An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass Quest!- Commentary Thread

PhuturePriest

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1335328110' post='2423065']
those were not guesses, there were Mikolbe, Phatmass and Sheay in number form :)
[/quote]

In case it's not obvious, it's not a number Mikolbe knows. In fact, you only know that the keypad has one number on it. It's possible it may not have any other numbers, for all you know. Someone here has been getting warmer though...

cmotherofpirl

I was thinking of it as a cellphone type keypad, numbers repping letters, like on all the stupid advertisements. Even if the numbers are worn off they still work. If I would Koble the first thing I would do is call my wife :) by typing her name.

TheresaThoma

Lets go back to the computer guys. I'm hesitant to run the cyro file. Goodness knows what that is but why not try the others?

cmotherofpirl

He was frozen and it was probably set on a timer to thaw him out. Do you think there is a timer to open the door?

TheresaThoma

My other thought is what is up with the floor being greasy and dusty (like a stove hood) that must be significant since it was mentioned in a good amount of detail.

cmotherofpirl

Can you run the star chart and check the date last accessed? Maybe he thawed immediately after freezing, it says offline, and has only been in there a few minutes. In that case its a long time til the next sammich :(

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1335329986' post='2423080']
Mikolbe decides to try out the starchart program. After all, maybe it'll provide some kind of clue. He types "STARCHARTS.EXE" and hits enter to execute the program. Suddenly the room is filled with a dazzling red light, and the computer-simulated voice of a woman speaks: "Please Select destination."

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AzJY9ZH_3No/T5eEEPmfnnI/AAAAAAAABiY/-6QcfwQeKiU/I/quest14.png[/img]
[/quote]EARTH!

I'm also thinking that that red box might be an emergency exit - you know, break glass and open door?

select destination: home

Chrysophylax

I think MIkolbe should run the CRYO.CFG to see what it does. And tell the computer to set destination: HOME.
And maybe pull the fire alarm, just in case.

Edited by Chrysophylax

brianthephysicist

1: Go to the computer and use the TIME command to find out what the date and time are. They probably won't help terribly much right now, but I have a feeling it might be useful later (if not also doubling as an easter egg for a hidden function, because come-on, who would hide something important in the date and time function of a computer???)

2: As silly as it might sound, I honestly do like table's idea on post #61 about strip searching himself to look for clues.

I suggest doing both of these things before proceeding any further, whether my idea or continuing with the starcharts and lasers. I see a lot of potential with the starcharts and lasers, but it seems too obvious to me. If you don't end up using any of these, I'll try it out.

3: Since the floor is greasy, it may be easy to set on fire. This can 1 bring attention to himself through smoke and possibly alarms and 2 may burn down one or more of the walls (but probably not the floor because it feels like stone), but it does come with the risk of burning himself alive and/or burning away all of the available oxygen causing him to suffocate.

No guts, no glory!

MIKolbe unplugs the computer from the wall and proceeds to unwrap the power cord to separate the positive and negative wires. Plugging the cord back into the wall, he can now use the arc between the two wires to ignite the grease on the floor = FIRE!!!!!!!!

Now that there is a fire on the floor, he runs back into the cryo chamber where the floor is not greasy and will not be set aflame.

Another variant on this (but extremely doubtful over time to achieve it) is to set the fire, then McGyver the cord back together, start the computer, run the CRYO command and then run into the cryo chamber, hopefully all of this is done 1 before the fire kills him and 2 before the door closes and locks him into the room with the fire.

After looking at the drawing more closely do think that what I thought at first was a fire alarm is actually a 'break glass and pull to open door' thingy. :think:

MIKolbe should break glass. :judge:

If I am wrong, MIKolbe will blow up and we won't have to worry any more... :bomb:

But we will pray for him if that should happen... :dead:

Edited by AnneLine

Brian, I think that you have been watching too many MythBusters episodes.... that sounds like something the Jr. MythBusters would suggest.... but it is clever, and who knows... you might be right!

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1335327596' post='2423062']
1) Please stop guessing numbers people. You will find the combination you need. Trust me. Keep looking.

2) Gravity is seemingly normal, otherwise I think Mikol would have mentioned it.

3) Any resemblance to Orion is coincidental, since I sprayed those white dots very randomly without even looking closely at them. :)

EDIT: 2.5) The wildcard search did not reveal a sys.config, did it? (Read my previous posts, please.)

EDIT 2: I realize I have been getting pretty lazy even by 4chan standards with this thing. Bear with me, I'm trying to puzzle out how to help you guys figure it out instead of just giving you too many non-visual clues.
[/quote]

OK, I was doing a little light science fiction short story reading (ahem!) on the Lame Board (ahem ahem) a little earlier, and I seem to be starting to slowly put a few things together. (could be totally off on this now....)

I also re-read comment above, and i think our GM is trying to tell us we are being a bunch of non-nerds, and we aren't seeing many of the clues he is giving us and we are going about this the wrong way. OK, I will accept that... sounds apt....

Then I took his subtle :bash: suggestion that we should RE-READ his posts... and found this one....
[indent=2]
[color=#ff0000]"Hmm, I wonder what files this thing [i]does[/i] have on it."[/color]

[/indent]
[indent=2][color=#ff0000]Quote[/color][/indent]

[indent=2][color=#ff0000]>SEARCH *.*
>FILES FOUND: 5

CRYO.CFG
NOTETOSELF.TXT
SAMMICHRECIPIE.TXT
STARCHARTS.EXE
GETMAIL.EXE

EOF
?>[/color]

[/indent]

That means there ARE no more files to find in that computer, unless somethig is hidden under one of those commands. Unless it is the first one, I don't think any of the others still remain to be checked... did I miss something?

I still think we should try seeing what happens if MIK should break the glass and try to push the door. Anyone else with me?

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1335325448' post='2423050']
To everyone who has suggested to type in random numbers: pretend Mikolbe has already tried them all. Try a different approach.
[/quote]

I hit the keypad with my fist..in it's face.