An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church/saint Teaching And Modesty

MarysLittleFlower

First, the original accounts we have of St. Perpetua's martyrdom are not considered to be divinely inspired.

Second, it is common for early martyrs to have had the accounts of their deaths exaggerated or modified simply as a result of pious sentiment.

If they dont have there accounts, then how could tehy know they were exagurated?

Perhaps your right, but would you agree its only prudent to assume the pope is taching the truth unless we have good reason to doubt otherwise?

Even if the story is false, the teaching has an obvious message. HIs teachings on modesty, are consistent with Catholic Tradtioion, what authority do you have to reject his regualtions on modesty.

Edited by jim111

dominicansoul

Transmundane Lane

NO DEBATING. Serious theological and spiritual discussion.

why is this thread in Transmundane Lane?  sounds more like Debate Table material to me....

Transmundane Lane

NO DEBATING. Serious theological and spiritual discussion.

why is this thread in Transmundane Lane?  sounds more like Debate Table material to me....

Agreed! Lets get the mods in here...

Blah, blah, blah. So much bickering. Why can't I just wear clothes and be fabulous?

Because wearing clothes and being fabulous would make you into a brazen hussy and would spell the death knell to any purity you have (which probably isn't much). As we have established, the only acceptable attire is a pinafore/jumper dress made out of a pair of old curtains for maximum coverage.

I can't believe this conversation has been revived when I have just spent the evening debating with some unknown guy on a friend's Facebook wall (bad move) about an upcoming fashion week, in which there will be models wearing - gasp - clothes that aren't floor-length and made of old curtains. He earnestly assured me that the next thing we know, the young women who have applied to model for the show will be out prostituting themselves in the street. And I am not exaggerating. I wish I were.

It's enough to make me want to wear the super-modest cardboard box with cut-outs for my eyes that I mentioned earlier in the thread. At least that way I might get a little peace. None of these people would come blundering into my box to disturb me.

I don’t teachings that make women feel like their bodies are stumbling blocks for men, that they must “save” men from lust by covering up. It’s not healthy for them and it’s not healthy for men, instead of being taught to take responsibility for their thoughts and actions men can just blame women for not being modest. Besides modesty is about much more than how much clothes women wear.  You could be covered up from head to toe and still not be a modest person if all you think about is how virtuous and modest you are. Women shouldn’t be ashamed to wear attractive clothing that makes them feel beautiful.

Thought processes like those that ploomf described are what fuel the rape culture.

We go from "well, she was dressed inappropriately so it's not like I couldn't lust" (double negative, i know) to "Well she was dressed inappropriately, so the rape was justified."

Yes. Women shouldn't dress inappropriately, but a lot men don't care what women are wearing. They'll lust after them no matter what. I once saw someone catcall a woman wearing a hijab.

I grew up in the Middle East. I can tell you absolutely that getting women to cover up does very little to stop men from lusting. The problem is the attitude of men towards women. Teach a man to respect women and that's what will help him the most. 

There are some people who do care to dress in a manner that could lesson impure thoughts, I don't see a fault in that. I believe someone should be able to live out their modesty in such a manner without being mocked and told he/she is wrong.  I don't think anyone is saying that the more you cover, the more modest you are, the more impure thoughts you will prevent. There is no for sure way to prevent one's thoughts.  However, I believe I am my brother's keeper, insomuch that if there is something I can do or not do to aid him, I will. If I believe that by dressing in a certain manner would lessen a woman's impure thoughts towards me, then I will do my best to dress in that manner.

Me believing this way is not an indictment on you if you do not .

dominicansoul

Amen.  The mocking is utterly ridiculous, and it prevents any mature discussion on the Church's guidance.  The church does not say, "modesty is relative and do whatever you feel is right for you..."  She also doesn't teach us to be ridiculously scrupulous about it either.  There's a beautiful and holy balance that we all need to practice.