An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church/saint Teaching And Modesty

MarysLittleFlower

i wore pants, heels, makeup and jewelry to Mass today (and a nice shirt too, don't get too excited!). oh, and no head covering. so I guess capitalizing Trollop is correct then. :|

BTW... is my Egret immodest? She is showing her mating plumage and coloration. Oh my!

Very, very immodest! Tsk tsk! :P

egret-keeps-her-baby-under-her-wing-on-a

And she is displaying her breast, too!!!!   FOR SHAME!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

Old, covered, and VERY immodest use of egret feathers.  

0c658fc9c31a969e07ad4203ba060bc6.jpg

Women were actually required BY LAW to remove these in movie theaters in San Francisco, because no one could see the screen.  I wonder if this is why the 'chapel veils' were started?   Because the hats were inappropriate for Church?

Archaeology cat

i wore pantaloons, heels, makeup and jewelry to Mass today (and a nice shirt too, don't get too excited!). oh, and no head covering. so I guess capitalizing Trollop is correct then. :|

i wore a head covering, but my nursling kept pulling on my shirt, so maybe it fits me, too.

i wore a head covering, but my nursling kept pulling on my shirt, so maybe it fits me, too.

dang, still outta props! :hehe: 

CatholicsAreKewl

Oy vey.

Have I said yet how stupid I think this debate is? And how much I wish men would spend more time calling out fellow men for their misogyny than to tell women they are immodest Trollops

We are only doing what's right for you women. You just don't know it yet.

We are only doing what's right for you women. You just don't know it yet.

Modesty is not solely about women dressed revealing and the men ogling them. It's much more than that. I would dress modest even if going to an all men's gym. It is as much to do with myself (if not more) as is it does with women.

Also, men should dress modest too. Women are not as superficial as men, but they ain't dead either. 

CatholicsAreKewl

Modesty is not solely about women dressed revealing and the men ogling them. It's much more than that. I would dress modest even if going to an all men's gym. It is as much to do with myself (if not more) as is it does with women.

Also, men should dress modest too. Women are not as superficial as men, but they ain't dead either. 

No, men don't need to be modest if they're hairy enough. I'm at the point where I can sport daisy dukes on my campus without fear of leading women to sin. In fact, I'd probably lead them to the convent. 

No, men don't need to be modest if they're hairy enough. I'm at the point where I can sport daisy dukes on my campus without fear of leading women to sin. In fact, I'd probably lead them to the convent. 

Thanks for the visual no-no-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

GeorgiiMichael

And have we forgotten that quote of Karol Wojtyla that AwedbyHisGrace posted on PAGE 2?

"While we are on the subject of dress and its relevance to the problem of modesty and immodesty it is worth drawing attention to the functional significance of differences in attire. There are certain objective situations in which even total nudity of the body is not immodest, since the proper function of nakedness in this context is not to provoke a reaction to the person as an object for enjoyment, and in just the same way the functions of particular forms of attire may vary. Thus, the body may be partially bared for physical labour, for bathing, or for a medical examination. If then we wish to pass a moral judgement on particular forms of dress we have to start from the particular functions which they serve. When a person uses such a form of dress in accordance with its objective function we cannot claim to see anything immodest in it, even if it involves partial nudity. Whereas the use of such a costume outside its proper context is immodest, and is inevitably felt to be so. For example, there is nothing immodest about the use of a bathing costume at a bathing place, but to wear it in the street or while out for a walk is contrary to the dictates of modesty."

fides quarens intellectum

There are some people who do care to dress in a manner that could lesson impure thoughts, I don't see a fault in that. I believe someone should be able to live out their modesty in such a manner without being mocked and told he/she is wrong.  I don't think anyone is saying that the more you cover, the more modest you are, the more impure thoughts you will prevent. There is no for sure way to prevent one's thoughts.  However, I believe I am my brother's keeper, insomuch that if there is something I can do or not do to aid him, I will. If I believe that by dressing in a certain manner would lessen a woman's impure thoughts towards me, then I will do my best to dress in that manner.

Me believing this way is not an indictment on you if you do not .

This is one of the best posts I've ever seen on Phatmass in regards to modesty.  Thank you.

FFI Griswold

Ave Maria! Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph the Worker!

As to how not make this look frumpy... that's a whole journey for me, trying to figure that out. I came across this video by SheisCatholic and I think - although a few of these bathing suits are still a little revealing for me (the really short shorts/skirts), other ones (in the majority) seem more modest and pretty too :) I liked the ones that she posted links to in the websites and said she liked - the darker ones that are kind of athletic looking, I don't think they look frumpy, though people might kind of stare at them among a sea of bikinis... but oh well! It's a big improvement imo :)  since those bathing suits tend to be really pricey, she also gives some ideas on what you can do yourself - I was thinking of this too, just wearing stuff over a regular bathing suit. Instead of board shorts, one can also wear sort of leggings with a skirt (just important for it to be the right fabric so it's safe and not cold). I remember one time, I went swimming and wore something over my bathing suit (it was my first time trying that) and I was amazed at how warm it was in the water! I always felt really cold before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bAKcUDjAc

edit: hope this doesn't sound preachy, lol, I'm just sharing my own personal perspective on this!

SheisCatholic's family are friends to the FI! She's also done a few episodes on airmaria.com as well.

"Don't take responsibility for guys looking"

"he needs to man up and take control of avoiding the near occasion of sin."

There are some very dangerous sentiments in this thread. Please stick with our guide, Holy Mother Church and her teachings led by the Holy Spirit Himself, our Holy Fathers and their encyclicals and guidance as Vicar of Christ Himself, saints and doctors of the Church. It is difficult to not follow the changing trends of the world, but it is our duty as Christians to do so because they will only lead you further and further away from God.

A quick search shows catholicmodesty.com to have some good info.

I thought Dressing with Dignity by Colleen Hammond was a good read, although there was mention of the details of a particular study that were a bit graphic.

God bless, and please look to Our Lady as your model for purity and chastity. Not sure how to interpret Her? Earnestly pray and ask Her and She will guide you. Also look to the guardian of Her purity, the symbolic guardian of the new paradise, St. Joseph. Reading the lives of the saints is invaluable in enlightening and inspiring one to heroically fight the good fight, especially on the topic of modesty which is so critical today.

Mary, purest model of modesty, pray for us!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Friar John Paul

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

If I Google search 'Cardinal Vicar of Pius XII', I don't even get the man's name. All I get is a quotation on modesty, enthusiastically copied and re-copied by groups with names such as 'The League for Modesty in Dress'. No source is ever given. Googling that search term doesn't produce anything else he said or wrote. From this I can conclude one of two things:

1.) The quotation has been misattributed (at best) or fabricated (at worst).

2.) The Cardinal Vicar of Pius XII did nothing else whatsoever in his whole life except speak and write about female modesty - in which I case I don't think he is well-balanced enough as a Catholic to be taken seriously.

I think it's more likely to be the first one.

Google Vatican official. Than type what your searching for in the Vatican search engine.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

"Don't take responsibility for guys looking"

"he needs to man up and take control of avoiding the near occasion of sin."

People really say that, and some women and young women here i have seen lean towards this thinking. Oh also some men and/or young men here to think like this, unsure why, possibly to get some mommy points.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye