An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church/saint Teaching And Modesty

MarysLittleFlower

You know how hard it is to follow those gosh darn "standards" in the gosh darn south of Louisiana? No. It's not hard. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. I run. I work out. I work. I am today's woman and I can't do everything in a skirt and mid-length sleeved shirts that reach up however high they say I must. We have already gone over this: the sources are questionable, priests are sometimes wrong, and modesty is more than a set of standards.

/endrant Edited by the171

I like the standards, Jim. Let's be friends.

I don't think people are objecting to anyone liking them (if you wanna dress to those standards, go for it) but to the suggestion that the Church has mandated that all women adhere to them, which is blatantly false. 

Jim, I feel like I've seen you on Fish Eaters. Were you the one who started that crapstorm about whether or not women can be theologians? Your avatar and "about me" makes me think that's you.

ToJesusMyHeart

Isn't Israel/where JMJ lived hotter than Texas/the south? 

Anyway, I love you always 171.

Actually, no. It is also humid down here. Imagine heat sticking to you and your sweat only makes it worse. Welcome to the Bayou!

Yup. It is you! Well, welcome to Phatmass. If you have come here to convert the "liberals" be prepared. We have many female theologians here.

ToJesusMyHeart

Actually, no. It is also humid down here. Imagine heat sticking to you and your sweat only makes it worse. Welcome to the Bayou!

My roommate and I made a list once about 10 things we'd rid the world of, and sweating/over-heating was on the list. It's a major pain. I go through a deoderant in like a month.

My roommate and I made a list once about 10 things we'd rid the world of, and sweating/over-heating was on the list. It's a major pain. I go through a deoderant in like a month.

I go through it in like a week. Hint: reapply.

I go through it in like a week. Hint: reapply.

^^ This. Also, get the gel stuff that has the super high concentration of whatever it is in deodorant that makes it work, it helps too.

^^ This. Also, get the gel stuff that has the super high concentration of whatever it is in deodorant that makes it work, it helps too.

That's what I use. Secret Gel Lavendar. Smells divine!

But the gel is so....wet...how do you not get it all over your clothes? 

It evaporates pretty quickly, leaving the active ingredient behind. I don't mind having a wee bit on my shirts because I am a slob and don't care, but when it's a fancy shirt I just let 'em dry a little bit before putting said shirt on.

You know how hard it is to follow those gosh darn "standards" in the gosh darn south of Louisiana? No. It's not hard. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. I run. I work out. I work. I am today's woman and I can't do everything in a skirt and mid-length sleeved shirts that reach up however high they say I must. We have already gone over this: the sources are questionable, priests are sometimes wrong, and modesty is more than a set of standards.

/endrant

St. Perpetua is not impressed.

“When she was thrown into the air by a savage bull in the amphitheatre at Carthage, her first thought and action when she fell to the ground was to rearrange her dress to cover her thigh, because she was more concerned for modesty than pain” (Allocution to the Girls of Catholic Action, October 6, 1940).

Many women have forgotten Christian modesty because of vanity and ambition: they rush wretchedly into dangers that can spell death to their purity. They give in to the tyranny of fashion, be it even immodest, in such a way as to appear not even to suspect that it is unbecoming. They have lost the very concept of danger; they have lost the instinct of modesty” (Allocution to the Girls of Catholic Action, October 6, 1940).

Edited by jim111

St. Perpetua is not impressed.

“When she was thrown into the air by a savage bull in the amphitheatre at Carthage, her first thought and action when she fell to the ground was to rearrange her dress to cover her thigh, because she was more concerned for modesty than pain” (Allocution to the Girls of Catholic Action, October 6, 1940).

Many women have forgotten Christian modesty because of vanity and ambition: they rush wretchedly into dangers that can spell death to their purity. They give in to the tyranny of fashion, be it even immodest, in such a way as to appear not even to suspect that it is unbecoming. They have lost the very concept of danger; they have lost the instinct of modesty” (Allocution to the Girls of Catholic Action, October 6, 1940).

That's not part of any reliable historical account of St. Perpetua.