An Old School Catholic Message Board

MEN!

WCC_Catholic

KizlarAgha

[quote name='CatholicAndFanatical' date='May 18 2005, 10:49 AM']
What part? I have two kids ages 5 and 7. Was with their mom for 8 or so years. I've only been a Catholic for 5 years as of this past Easter and was baptised and confirmed. No I wasnt married, wish I would of been but such is life. We are best friends though and seem to get along better apart than together. hmm..not sure what else to say.

As for the Catholic Dating sites. I've had a few messages saying they would like to talk but feel that I have two kids and they are not ready to be a step mom..or some carp like that hehe.

Shallow people amuse me. I wasnt looking for a mom for the kids, they have a great one. If I date someone it would be a long time before they even get to meet the kids, no less be a step mom, or any type of mom to em. [/quote]
Was WITH their mom. I read this as "was their mom" and got really confused. :unsure:

franciscanheart

[quote name='WCC_Catholic' date='May 18 2005, 12:57 AM'] i think he is suppose to find us :D [/quote]
well if thats the case heck lets go grab some dinner, have a margarita, and then go get our nails done!! :D

Norseman82

[quote name='CatholicAndFanatical' date='May 18 2005, 10:49 AM'] As for the Catholic Dating sites. I've had a few messages saying they would like to talk but feel that I have two kids and they are not ready to be a step mom..or some carp like that hehe.

Shallow people amuse me. I wasnt looking for a mom for the kids, they have a great one. If I date someone it would be a long time before they even get to meet the kids, no less be a step mom, or any type of mom to em. [/quote]
Why does it make one shallow or less of a Catholic if they are uncomfortable with being an automatic stepparent? Even though you are not looking for a mom for your kids, any person you marry would end up being a stepmom to them automatically. That can entail a lot of stress. Again, how does this make them shallow or less Catholic?

The other thing is that they may feel that someone who has no kids and is a virgin deserves a first chance. After all, there is an old buffet line courtesy that it is impolite to go back for seconds when others haven't had their first helping yet.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Norseman82' date='May 18 2005, 11:01 AM'] The other thing is that they may feel that someone who has no kids and is a virgin deserves a first chance. After all, there is an old buffet line courtesy that it is impolite to go back for seconds when others haven't had their first helping yet. [/quote]
Well I dunno about the other girls, but that just killed the notion of romance for me.

Norseman82

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='May 18 2005, 11:03 AM'] Well I dunno about the other girls, but that just killed the notion of romance for me. [/quote]
Romance must take a back seat to right and wrong and fair treatment and justice.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Norseman82' date='May 18 2005, 11:07 AM'] Romance must take a back seat to right and wrong and fair treatment and justice. [/quote]
I know...but...A BUFFET LINE?! :P

[quote name='Raphael' date='May 18 2005, 10:23 AM'] Trust me, if God wants them to be married, they'll leave priestly formation.

I know first hand. ;) [/quote]
is it not a sin to leave the priestly formation??

Norseman82

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='May 18 2005, 11:09 AM'] I know...but...A BUFFET LINE?! :P [/quote]
I'm trying to give an example to prove a principle of fairness that can be extrapolated to other areas of life. My apologies, I didn't know of any other example.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Norseman82' date='May 18 2005, 11:13 AM'] I'm trying to give an example to prove a principle of fairness that can be extrapolated to other areas of life. My apologies, I didn't know of any other example. [/quote]
Aww...I'm just teasing. Don't get upset. :(

Norseman82

[quote name='ReinnieR' date='May 18 2005, 11:09 AM'] is it not a sin to leave the priestly formation?? [/quote]
If they haven't taken any vows or solemn promises, no. Part of the discernment process may lead to the realization that the priesthood isn't for someone (or at least not at the present time).

WCC_Catholic

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='May 18 2005, 10:59 AM'] well if thats the case heck lets go grab some dinner, have a margarita, and then go get our nails done!! :D [/quote]
sounds like a plan to me. where we goin for the margaritas? i know a great place to get nails done

Norseman82

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='May 18 2005, 11:14 AM'] Aww...I'm just teasing.  Don't get upset.  :( [/quote]
I have a weird sense of humor and sometimes incorporate that and/or extreme/provacative examples to make people sit up and take notice.

So I wasn't upset, I just wanted to clarify in case anyone else didn't take it as good-naturedly as you. We're cool.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='ReinnieR' date='May 18 2005, 12:09 PM'] is it not a sin to leave the priestly formation?? [/quote]
Priestly formation is discernment about a possible vocation...that is, it's the part that takes place in seminary, before ordinations. For me, it was LONG before ordinations. I left after a year, feeling called to marriage.

[quote name='Raphael' date='May 18 2005, 11:26 AM'] Priestly formation is discernment about a possible vocation...that is, it's the part that takes place in seminary, before ordinations. For me, it was LONG before ordinations. I left after a year, feeling called to marriage. [/quote]
oh ok. a friend of mine is dating a priest. i don't know if they're gonna get married or not.

CatholicAndFanatical

[quote]
Why does it make one shallow or less of a Catholic if they are uncomfortable with being an automatic stepparent? Even though you are not looking for a mom for your kids, any person you marry would end up being a stepmom to them automatically. That can entail a lot of stress. Again, how does this make them shallow or less Catholic?

The other thing is that they may feel that someone who has no kids and is a virgin deserves a first chance. After all, there is an old buffet line courtesy that it is impolite to go back for seconds when others haven't had their first helping yet.
[/quote]

You are assuming that the first person I date im going to marry..hogwash. what if I date the person and feel that we dont match or our personalities are different, or that they are not really a Catholic in a true Catholic sense?

When you are dating someone, its a step to a relationship that should last a while before marriage even gets brought into it. While dating, they shouldnt even be thinking of being a step mom to my kids. Why would I want my kids exposed to someone im dating? What if they like the person and I dont? What if we break up and the kids miss her then I date someone else? See the confusion, so they are not even exposed to anything of the sort. Not from my side nor the mothers side.

Its funny how a woman can say how shallow men are for running away when a woman say's she has kids or a kid, and thats fine, but when a man says it its crazy talk.

If you found a woman that you really liked, but you found out she has kids, would you still date her? Or would you consider her to have 'baggage'?