An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Think This Is The Beginning Of A Beautiful Phriendship...

Ancilla Domini

maximillion

This is not the best recording of her but I think she sings it best.

I love this and I love the film DIVA that it came from.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hsmoo97CVA&list=PLVRFSpH0ErmXgFwDZl-ohnn5uv1YswyhZ

PhuturePriest

It's better than my measly 520. :D

Yours and his props combined are a fraction of the amount I have.

Ancilla Domini

Yours and his props combined are a fraction of the amount I have.

However my number of props are 47% of the number of my posts, and your props are only 37% of the number of your posts. You may have quantity, but I have quality. :)

PhuturePriest

However my number of props are 47% of the number of my posts, and your props are only 37% of the number of your posts. You may have quantity, but I have quality. :)

Mine were about that when I had your amount of posts. Keep in mind Phatmass has gone through many periods where props were switched on and off as well, so posts of mine that would have been propped were not. ;)

Chrysophylax

This seems to be the place for poetry, so have another!  Or two...

Nothing Gold Can Stay

by Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold, 
Her hardest hue to hold. 
Her early leaf's a flower; 
But only so an hour. 
Then leaf subsides to leaf. 
So Eden sank to grief, 
So dawn goes down to day. 
Nothing gold can stay.

And the reason I put that one here is because I love this response to it:

Only To Rise

by Nathan Schmiedicke

The first tree-flowers float

wisp on water, though it's air.

Each prism parallel,

suspended there.

Suspended there as sap is rising,

growing as it stays,

Bending under sap's height,

Giving praise.

Giving praise, but oh, they have been bent

growing green for which they fade.

Singing only to be silent.

To rest laid.

To rest, laid low in earth's brown dust,

the Autumn grey dust they had been,

Again themselves to dust, but born

Again to all things then.

Again to all things then they're flying

tallest mountains, highest skies,

All things green and good are falling,

Only to rise.

Ancilla Domini

We talked about Benedict's rule and Benedictines in Literature, today. :)

I could have danced all night! I could have danced all night!

maximillion

When I visited the Bennies for a week and was discerning, the NM gave me a copy of his Rule to read, asking a few days later what I thought of it.

Me: "It's short."

ChristinaTherese

Nice. I wonder how much effort it took to make that cave.... I mean, it's got to be a man-made fake ice cave because a) you don't take instruments you care about into cold places and play them (especially not woodwinds, the heat inside and cold outside can crack the wood very fast), b) cold fingers aren't exactly nimble anyway, c) Where would you even find a real one? Wouldn't it be expensive to travel to it?, and d) the view from the top they showed at the end doesn't look like anything you could find in nature. So, how much effort/time/money does it cost to make a cave like that?

Nice. I wonder how much effort it took to make that cave.... I mean, it's got to be a man-made fake ice cave because a) you don't take instruments you care about into cold places and play them (especially not woodwinds, the heat inside and cold outside can crack the wood very fast), b) cold fingers aren't exactly nimble anyway, c) Where would you even find a real one? Wouldn't it be expensive to travel to it?, and d) the view from the top they showed at the end doesn't look like anything you could find in nature. So, how much effort/time/money does it cost to make a cave like that?

Towards the end I think there's a link to watch how it was all done. Its pretty cool!

ChristinaTherese

What I found out that it is a real ice castle. I'll respond to my objections in order:

a) It's not like that's his good cello. I mean, good celli look like wood, not like they have a coat of paint. (Okay, this might have a bit to do with the fact that it's really hard to take a non-wood looking cello seriously, even if it sounds great. Like a plastic clarinet. Carbon fiber bows are getting pretty decent at least, but it takes time for snobbery among musicians against carbon fiber bows to die down. They used to be awful, so they must be awful.) But that probably isn't his best cello. (Note: I was right, he said it was a stunt cello.)

b) Well, the cellist has partial finger gloves on. And they can always do the shoot and use sound they recorded in the studio. It's done all the time, I think, although I don't really know. (I mean, the tuning alone would have serious issues. The pianist said that the piano was losing its ability to play. And if they were talking behind the camera, they're not going to leave that background noise in.)

c) It's in Norway. I have no idea about costs, but they did it.

d) It's an ice castle. Are they natural? (maybe, maybe not) Do they have to be natural? (I don't think so)

Anyway, cool explanation video. And I was wrong.