An Old School Catholic Message Board

15 Year Old Killed Because Of Homosexuality

doe-jo

catholicinsd

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1489624' date='Mar 31 2008, 02:39 PM']How interesting that, in that article, are quotes from two democratic presidential candidates. This is interesting because, many here are allegedly using this boy's death as an occasion for 'homosexual bashing', yet it would appear that these two candidates are exploiting it to gain support from a certain demographic. I quote Mr. Obama:

Hmm...how intriguing that nothing has been said about this disaster as a platform for making Democratic campaign advances...[/quote]

At least the they care about the actually care about child. And they do bring up valid points about hate crime laws.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1489626' date='Mar 31 2008, 01:47 PM']At least the they care about the actually care about child.[/quote]
You know this...how?
[quote]And they do bring up valid points about hate crime laws.[/quote]
How do you think the laws should be changed, and for what reason?

catholicinsd

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1489632' date='Mar 31 2008, 02:56 PM']You know this...how?[/quote]

Well, they're using a death to bash homosexuals.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1489634' date='Mar 31 2008, 02:00 PM']Well, they're using a death to bash homosexuals.[/quote]
I think I've figured out why everyone else has quit arguing...

I don't see how changing any law could have prevented this. I mean, obviously the murderer wasn't stopped because of the law against killing.

catholicinsd

[quote name='prose' post='1489666' date='Mar 31 2008, 03:58 PM']I don't see how changing any law could have prevented this. I mean, obviously the murderer wasn't stopped because of the law against killing.[/quote]

A federal crime is much serious than a crime at the level.

when i first heard of this i could help thinking about how much the shooter did not think this through. (i hope this wasnt heavily meditated on his part or he is an idiot)
the impression i got, was this 15 year old victim asked out another boy in school, and that boy, either out of deep seated hate for homosexuals, or in a way to prove to his friends who witnessed that he is totally straight, he then found a gun (where? did he just go home and say "dad? some fag at school asked me out can i borrow the gun and kill him?) then in front of classmates murdered the other boy.
you can say what you like about this not being related to the boy being gay, but i am having a hard time believing the shooter did all this because the other took his lunch money.

anyways what i couldnt help thinking of, is this boy commits murder likely to prove how straight he is to his buddies with 20 witnesses around. his chances of going to federal prison for a long time is pretty high, and without getting to graphic prisons arent known for being kind or sexual assault free.
i hope this kid doesnt have as hard a life as i think he might.

and on another note, disregarding that the victim was gay, and however you all may think of that, what would it be like if you went up to a girl or guy, asked them out and they gave you the gun the next day? that is messed up no matter what.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1489672' date='Mar 31 2008, 03:03 PM']A federal crime is much serious than a crime at the level.[/quote]

A federal crime is more serious than murder?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='prose' post='1489666' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:58 PM']I don't see how changing any law could have prevented this. I mean, obviously the murderer wasn't stopped because of the law against killing.[/quote]
I tend to agree.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1489674' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:06 PM']anyways what i couldnt help thinking of, is this boy commits murder likely to prove how straight he is to his buddies with 20 witnesses around. his chances of going to federal prison for a long time is pretty high, and without getting to graphic prisons arent known for being kind or sexual assault free.
i hope this kid doesnt have as hard a life as i think he might.

and on another note, disregarding that the victim was gay, and however you all may think of that, what would it be like if you went up to a girl or guy, asked them out and they gave you the gun the next day? that is messed up no matter what.[/quote]
Good points. And why we should remember to pray for him as well as the victim & their families.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1489493' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:52 PM']I think your both trying to justify the hate crime.[/quote]

In all due respect, catholicinsd, could you post direct quotes from this thread showing that anyone said it's [b]ever[/b] okay to murder someone in cold blood? If you can't, then I don't think it's nice to accuse people of justifying a terrible crime like this. The impression I get is that everyone here thinks this poor kid's death was tragic, heartbreaking, and unnecessary, but again, if you believe that people here approve of this murder, I would expect you to post quotes and your interpretations of those quotes to back it up.

[quote]You're using the death of a child to again spew anti-homosexual sentiments.[/quote]

Again, what do you mean by "anti-homosexual sentiments"? Could you please put these statements in direct quotes?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1489504' date='Mar 31 2008, 01:12 PM']No it not. Nothing will be obvious until a motive is established. Jumping to conclusions just because of the porported sexuality issues of the victim doesn't make a case.[/quote]

You do make a good point. Nothing has been established yet, but I do think it's very possible that this boy was killed because of his homosexuality.

Autumn Dusk

This is more than just a hate crime, and teens don't typically just go for it and ask each other out. They brood, they flirt, they tell their friends and continue to approach the relationship in many ways before they ask someone out. This could cause someone, especially a teenager, great emotional pain.

This was not a random target against homosexuals.

I'm not saying that this is o.k. but we see the affect of being bullied causes. And sexual bullying is even worse.

Lets say it was a girl who shot a guy who was asking her out and she clearly didn't want his advances. We'd call it horrible but it probably would fall under woman's rights and wouldn't gain national attention.

Still, no one should be shot becuase they are bullying, hitting on, or doing anything anyone.

There needs to be more education on place on how to deal with social problems. My friends work in education and the degree of torture some students do to eachother is often no less than sadistic. Without parents to teach them properly (and this is apparent in this case with the kid being a foster kid) teachers become educatiors, parents and social workers to teens and with 9 class periods in a day and 30 kids in each class equals 270 students. Teachers cannot do all this.

While a 14 year old is responsible for their actions, schools really need to be held accountable.

catholicinsd

[quote name='BeenaBobba' post='1489737' date='Mar 31 2008, 05:23 PM']Again, what do you mean by "anti-homosexual sentiments"? Could you please put these statements in direct quotes?[/quote]

Totus said:[quote]the consoling part is that some boys are not being passive about this offense against natural law[/quote]

Cmom is still hell-bent that is wasn't a hate crime.

Yeah, but she later clarified what she meant by that, saying that she does not condone murder under any circumstance. She thinks it's morally good that the boys recognized homosexual activity and cross-dressing as being problematic, but she also made it clear that the boys had no right to resort to violence. I really don't think she implied that it's okay to taunt, bully, hurt, or kill gay people.

As for cmom, I don't think she outright denied that this was a hate crime. Rather, I got the impression that she thinks it's too early to know for sure. My belief is that the motive for this crime isn't 100% clear yet, but that Larry was probably killed because of his sexual orientation.

catholicinsd

[quote name='BeenaBobba' post='1489852' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:11 PM']I really don't think she implied that it's okay to taunt, bully, hurt, or kill gay people.[/quote]

I felt she implied that being militant againist homosexuals is acceptable.