An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink: Thread Of Randomness (mk.iii)

arfink

Doing a new Windows install and config takes so much time. I've been at this for hours. :P

First the install, then the 3 or 4 reboots as it gets itself settled. Then activation. Then drivers. More rebooting. Gotta clean up the default settings on IE because it's so very very insecure by default. It's like a giant neon sign proclaiming to every web server "HEY, I HAVEN'T BEEN PATCHED OR HAD ANY DEFAULTS CHANGED, PLEASE ATTACK ME!" It didn't come with anything useful by default, no office applications, no productivity-anything, no common utilities for audio or video. I put on my standard package of Libre Office suite for productivity and VLC for media. Avast for anti-virus. Chrome and Firefox both installed too. Then I had to install the various proprietary codecs, and Adobe Flash. Next I should probably install Adobe Reader, since Microsoft Windows still doesn't read industry standard file formats. GRRRRR. I had to put on java and javascript attack protection and adblockers since it seems advertising is also a huge security problem these days.

Come to think of it, I bet it doesn't even have CD/DVD ripping or burning capabilities built in either, and probably a hundred other things that really have been included standard in Apple and Linux OSes for better than a decade now. :bashes head against wall:

Edited by arfink

Feeling lonely today, and a bit burned out. I know in my head that I'm still doing OK, and no ground has been lost yet, but I still just want to hibernate for a while.

ChristinaTherese

Awww. Vicodin is the worst, isn't it? It cuts things down, but that includes your ability to function like a normal human being.... Prayers!

ChristinaTherese

I know the feeling. (I was there for migraines back in high school... but at least my pain was basically nuked by the Vicodin.)

Much pain. Very ow. Please pray.

Even with the vicodin, it still hurts a ton.

I hope you feel better soon love. I'm praying for you. :console: