An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Think This Is The Beginning Of A Beautiful Phriendship...

Ancilla Domini

Ancilla Domini

Philosophy teacher: Hume claims that we cannot know the true shape of the table, because if we look at it from this angle, it's a rectangle, from another angle, it looks like a square, from another, it looks like trapezoid, and so on. Then a smart guy comes along...

Me: ...with a tape-measure

Yeah, I'm brilliant. I can disprove Hume's philosophy with a tape measure. :P hehe

maximillion

But the tape measure only identifies (possibly) dimension, it does not define shape....... :unsure:

Ancilla Domini

But the tape measure only identifies (possibly) dimension, it does not define shape....... :unsure:

That's true. But the tape-measure was as far as I could get without doing any thinking. :P

Hume, the shape of the table, and the tape measure are all irrelevant philosophical constructs.

Wha matters is that the table holds my sammiches!

(Cilla, you may have to use your glasses to read this part.)

Some people - especially philosophers - have too much time on their hands, and no practicality!

Edited by Luigi

Ancilla Domini

Hume, the shape of the table, and the tape measure are all irrelevant philosophical constructs.

Wha matters is that the table holds my sammiches!

(Cilla, you may have to use your glasses to read this part.)

Some people - especially philosophers - have too much time on their hands, and no practicality!

I personally couldn't care less whether the table that holds my sammiches is round, or square, or the shape of a grand-piano. What matters is whether the sammiches are tasty. :P

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Ancilla Domini

Size and shape are entirely relative to tastiness.

I disagree. No matter how tasty a ham sandwich is, if it is cut diagonally, it will ruin anyone's appetite. :P

I disagree. No matter how tasty a ham sandwich is, if it is cut diagonally, it will ruin anyone's appetite. :P

Now I know how to get your sammich without actually stealing it...

Ancilla Domini

Now I know how to get your sammich without actually stealing it...

Now I know never to let you within arm's distance of my sammich...

"I begin to see an object when I cease to understand it."

Thoreau

Bottom line:  Viewed in certain ways, the whole world is a sammich! :rolleyes:

Ancilla Domini

"I begin to see an object when I cease to understand it."

Thoreau

Bottom line:  Viewed in certain ways, the whole world is a sammich! :rolleyes:

According to Parmenides, (a pre-socratic philosopher) there is no change, which results in there being only one thing in the world, of which we are all basically just bits. According to this philosophy, maybe we're all bits of sammich! :P

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Marvelous insights!  A phenomenologist would seek to find the essence of a sammich--by removing such variables as pickles,

lettuce, etc.  Yet a poet might use the attributes of a pickle (sweet, sour, pickled), for example, as an extended metaphor for the

human condition!  With lettuce being either wilted or fresh...it could well represent...? 

Methinks I'm overthinking this...and please don't start a new thread titled "Life is a Taco"! :paco2:

Ancilla Domini

Methinks I'm overthinking this...and please don't start a new thread titled "Life is a Taco"! :paco2:

One can never overthink sammiches!
Hmmm...."Life is a Taco"...I will have to consider this one. :P