An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='05 August 2010 - 09:10 PM' timestamp='1281057032' post='2152954']
I wonder if they smell worse than ginkgo trees which are THE worst smelling trees IMO.

Edit typo :sweat:
[/quote]

A superior I knew was really into elderberries, actually. They're supposedly really good for your immune system. Her parents would buy us multiple bottles of this elderberry syrup and each winter, the bottle would go around the table and each of us had to take a dose. :lol:

Some of the Sisters hated it. I didn't think it tasted too bad. Kind of nice, really. Smelled like potent berries. Haha!

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='05 August 2010 - 09:11 PM' timestamp='1281057104' post='2152956']
Maybe St. Ignatius is trying to make up to you for not being able to be a Jesuit. Personally, I think it's time you to have a talk with St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Dominic. For all the loyalty you are showing them, they should be coming through with some money!

Maybe it's just that St. Joseph and St. Ignatius are more practical, while the other two are so busy writing and praying the Rosary that they forget about basic stuff.

We may have to replace some of the paintings in the PPC......
[/quote]

:lol: You could be absolutely right about Sts. Dominic and Aquinas; however, I have heard that St. Ignatius was [i]quite[/i] the letter writer! Rather prolific, really! That makes me happy to hear since I'm fond of letter writing, though since I'm so verbose I tend to take a long time getting my letters out. :sweat:

Anyhoo -- I am ALL for having images of St. Ignatius throughout the PCC! :woot: :woot: :woot:

:love:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='05 August 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1281057814' post='2152961']
Who is she?!?!?
[/quote]

I'd rather it be Therese <_< over... Gemma... <_< <_<

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='05 August 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1281041691' post='2152863']
Story time!

So, I went to our local Grotto today for noon Mass. As I was walking out I noticed a group of four or five Franciscan sisters eating lunch at a picnic table just outside the visitors center. I had seen one of the sisters there before, working in the gift shop, and had wanted to approach her ('cause that's what I do when I see nuns LOL), but didn't have the nerve. So I walked past the sisters, intending to go to my car, but decided at the last minute to slip in the doors near them into the visitor's center. Now, I had not intention of purchasing anything or even really looking around, as I'd been in there a million times. But I wandered around a bit, trying to get up my nerve to approach the sisters on the way out.

I managed to do it-- I approached the sisters, apologizing for interrupting their lunch, and asking what Order they were. Franciscans, of course. I had known that much, but I was really curious as to which "flavor" so to speak (you don't often see habited nuns in my area, to say the least). So I asked and they laughed at me (I guess "What flavor" is a funny way of asking what particular community they're a part of). I knew I had recognized their veil! Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist!

Anywho, I got to chatting with them and come to find out, they have a local community, teaching at a school and running a small retreat center!! And further more, the sister who works at the Grotto apparently goes to daily Mass at the parish that I work for!!!!

So, they gave me their number and enthusiastically encouraged me to come and visit sometime. I'm so pumped!! I've been going through "nun withdrawal", LOL!! But, in all seriousness, I'm really excited that they're nearby. It's comforting, for some reason. And to know that I'd be able to come visit them, pray with them. I guess it's just always encouraging for me to be around women who have given their lives to Jesus. There's something comforting in it.

Yay! God is good!
[/quote]

TB, this is AWESOME!!!!! And the fact that they're LOCAL and that one of the Sisters goes to the daily Mass at the parish [i]you[/i] work for... all I can say is: :yahoo: and :woot:

GOD IS SO VERY GOOD!!!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='05 August 2010 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1281057814' post='2152961']
Who is she?!?!?
[/quote]

I was assuming this question about Therese was kidding, but if it's not, speak up, and someone more knowledgable (and less biased) than I will give you a serious answer.

I still don't know who St. Gemma was, except it sounds like she was REALLY holy. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]

lookingforfaith

it wasn't about either one...she said that "SHE was under the tree" I was wondering who she was. Was it a statue or something?? *Confused*

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='05 August 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1281060799' post='2152988']
I still don't know who St. Gemma was, except it sounds like she was REALLY holy. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]
[/quote]

From a book description [i]St. Gemma Galgani (1878-1903) was a mystic, stigmatist, visionary, ecstatic, victim soul, discerner of spirits, seer of hidden things, prophetess, spouse of Christ, zealot for souls and devotee of the Poor Souls in Purgatory. She died at only 25.[/i] Oh she was Italian too.

While she does seem so super holy and thus, at least for me, hard to relate to there is one aspect of her life some might be able to identify with and that is she tried to enter the Visitation convent but was rejected due to her poor health. She also desired to be a Passionist but died before the convent was built.

Edited by vee8

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='05 August 2010 - 11:16 PM' timestamp='1281064564' post='2153034']
From a book description [i]St. Gemma Galgani (1878-1903) was a mystic, stigmatist, visionary, ecstatic, victim soul, discerner of spirits, seer of hidden things, prophetess, spouse of Christ, zealot for souls and devotee of the Poor Souls in Purgatory. She died at only 25.[/i] Oh she was Italian too.

While she does seem so super holy and thus, at least for me, hard to relate to there is one aspect of her life some might be able to identify with and that is she tried to enter the Visitation convent but was rejected due to her poor health. [b]She also desired to be a Passionist but died before the convent was built.[/b]
[/quote]

I do think it's pretty cool that she was able to be buried in the Passionist habit, though, and to my knowledge (which isn't much :paperbag: ) I think she is considered a Passionist, right? Perhaps an "honorary" member of the Passionists?

:idontknow:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='05 August 2010 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1281066516' post='2153069']
I do think it's pretty cool that she was able to be buried in the Passionist habit, though, and to my knowledge (which isn't much :paperbag: ) I think she is considered a Passionist, right? Perhaps an "honorary" member of the Passionists?

:idontknow:
[/quote]

Oh I didnt know she was buried in the habit but ya to my limited knowledge she is considered a Passionist or like you said an honorary one.

[img]http://img.aquinasandmore.com/gemma.jpg[/img] [img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2205/2435169941_0e6894eb78.jpg[/img]

I remember hearing of another saint, but I forget who, who was told by Jesus or someone heavenly she would never wear the habit of ____ Order in this life but in the next and was buried in it. I think it was either the Franciscans or Dominicans. Hmmm :scratchhead:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='05 August 2010 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1281067654' post='2153096']
Oh I didnt know she was buried in the habit but ya to my limited knowledge she is considered a Passionist or like you said an honorary one.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2205/2435169941_0e6894eb78.jpg[/img]

I remember hearing of another saint, but I forget who, who was told by Jesus or someone heavenly she would never wear the habit of ____ Order in this life but in the next and was buried in it. I think it was either the Franciscans or Dominicans. Hmmm [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_head.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I don't mean to be irreverent, especially since I have no idea of the identity of the man in the picture, but in this painting, they have given him Spock ears. I like Spock, so that is a compliment. (And, a great many women on VS have Avatars wearing Spock ears, so it's obviously a good thing.)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='05 August 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1281064564' post='2153034']

While she does seem so super holy and thus, at least for me, hard to relate to there is one aspect of her life some might be able to identify with and that is she tried to enter the Visitation convent but was rejected due to her poor health. She also desired to be a Passionist but died before the convent was built.
[/quote]

Oh my! If she comes to visit us in the PPC, we are going to have to construct a special cell for her with soundproof walls, and floor and furniture from which we can easily wash blood. I understand that stigmata are a holy gift from God, but they also sound inconvenient. Well, nothing is perfect, I guess. If she blesses us with a visit, we'll let her wear her own habit, because I think that ours wouldn't express her charism very well. I'm kind of afraid of holy people who are "discerners of spirits and seers of hidden things." I try to be as open as possible, but even I don't want the world to know ALL the idiot things I've done in my life! Being humble is one thing, feeling like a total noob is another. I wouldn't feel worthy to even be in her presence!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='05 August 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1281068722' post='2153117']
JMJ
That is Saint Gerard Madjella. He is the Patron of Expectant Mothers...very sweet boy

[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I knew he had to be a good and holy person. I just found his ears ironic (or at least the way they were painted in this picture--for all I know, in RL they were totally different), considering the large numbers of fans of Star Trek on Phatmass.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='05 August 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1281068722' post='2153117']
JMJ
That is Saint Gerard Madjella. He is the Patron of Expectant Mothers...very sweet boy

[/quote]

Actually the description where I got it from here http://passionistcharism.wordpress.com/2008/04/23/relics-of-st-gemma-and-st-gabriel-in-australia/
says its St Gabriel of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows but the two kind of do look alike. Here is St Gerard
[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KvTBomTnF1o/SLAyQO4pEFI/AAAAAAAAFP8/6yym8OJzHSs/s400/St.+Gerard+HC.jpg[/img]

edited to add link

Edited by vee8

JMJ
He looks like alittle elf! How ever, he was one tough cookie. He was accused of immorality with a women , and had his facultiues revoked :-( But he stayed faithful, and then his superior got the real story, and everything was fixed...faculties being revoked, btw, is when a priest is no longer allowed to say Mass, hear confessions, and things like that[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohno.gif[/img]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='05 August 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1281068743' post='2153118']
Oh my! If she comes to visit us in the PPC, we are going to have to construct a special cell for her with soundproof walls, and floor and furniture from which we can easily wash blood. I understand that stigmata are a holy gift from God, but they also sound inconvenient. Well, nothing is perfect, I guess. If she blesses us with a visit, we'll let her wear her own habit, because I think that ours wouldn't express her charism very well. I'm kind of afraid of holy people who are "discerners of spirits and seers of hidden things." I try to be as open as possible, but even I don't want the world to know ALL the idiot things I've done in my life! Being humble is one thing, feeling like a total noob is another. I wouldn't feel worthy to even be in her presence!
[/quote]

Interestingly Gemma's stigmata were timed per the timing of the Passion. They would appear on Thursday evening around 8pm and disappear on Sunday, then be back again on Thursday etc etc.

I think with people who are discerners of spirits and seers of hidden things they dont blab to the whole world what youve done, they just tell you! :lol: :mellow: