An Old School Catholic Message Board

The World Is Full Of Sheep

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='SaintOlaf' timestamp='1329159272' post='2386419']
Nothing at all wrong with an honest days work, though if i were a parent Id be more concerned with my child focusing on school work especially at that young age. Ive worked since I was 14, I was also homeschooled. I put myself through college with no student loans, but even at 27 its difficult to balance work and schooling,

My children will focus on education, theyll have the rest of their hopefully long lives to work (and take care of me)
[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with focusing on education. However, if you don't make them work hard, they'll turn out lazy. Make sure this terrible thing doesn't plague your children as it has plagued most of the "civilized" nations. Once a week I wake up at five in the morning and work until six in the evening, usually with no rest in between. The work day is tough, and it's no fun, but it makes me a better person and it builds character. Despite what liberals say, don't be afraid of making your children do tough work. I'm not saying make your four year old lift the fridge with his left hand so he can sweep under it with his right, but make them do tough jobs like loading firewood. Don't worry about splinters, as they add character to the hands. :P

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1329161062' post='2386438']
if I 'work' my kid, will they turn out to be a 14 yr old know it all?
[/quote]

Your kids will be just like you no matter how hard you try to change that, Jason.... :ninja:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329158765' post='2386409']
It's a family-owned business. Besides, I don't know what the problem is. Working has made me a better person. It's laws like this that have made our generation the laziest and most ungrateful. The liberals say making a ten year old work is child abuse, but I say making him play all day without making him work is child abuse, because that child will go on to not appreciate what he has, and he will go on to have absolutely no working skills. The only work he knows is the work of avoiding work, and that won't get him anywhere in life except a Union Job.
[/quote]

So this is why 15 year olds don't have children...

[img]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/085/283/philosoraptor.jpg?1291090164[/img]

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1329158106' post='2386399']
I've now read all the pages since I last read and boy there were so many twists and turns and trollings that I don't recall all I wanted to say. So a summary of what I can remember wanting to say:
1) I've been on the internet since 3rd grade, now I'll be teaching a college course next year, don't take yourself or anyone else too seriously. I know I have that issue, and more than once I've made myself miserable for it.
2) Winnie uses trolling to try to provoke critical thought, so don't worry too much about it.
3) Ponies are amesome. No, ponies were not in this thread.

[/quote]
4) BG45 gives Winnie too much credit. But he is all thankful like.

It's a family-owned business. Besides, I don't know what the problem is. Working has made me a better person. It's laws like this that have made our generation the laziest and most ungrateful. The liberals say making a ten year old work is child abuse, but I say making him play all day without making him work is child abuse, because that child will go on to not appreciate what he has, and he will go on to have absolutely no working skills. The only work he knows is the work of avoiding work, and that won't get him anywhere in life except a Union Job.
[/quote]

[img]http://janeaustensworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/oliver-twist.jpg?w=500[/img]

Even if you don't necessarily specify that they "work," kids definitely need responsibilities early on. Certain chores to do and pets to feed and take care of. That's why my parents got us show pets that we could train for the fair, and we were in charge of keeping the calves fed and bedded down. It definitely helped a lot in the responsibility area.

Chores and responsibilities around the house are definitely the way to go until probably the age of fifteen or so, at that point if there is a need and an ability to balance the work with schooling and chores at home then that can be discussed.

Paper routes. I had a paper route in the 4th grade. I also worked in the Church office in jr high and part of high school.

When do gooders stuck their noses into the child labor in India, helping to create child labor laws, the employment moved into the black market. And prostitution. Sometimes, it is necessary for children to help bring money into the home. Sometimes, the cookie cutter education we value so much (which is a sickening denial of individuality that no Catholic should countenance) isn't the proper route. And the only way we've reached the ability to beesh on the internet is because many people before us sacrificed much in order to increase production to its present degree. We want to deny that to other countries, so that people can live far more generations in poo and misery. The bleeding hearts accidentally the economics.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1329165546' post='2386499']
I'm in the 50%, dummy.

But I am a government leech. HAHAHA
[/quote]
Edit: Ur FACE! (Let's leave moms out of this.)

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

The only work he knows is the work of avoiding work, and that won't get him anywhere in life except a Union Job.
[/quote]

As a union member, I must strongly object to your stereotyping of union workers.

Nuance, my boy, nuance.

[/quote]

Ah, family owned it works out nicely then! And I'll just agree to disagree on child labor laws; personally I always had chores and seem to still have a desire to work. When I worked for a chain that closed down, I went nuts with nothing to do and no income for a month as I worried about bills. As for "our generation", I'm dating myself when I say that I think we're in different ones, with the ten year age difference. ;) Though the same can be said of our incoming Freshmen at work...I was at a Bible study and 9/11 came up. We all knew where we were, for the most part. I was in the 10th grade in keyboarding class. One girl though was a Freshman and was in 2nd grade and didn't really remember it; it caused us all to just stare in shock.
[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1329161395' post='2386444']
4) BG45 gives Winnie too much credit. But he is all thankful like.
[/quote]
Ah, my apologies Winnie. I didn't mean to pull an English teacher on you (though thank you for the thanks)! By English teacher I mean that annoying habit of my own high school English teachers; there's a blue door in the novel. The teacher says it represents the author's depressed mood and the situation of mankind. The actual author meanwhile goes "I meant that the door is blue, that's it!"

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1329167464' post='2386524']
As a union member, I must strongly object to your stereotyping of union workers.

Nuance, my boy, nuance.
[/quote]
Quite, though I say that as one of the only non-unionized folks on campus. The janitors are unionized. The secretaries are unionized. The profs are unionized. The Grad Assistants have a non-protecting association with no power or funding lol.

rhetor4christ

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1329171232' post='2386546']

Quite, though I say that as one of the only non-unionized folks on campus. The janitors are unionized. The secretaries are unionized. The profs are unionized. The Grad Assistants have a non-protecting association with no power or funding lol.
[/quote]

I'm also a grad student and we're one of the few universities that actually has a grad union (which has come in handy on several occasions).
But, let this not be read as power or extra funding. We still have little power, and the pay? hahaha hahahaha.