An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church/saint Teaching And Modesty

MarysLittleFlower

That's not part of any reliable historical account of St. Perpet

Yes, cause Pius XII just made stuff up, to make his teachings look good.

Yes, cause Pius XII just made stuff up, to make his teachings look good.

Trads accuse Blessed JPII and Benedixt XVI and Pope Fancis of making stuff up. Your point?

Pious legends are a thing, you know. And priests, bishops, and yes, even popes, have been known to use them for the sake of allegory. In other words, to make their preaching sound good.

Trads accuse Blessed JPII and Benedixt XVI and Pope Fancis of making stuff up. Your point?

So a few people do somthing wrong and everyone is to blame. I have never accused them of making of lying to us. I find it insulting that yo would accume Pius XII jsut maed this up. Are you Catholic, if you are, you might want to consider heading over to confession.

Edited by jim111

ToJesusMyHeart

Jim, that's not something you say to people. 

Arfink can decide for himself when he needs Confession.

Jim, that's not something you say to people. 

Arfink can decide for himself when he needs Confession.

I understand, I was merely making a suggestion.

Yeah, well that suggestion is also called a "personal attack."

If you don't want to get personally attacked, then do not call yourself Catholic and blindly attack the pope.

ToJesusMyHeart

Here at phatmass, we try to express our disagreements with charity.

Very often, we fail, but we need to try. What you said to arfink was not charitable. 

So let me see. I point out that a) some trads accuse our 3 most recent popes of "making stuff up," but mention nothing about you personally or any specific person. b) I don't say anything attacking Pious XII, but merely remark that his retelling of the story of Perpetua's modesty is a pious legend. c) I am not even attacking the validity of using pious legend as allegory in preaching and other pastoral work. Perhaps I have not been clear enough then.

Pious legends are nice. It is OK to use them in preaching. It is even in many cases praiseworthy. But they are not to be taken literally.

Edited by arfink

So let me see. I point out that a) some trads accuse our 3 most recent popes of "making stuff up," but mention nothing about you personally or any specific person. b) I don't say anything attacking Pious XII, but merely remark that his retelling of the story of Perpetua's modesty is a pious legend. c) I am not even attacking the validity of using pious legend as allegory in preaching and other pastoral work. Perhaps I have not been clear enough then.

Pious legends are nice. It is OK to use them in preaching. It is even in many cases praiseworthy. But they are not to be taken literally.

And how do you know what is to be taken literally.

We have this thing called a Magisterium... :P

Show me where the Magisterium says that the story of St. Perpetua is an alagory.

Show me where the Magisterium says that the story of St. Perpetua is an alagory.

First, the original accounts we have of St. Perpetua's martyrdom are not considered to be divinely inspired.

Second, it is common for early martyrs to have had the accounts of their deaths exaggerated or modified simply as a result of pious sentiment.