An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass Walks Across America Thread - California To Maine!

AnneLine

Anybody else?   (Bribery aka more mileage may get you somewhere... hehehehe)  

I'll try to get the updated mileage count done later tonight....

Soooooo put in any mileage you want counted in this week during the next say.... 3 hours????

After that.... we figure out where we get to next.....    

Flight.gif

Hello, Everyone!   We have the Stats for our Travelers this week.

Mileage posted between 7/13/2014  and 7/28/2014:   

AnneLine ........................ 10.86 (pedometer) - but it can't be counting right!!!

BrandelynMarie .............. 27.00 (pedometer)

CarterMia .......................  27.00 (17 mile + 10 baseline)

CrossCut ........................     .00 (no mileage posted)

Maximillion ...................... 22.00 (12 miles + 10 baseline)

SpemInAlium ..................  24.00 (14 miles + 10 baseline)

TheresaThoma ...............     .00 (will post later in week)

Tigger60 .........................  15.07 (pedometer)

xTriciaxLynnx ................... 22.00 (12 mils + 10 baseline)

TOTAL TRAVELERS:   9

TOTAL MILES:   147.93

Almost everyone's numbers are up from last week... Excellent!!!

tumblr_lt2o4ct9hK1r2dpibo1_400.gif

I've given all who haven't said they are using pedometers an extra 10 miles... because that makes your numbers get in the same ballpark with the rest of us.   That is the equivalent of 'just breathing' that I've discovered shows up on my pedometer when I am sick.  who would have figured????

If you ARE using a pedometer, please let us know so we will not give you that extra credit.  Generally if you give me numbers that aren't round numbers, i'ts a pretty clear sign you are using a pedometer!     :)

Hope to see you posting again soon, Crosscut!

TheresaThoma has said she will be posting on Wednesdays, so next week she will give us a BIG boost!)

I am going to have to get a new pedometer....or start adding finger mileage for posting the journal!!!

Watch for the next installment of where we are traveling in a day or two -- have something in the real world that has to get done before I can prep the update....

4 more miles for me! Once I get a pedometer I can tell you how much walking I do everyday.....Im not sure if I want to know...

Hi all just wanted to put in my mileage for last week.  It is 15.88 miles.  I hope that others will continue to post their mileage because I do not want to stay in the dessert.

Edited by tigger60

TheresaThoma

Well I have been doing a good bit of walking this week so hopefully that will get us out of the desert soon!

Hi everyone,

I know I have been awol for a few days.... sorry, 'twas unexpected!  I is back now.... for another week or so... then I go on a vacation without internet access.... heading across country to a wedding!

Here's my totals for last week:  13.62.   I gotta get a new pedometer and/or start moving more!  

BTW... I know the pedometer is misbehaving... it clocked me at less than 5 miles... and no aerobic miles at all!!!!!

So yes, it is a guesstimate based on past history and likely movement.....

And I do have some partly-done next stops ready to go... so watch for some updates probably later today... and once everyone has checked in, our updated mileage!!!!!!

graphics-walking-545712.gifgraphics-walking-545712.gifgraphics-walking-545712.gifgraphics-walking-191529.gifgraphics-walking-545712.gif

Edited by AnneLine

4 more miles for me!

I NEED TO GET A PEDOMETER! (Ill be saying that every time i post until I actually get one haha!)

Arent you suppose to get like 10,000 steps a day?

That's what they recommend... and it is roughly about 3 miles per day if you get those in.

What has usually worked the VERY best for me is either doing a 1/2 hour walk on top of regular mileage of just movig around during the day and/or doing the same while walking in front of a TV or YouTube video or while talking with a friend on the phone.  

I has just been being lazy... :paperbag:

you all are pushing me, which is GREAT!!!!!     :flex:  :cupid:

I want to count all my walking miles too! I walk a lot at my job on certain occasions so id be curious to see how many miles I cover apart from my runs in the evening. 

ATTENTION!   We are still missing mileage this week from CarterMia, Maximillion, Spem in Alium and xTriciaxLynnx

This is NOT good!!!!!    Walkers in lonely stretches of the California and Arizona desert have been known to be abducted by aliens!!!!!

Please post your mileage before 12 noon pacific time... or you never know what might happen!!!!!!

200.gif

We don't have a lot of mileage to play with this week, so while we wait for the others to catch up, we'll travel along the route from Twentynine Palms to the Bill Williams River National Wildlife Refuge.

Here's a map:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Twentynine+Palms,+CA/Wonder+Valley,+CA/Parker,+AZ/Bill+Williams+River+National+Wildlife+Refuge,+Lake+Havasu+City,+AZ+86406/@34.1512607,-117.2496198,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x80dac726c25e7ecf:0xec37eb42c963a3fc!2m2!1d-116.0541689!2d34.1355582!1m5!1m1!1s0x80dabc7ba97ec3f1:0x79ff174de8339abf!2m2!1d-115.8758354!2d34.155373!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d1830127f1e51d:0xf8e550e83a59eddc!2m2!1d-114.2891177!2d34.1500162!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d22f27f1ed66e3:0x25f16b3f0ecc4aa2!2m2!1d-114.045828!2d34.272715!3e2

As with all these maps, be sure to select the little walking man.  You may want to switch between looking at the 'terrain' and the 'google earth' option to get the best view of this part of the journey.

Weather:  

Twentynine Palms, CA

96/69 F.   SUNNY

Wonder Valley, CA

95/68 F.   SUNNY

Parker, AZ

100/81 F.   SUNNY

Bill Williams River National Wildlife Refuge

100/81 F,   SUNNY

The weather should be VERY WARM so be sure to bring lots of water, sunscreen, and wear appropriate clothing.  

We MAY get a chance to swim at the end of the journey, so bring a swimsuit!

Take frequent breaks.

Found a timelapse video of our walk this week.... unless the others check in with us, we are gonna get stuck somewhere on this road.... yikes!

Now I wouldn't watch the whole thing... but maybe sample it every 8 minutes... it will give you a feel for the country!

Drivelapse Twentynine Palms-Kingman

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvA-1xPFBEs[/media]

Oh, you want to slow down a bit?  sure!

Here's our first stop - Wonder Valley, California

wondervalley.jpg

http://www.wondervalley92277.com/index2.html

"Wonder Valley is a unique place in this overcrowded world. It's a beautiful valley in an  unincorporated rural desert area just east of Twentynine Palms where you will find shopping, a library, post office, restaurants etc. About 30 minutes away is Yucca Valley, with a lot more stores and restaurants. The city of Palm Springs is only an hour away."

Right.

http://www.wondervalley92277.com/index2.html

Parker, AZ   This is the town that marks the dividing line between Calfiornia and Arizona along he Colorado River.  Lake Havasu is the water that is diverted from the Colorado River.  Water makes the difference between a desert and a lush landscape....

vfiles34861.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv34861.php

AZ_11265.gif

http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=11265

We just missed this event on June 7th!!!!

TheParkerAreaD04aR05aP01ZL-Jefferson5a-2

There really isn't much more to Parker, so I think we had best keep moving on down the Colorado River!

Here's where we are going to stay... at the Bill Williams River National Wildlife Refuge

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbUepnoxH9E[/media]

I sure hope the others show up with more mileage soon... or we might have to hitchhike.  

No telling where we might end up....

Edited by AnneLine