An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forget The President, What About The Marijuana?

dUSt

It amazes me one can defend hard liquors and make jokes about getting drunk but be so ignorant about marijuana...The only answer can be they just have no clue and believe the propoganda the government has fed them...

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1352337090' post='2506230']

And honestly, guys, if you're going to pull out a commission's teaching on drugs for marijuana, reason demands that you apply the same standard to tobacco.

Tobacco has been routinely demonstrated to cause significantly more damage over the long term than pot, and has much fewer therapeutic benefits. Yet, I don't hear anyone complaining about pipes and cigarettes. Unless you're willing to get rid of those too, and acknowledge their use as sinful, you can't say the same thing about pot.
[/quote]Big difference. Tabacco is already legal and was assimilated into society hundreds of years ago without understanding of its harmful effects. It's use has become more restricted as we've learned. You youngers probably can't imagine. You don't even see cigarette advertising.

With pot, your talking about changing its status when we already know its a drug with much more mind altering effect that tobacco.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1352338790' post='2506256']
Norseman what's wrong with the munchies ?? Lmbo really ?? And I don't get those when I smoke...But when I drink man can I eat a croutons load...no lie...
[/quote]

What's "Lmbo really"?

Anomaly are you really that strongly against pot ? You think its that bad ? I know you said you used to sell it.

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1352338080' post='2506245']
And let us be perfectly honest. Most of the people arguing against marijuana here have very little idea of what the drug actually does, and are conflating it with every other bad drug they can think of, like Acid, heroin, cocaine(but for some reason are not consistent enough to consider tobacco and alcohol in the same way). Most people here arguing against the legalization of pot are not doing so because of any legitimate concern of the law or public safety, but because they [i]dont like stoners.[/i]

And that just is not good enough.
[/quote]im pretty familiar with pot. I've probably smoked more than you've seen in your lifetime.

Pot affects your mind more than tobacco, so no comparison.

Alcohol has been accommodated in almost all cultures for thousands and thousands of years, mostly out if necessity. You're talking about adding an intoxicant use to society on a large scale for the primary purpose of recreational use.

What is the benefit of adding a drug for recreational use to society? How do you guage and regulate operation of vehicles or performing other risky tasks.

We have enough mentally compromised people and were going to add to it? It's naive to believe there is no potential for negative effects to society. What is the benefit for society?

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1352339971' post='2506274']
Anomaly are you really that strongly against pot ? You think its that bad ? I know you said you used to sell it.
[/quote]Yes. Don't get me wrong. I know pot isn't going to make every toker a junkie. It's the mindset of turning to drugs to make you feel better or cope with crapp in life. I know who my buyers were and what sells. Beer and wine are practically food, a beverage with meals. Alcohol use is centered around being in a social group, celebrating with people.

Well, ok then how about we keep it illegal, that will surely stop kids and everyone else from smoking it. Keeping it illegal will keep all that business in the hands of dangerous people, on the streets, where it belongs. I bet if we keep it illegal for a bit longer, or make it more illegal, that will really put the hurt on those cartels that make money off it being illegal, and will stop the illegal trade from killing tens of thousands of people every year.

Yes, it has to be the bright side of that deal to keep the status quo on danger and suffering for the perceived advantage of keeping almost nobody from smoking weed and eating chips.

And honestly, guys, if you're going to pull out a commission's teaching on drugs for marijuana, reason demands that you apply the same standard to tobacco.
[/quote]
Where did I say that I support the use or sale of tobacco? My mother recently died from emphysema and lung cancer caused by cigarette smoking. I am not for smoking anything.

That said, the Church has condemned any recreational use of drugs, and has done so for some time. Now if you dispute this fact, please post the magisterial documents that back up your position, so that I (and everyone else who reads this thread) can examine them and make an informed judgment.

Edited by Apotheoun

Tobacco has been routinely demonstrated to cause significantly more damage over the long term than pot, and has much fewer therapeutic benefits. Yet, I don't hear anyone complaining about pipes and cigarettes. Unless you're willing to get rid of those too, and acknowledge their use as sinful, you can't say the same thing about pot.
[/quote]
Smoking marijuana is not good for your lungs either. When my mother had marijuana prescribed to increase her appetite it was in pill form, because the doctor said that any other method of delivery would have deleterious effects upon her health.

On a humorous note, this reminds me of a classic Sanford and Son episode:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqDRLpucpMg[/media]

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1352341142' post='2506292']
Well, ok then how about we keep it illegal, that will surely stop kids and everyone else from smoking it. Keeping it illegal will keep all that business in the hands of dangerous people, on the streets, where it belongs. I bet if we keep it illegal for a bit longer, or make it more illegal, that will really put the hurt on those cartels that make money off it being illegal, and will stop the illegal trade from killing tens of thousands of people every year.

Yes, it has to be the bright side of that deal to keep the status quo on danger and suffering for the perceived advantage of keeping almost nobody from smoking weed and eating chips.
[/quote]Of course if you're dropping out of reality, you can't imagine how it could harm anyone.

It's the point about a significant shift in societal values to further promote chemical alteration of consciousness as a worthwhile pursuit. It's my that enough if a problem with alcohol abuse? Isn't that the reason why scrip drugs are abused? Is harm or ill effect only measured in ODs?

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1352339026' post='2506260']
It amazes me one can defend hard liquors and make jokes about getting drunk but be so ignorant about marijuana...The only answer can be they just have no clue and believe the propoganda the government has fed them...
[/quote]
I've been following this debate, but I see it fit to get involved here.

I drink hard alcohol. I drink it a few times per week. I have never gotten drunk or lost any state of my mind (beyond perhaps exhaustion). Drinking hard alcohol is not the same as getting drunk. Hard alcohol in moderation does not have to be a problem.

And I'm not talking about the simple stuff either. One hundred proof vodka a common thing for me, but I like even stronger stuff. Hard alcohol is not inherently bad and does not have the same deleterious attributed to drugs.

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1352342147' post='2506311']
And I'm not talking about the simple stuff either. One hundred proof vodka a common thing for me, but I like even stronger stuff. Hard alcohol is not inherently bad and does not have the same deleterious attributed to drugs.
[/quote]

Are you of eastern European ancestry?

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1352341021' post='2506290']
Yes. Don't get me wrong. I know pot isn't going to make every toker a junkie. It's the mindset of turning to drugs to make you feel better or cope with crapp in life. I know who my buyers were and what sells. Beer and wine are practically food, a beverage with meals. Alcohol use is centered around being in a social group, celebrating with people.
[/quote] alright I respect your opinion....but alcohol does a lot of harm and kills a lot of people UNLIKE marijuana...I grew up with a parent who had a problem...along with uncles and my grandpa...my bestfriends brother died in a drunkdriving accident...alcohol does A LOT of bad things...A LOT...not saying to go smoke weed is the answer...but to say its worse then alcohol or even as bad is a joke to me...i too know what I'm talking about through life experiences..but regardless I respect your opinion and thanks for that...Godbless brother...

Edited by Guest