An Old School Catholic Message Board

The World Is Full Of Sheep

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1329167464' post='2386524']
As a union member, I must strongly object to your stereotyping of union workers.

Nuance, my boy, nuance.
[/quote]

Its ok, as a 15 year old none of his opinions are really informed yet.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1329185952' post='2386670']

[/quote]

My opinions are quite informed. Unions keep demanding more pay, more pensions, and an earlier retirement age. When someone asks them to razzle dazzle it and to lower things just a little bit like the governor of Wisconsin did, they flipped and sent him death threats. There are some Unions that are fair, but most are breaking this country.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1329167464' post='2386524']
As a union member, I must strongly object to your stereotyping of union workers.

Nuance, my boy, nuance.
[/quote]

Fair point.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1329185952' post='2386670']
[/quote]

Right, have to wait until the magic age of 16 and THEN your opinions are informed. Heck, it takes some until 23 years old to get a better informed understanding of Catholicism.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329193423' post='2386746']
My opinions are quite informed. Unions keep demanding more pay, more pensions, and an earlier retirement age. When someone asks them to razzle dazzle it and to lower things just a little bit like the governor of Wisconsin did, they flipped and sent him death threats. There are some Unions that are fair, but most are breaking this country.
[/quote]

teacher unions..... :whistle:

Edited by eagle_eye222001

Wow, from ages 15-18 I pretty much had the world and the universe entirely figured out.

oops.

I'd take a chill pill bro. You'll thank me for this advice in a few years.

Much luv

homeschoolmom

[quote name='rhetor4christ' timestamp='1329021545' post='2385772']
Yeah, okay.

But the real question is: What kind of bear is best?
[/quote]

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1329225928' post='2386816']
[/quote]

Bears do not...what's going on here?? WHAT ARE YOU DOING???

rhetor4christ

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1329225928' post='2386816']
[/quote]

Yesssss! :bananarap:

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1329226377' post='2386818']
Bears do not...what's going on here?? WHAT ARE YOU DOING???
[/quote]

It's from The Office :)

[quote][color=#282828]It's from The Office [/color] :)[color=#282828] [/color][/quote]

You know what, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, so I thank you.

I find it interesting that you believe that unions are only capable of demanding more pay, more benefits, and better working conditions. You're basically right, but that is actually the only reason they were founded. They make demands collectively on behalf of workers, it's what they DO. Don't expect anything else from unions, you're just kidding yourself if you do. Everybody wants more pay and benefits, and the unions are just voicing the request/demand of the workers who are part of it. When the union stops being the voice of the workers, then there is a problem.

As a union member of BCTGM Local 22, I can honestly say that I am disappointed that my union hasn't pressed for higher wages. My union recently allowed all of us to receive wage cuts and freezes, and I am currently working at minimum wage as a result. If not for the union caving in I'd probably be making closer to $8.55 instead of $7.50 an hour. They allowed our seniority system to be scrapped by the company. They allowed the company to take away our sick days. They did this so that the union would be allowed to continue working for the company, and thus continue to collect union dues. It makes me a little sick that my union actually agreed to do this, instead of making a ruckus.

But hey, what do I know about unions?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329193423' post='2386746']
[/quote]

Oh yeah, and he didn't tell them to "razzle dazzle it." He attempted to disband their union and take away their right to collective bargaining.

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1329237437' post='2386903']
Oh yeah, and he didn't tell them to "razzle dazzle it." He attempted to disband their union and take away their right to collective bargaining.
[/quote]

So you were okay with the whole involuntary union dues deduction thing. That's what the real fight was about.

Collective bargaining isn't a right. I'm in a union, we were given collective bargaining by a direct vote from the citizens in the city. They are the employers. They choose to take that agreement away later, oh well. It's not a right.

I don't know much about unions, but my friends went to do some volunteer work over the summer in Chicago and they were told they couldn't do anything, not even build a handicap ramp.. Just paint. And apparently you can't fix something in your house if it's broken, you have to call an electrician/plumber/etc to do it. They said it was because of so much union legislation(?) there. That sounds like an abuse to me... Can anyone else shed some light on this?

[quote name='rhetor4christ' timestamp='1329180585' post='2386609']
I'm also a grad student and we're one of the few universities that actually has a grad union (which has come in handy on several occasions).
But, let this not be read as power or extra funding. We still have little power, and the pay? hahaha hahahaha.
[/quote]

Oh amen. I just know that our pay is literally 1/3 of what my boss's daughter makes one state over at the same cost of living. :) And good point, not necessarily power or funding, but at least somewhat helpful...

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1329235983' post='2386893']
You know what, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, so I thank you.
[/quote]
mehh...lil comment.