taking this step!! She was never really involved in her faith and was somewhat fallen away during high school. I remember a few conversations during the summers while we were in college (we both just graduated this year) where we talked about the faith and I remember a genuine interest on her behalf. Yay!!

[/quote]

Wow!!!!!!! God is really working it out so you can enter sooner rather than later!!!! Praise God for the generosity of others!!!!! :yahoo:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='02 August 2010 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1280759646' post='2150882']
Praise God!!!

People are so generous!!

[/quote]

Woohooooooo!!!

:yahoo:

Congratulations, TB!!! (On both the donation AAAAND on being asked to be a sponsor!)

Sometimes, when it rains it pours -- blessed be God! -- for the much needed rain!

Praise God!!!

People are so generous!!

[/quote]
YAY TB!!! that is so awesome!! God is so good! At this rate your loans will be paid off in no time!! :D

laetitia crucis

I mailed off my Visa application today. The whole nine yards. Passports (past and present), various Visa forms and the Appendix, the Biometric details confirmation, etc.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I think I checked everything as one that has OCD would. :sweat:

Aaand now it's [i]completely[/i] out of my hands. Literally.

I'm somewhat relieved, but have a new infestation of butterflies in my tummy. :lol:

:bigpray:

In other news, I met with my pastor last Tuesday to ask for help in regards to my dowry. He suggested I write a little blurb or letter for the bulletin and get it to him before the next morning -- and I did. This past weekend he placed the letter in the bulletin asking for spiritual and financial help, especially towards my dowry. Today I went to my mailbox and received [i]two[/i] checks and promised prayers -- one for $20, the other for $200. My jaw dropped.

Furthermore, there was additional jaw-dropping on the Feast of St. Ignatius Loyola. :shield: :love: Well, this goes BEYOND jaw-dropping. It's more like... I don't even have the words for it. Shock. Joy. Tears. More shock. Heck, I'm STILL shocked! :shock: I received an anonymous promised pledge to cover the [b]entirety [/b]of my dowry!!! (!!!1!one11!!1eleventyone!!1!)

Yep.. I said ENTIRETY.

Did I say I was shocked?

[size="7"]S-H-O-C-K-E-D [b]SHOCKED[/b].[/size]

:bigshock:

Someone needs to do this to me: :bash:

God is [i]so [/i]crazy.

He's even giving me this "extra" fundage to go towards the "Postulant Supplies List". :sadder:

I'm just shocked, I tell you.

Shocked. :stretcher:

I ask your prayers for those that have so generously given to my vocational plight and to those that continue to give. May God bless them abundantly. I think only in heaven will it be possible for them to my the extent of my gratitude. And shock. :sweat:

Like I said earlier: when it rains, it POURS. :rain: I guess God got tired of my "cold feet" and fretting. Or maybe St. Joseph got tired of my yapping. :hehehe:

lookingforfaith

Oh my goodness!!!

GOD IS SO GOOD! Oh man, I'm so happy for you!!! (I'm pretty much in happy tears for you!)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 August 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1280885555' post='2151776']
I mailed off my Visa application today. The whole nine yards. Passports (past and present), various Visa forms and the Appendix, the Biometric details confirmation, etc.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I think I checked everything as one that has OCD would. :sweat:

Aaand now it's [i]completely[/i] out of my hands. Literally.

I'm somewhat relieved, but have a new infestation of butterflies in my tummy. :lol:

:bigpray:

In other news, I met with my pastor last Tuesday to ask for help in regards to my dowry. He suggested I write a little blurb or letter for the bulletin and get it to him before the next morning -- and I did. This past weekend he placed the letter in the bulletin asking for spiritual and financial help, especially towards my dowry. Today I went to my mailbox and received [i]two[/i] checks and promised prayers -- one for $20, the other for $200. My jaw dropped.

Furthermore, there was additional jaw-dropping on the Feast of St. Ignatius Loyola. :shield: :love: Well, this goes BEYOND jaw-dropping. It's more like... I don't even have the words for it. Shock. Joy. Tears. More shock. Heck, I'm STILL shocked! :shock: I received an anonymous promised pledge to cover the [b]entirety [/b]of my dowry!!! (!!!1!one11!!1eleventyone!!1!)

Yep.. I said ENTIRETY.

Did I say I was shocked?

[size="7"]S-H-O-C-K-E-D [b]SHOCKED[/b].[/size]

:bigshock:

Someone needs to do this to me: :bash:

God is [i]so [/i]crazy.

He's even giving me this "extra" fundage to go towards the "Postulant Supplies List". :sadder:

I'm just shocked, I tell you.

Shocked. :stretcher:

I ask your prayers for those that have so generously given to my vocational plight and to those that continue to give. May God bless them abundantly. I think only in heaven will it be possible for them to my the extent of my gratitude. And shock. :sweat:

Like I said earlier: when it rains, it POURS. :rain: I guess God got tired of my "cold feet" and fretting. Or maybe St. Joseph got tired of my yapping. :hehehe:
[/quote]

PRAISED BE JESUS CHRIST! That is wonderful news!!!!! :yahoo: