An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Fuzzy Bunny Crusade

Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Catholictothecore' date='08 May 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1273380941' post='2107499']
ok, I've not used Yahoo before. I know, I know, pathetic. What can I say, I'm a Google man? Do I sign up just from Yahoo's homepage, or is there a special section I need to go through.
[/quote]
Just run Yahoo Answers in a search. It's pretty self-explanatory.

mommas_boy

One down. Link [url="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnXpDs.zO0ctIXSmEZWDGczsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100508213239AAR6Xrw&show=7#profile-info-uBltiG2raa"]here[/url].

Question:
[indent]
If life is a test for God, why are we not given equal amounts of time to take it?
Many people die on their own sooner than others. How can God send them to hell if they probably were going to repent if they got the equal amount of time as other people? If life is a test, it doesn't make much sense to judge someone without knowing how they would have done if they were given a fair amount of time as everyone else.
[/indent]

Answer: (I'm "Kristopher".)
[indent]
God WANTS mankind to be united with him in heaven. He doesn't WANT to send people to hell, but allows them the chance to make that choice themselves. God is like a good parent that allows their child to make their own mistakes out of love, and offers forgiveness when those mistakes are made, if that forgiveness is simply asked for.

God created the world not to "test" human life, but instead "for the sake of communion with his divine life". Again, going back to the parent example: human parents don't have children for the sake of testing them. God, our heavenly father, doesn't want to test us either. Like a real parent, he wants to love us, wants us to love him, and wants us to have the freedom to choose to love. That's what I mean when I say God created us "for the sake of communion with his divine life" -- to love him and to be loved by him. Life on earth is designed not as an admissions test, but as a preparation for, eternal life with God.

This communion is "brought about by the 'convocation' of men in Christ". "Convocation" here means "to call together". God calls all men and women together to experience communion with one another. Just like a real parent, God wants us to relate with other people. These relationships are not a test, but instead teach us about the real relationship that God wants to have with us. This convocation of people together, striving to love one another and love God, is what is known as the Church.

Ultimately, we cannot look at life as a "test", but rather as a preparation for what is to come in heaven. Because, what good parent has children for the purpose of testing them? No, parents have children for the purpose of sharing life with them. Sadly, some children decide to disown their parents and families, or may even feel as though THEY were the ones who were disowned. But never so with God. He is always waiting to offer his forgiveness, but will never force it upon us, out of love and respect for us.
[/indent]

Referenced CCC 760

Nihil Obstat

Eagle_Eye is helping me out. We're setting up a Yahoo group to start really coordinating this. Then we can start hitting hard with our responses.

As soon as we get a certain number of points, which should take a few weeks, we can start giving positive and negative votes to answers. The idea, obviously, is that all of us will answer, then all of us will up-vote each other's answers, and down-vote wrong ones.

Gregorius

can you share yahoo names so our answers can be voted up and thus seen at the top of the page?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Gregorius' date='09 May 2010 - 12:48 AM' timestamp='1273384129' post='2107542']
can you share yahoo names so our answers can be voted up and thus seen at the top of the page?
[/quote]
As soon as our Yahoo group is ready we'll start migrating there. We'll share screennames privately and work from that outside group.

mommas_boy

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 May 2010 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1273383735' post='2107539']
Eagle_Eye is helping me out. We're setting up a Yahoo group to start really coordinating this. Then we can start hitting hard with our responses.

As soon as we get a certain number of points, which should take a few weeks, we can start giving positive and negative votes to answers. The idea, obviously, is that all of us will answer, then all of us will up-vote each other's answers, and down-vote wrong ones.
[/quote]

Creating a Yahoo group for the purpose of coordinating where our points go (esp. "Hey, Momma's Boy just posted. Vote him up!") might violate their terms of service:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/answers/abuse/guidelines-12.html;_ylt=AiNkIZz1Gzvk01rUHjPzCT9ujSN4

I think it's a type of "point-gaming". It'd be a thin line ...

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='mommas_boy' date='09 May 2010 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1273384349' post='2107546']
Creating a Yahoo group for the purpose of coordinating where our points go (esp. "Hey, Momma's Boy just posted. Vote him up!") might violate their terms of service:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/answers/abuse/guidelines-12.html;_ylt=AiNkIZz1Gzvk01rUHjPzCT9ujSN4

I think it's a type of "point-gaming". It'd be a thin line ...
[/quote]
You're probably right. In that case we'll need to be really careful about how we go about it.

Nihil Obstat

On the other hand, they don't mention point-cabals anywhere so far.

mommas_boy

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 May 2010 - 02:08 AM' timestamp='1273385290' post='2107553']
On the other hand, they don't mention point-cabals anywhere so far.
[/quote]

True, that's why I'm torn. Plus, I've always wanted to be a cabalist. :evil:

I figure that if they will punish one person having multiple accounts, then they ought to punish one "group" with multiple accounts. That group is still directed with one single intention, the way that one person is directed with one intention. Basically, despite our best intentions, I think we would have a hard time defending why everyone in our "group" always votes for everyone else in our group. It would appear as though we were all the same person. Having a Yahoo group to coordinate things simply documents all the evidence on their servers, too.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='mommas_boy' date='09 May 2010 - 01:19 AM' timestamp='1273385996' post='2107563']
True, that's why I'm torn. Plus, I've always wanted to be a cabalist. :evil:

I figure that if they will punish one person having multiple accounts, then they ought to punish one "group" with multiple accounts. That group is still directed with one single intention, the way that one person is directed with one intention. Basically, despite our best intentions, I think we would have a hard time defending why everyone in our "group" always votes for everyone else in our group. It would appear as though we were all the same person. Having a Yahoo group to coordinate things simply documents all the evidence on their servers, too.
[/quote]
It certainly could look like a single person. Although they'll be able to see IP addresses and can tell that we're definitely different people. It depends how strictly they plan on moderating. After all, our plan is just the free use of points that they gave us. There's no official conditions on those points, besides that you can't post specifically asking for them.

The way I see it, we might as well give it a try, and stop if they tell us to.

mommas_boy

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 May 2010 - 02:24 AM' timestamp='1273386244' post='2107569']
It certainly could look like a single person. Although they'll be able to see IP addresses and can tell that we're definitely different people. It depends how strictly they plan on moderating. After all, our plan is just the free use of points that they gave us. There's no official conditions on those points, besides that you can't post specifically asking for them.

The way I see it, we might as well give it a try, and stop if they tell us to.
[/quote]

They could claim that we were using a proxy server to mask our IP addresses. Plus, IP addresses are not static things to begin with, and are not useful in establishing identity. EDIT: Go to a coffee shop, or simply reboot your modem ... bingo! You have a new IP.

Edited by mommas_boy

Gregorius

I'm browsing the Christian forums right now. . . There's a whole sub-forum on Liberal Catholics. Looks like Conversion material. That Guy JimR-OCDS is over there.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 May 2010 - 04:19 AM' timestamp='1273375176' post='2107418']
After it's squished, would you skin it and make a yummy dinner?
[/quote]
I have a dream of making Easter Bunny Fricasee someday. :mellow: