eagle_eye222001 Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 May 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1273375176' post='2107418'] ...On a more serious note, I'm interested to know where people sit on this: Should the reinvention of the FBC be small-team based, or should we make use of a common pool of topics? If it were team based, we could potentially go to more corners of t3h int3rwebz, but in my opinion this would sacrifice depth and experience in any individual group. Personally, I prefer the idea of having a common pool of active topics, which all the members would participate in a few times a week. That way we have the full depth for all topics, and while we'd have to be more selective about our topics, we may be able to cover them with greater depth and strength. [/quote] I think you should send it to committee where it will die in the abyss of opinions and personal interpretation. Or let it stew in Open Mic as the thread migrates to 20 pages and joins the ranks of such debates as "Is this Modest?" or "The Christianity of Potter and other Stories..." Nihil,......Seize power, proclaim yourself with "Divine Right" and lead through brute force. You are the one resurrecting it...lay the ground rules, strategically offer differing levels of membership with the $10 Bronze level being a T-shirt and Sharpie marker, the $20 Silver level being a T-Shirt and Sharpie marker with a FREE link to the New American Bible, and the $50 Gold Level with all the stuff previous mention and a documentary on your rags-to-riches journey. Seriously though, draw up a roster which I believe you have already done, form battalions, and send them out to engage the negative IQ of Yahoo Answers and give correct answers to such questions as "why do priests wear funny clothes?"... The Continental Army waits at Valley Forge...will their leader stay in his tent and draw up a new mission statement while the army disintegrates or will he lead his army in their endeavor to recapture Jerusalem?
Nihil Obstat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='08 May 2010 - 10:44 PM' timestamp='1273376677' post='2107445'] I think you should send it to committee where it will die in the abyss of opinions and personal interpretation. Or let it stew in Open Mic as the thread migrates to 20 pages and joins the ranks of such debates as "Is this Modest?" or "The Christianity of Potter and other Stories..." Nihil,......Seize power, proclaim yourself with "Divine Right" and lead through brute force. You are the one resurrecting it...lay the ground rules, strategically offer differing levels of membership with the $10 Bronze level being a T-shirt and Sharpie marker, the $20 Silver level being a T-Shirt and Sharpie marker with a FREE link to the New American Bible, and the $50 Gold Level with all the stuff previous mention and a documentary on your rags-to-riches journey. Seriously though, draw up a roster which I believe you have already done, form battalions, and send them out to engage the negative IQ of Yahoo Answers and give correct answers to such questions as "why do priests wear funny clothes?"... The Continental Army waits at Valley Forge...will their leader stay in his tent and draw up a new mission statement while the army disintegrates or will he lead his army in their endeavor to recapture Jerusalem? [/quote] Omg, k, you're inspiring. I'm going to take this advice for the time being and force my will upon the group, and say we're going to pool active topics. I think Yahoo answers is a brilliant place to start. I shall work out details starting now.
laetitia crucis Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='09 May 2010 - 12:44 AM' timestamp='1273376677' post='2107445'] I think you should send it to committee where it will die in the abyss of opinions and personal interpretation. Or let it stew in Open Mic as the thread migrates to 20 pages and joins the ranks of such debates as "Is this Modest?" or "The Christianity of Potter and other Stories..." Nihil,......Seize power, proclaim yourself with "Divine Right" and lead through brute force. You are the one resurrecting it...lay the ground rules, strategically offer differing levels of membership with the $10 Bronze level being a T-shirt and Sharpie marker, the $20 Silver level being a T-Shirt and Sharpie marker with a FREE link to the New American Bible, and the $50 Gold Level with all the stuff previous mention and a documentary on your rags-to-riches journey. Seriously though, draw up a roster which I believe you have already done, form battalions, and send them out to engage the negative IQ of Yahoo Answers and give correct answers to such questions as "why do priests wear funny clothes?"... The Continental Army waits at Valley Forge...will their leader stay in his tent and draw up a new mission statement while the army disintegrates or will he lead his army in their endeavor to recapture Jerusalem? [/quote] Wow. I am inspired.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Posted May 9, 2010 All right, here's the deal. I have just registered for a yahoo account, which you need to answer questions. It's easy, just like an MSN email and what have you. I'm not going to use my PM screenname or this, or any, FBC ventures, just to keep PM safe from anyone who may not appreciate our 'net evangelization. I recommend that the following people: Nihil Obstat HisChildForever Resurrexi mommas_boy CherieMadame Tridenteen CatherineM Zunshynn Catholictothecore Gregorius USAirwaysIHS sacredheartandbloodofjesus also register a Yahoo account so we can start answering questions. This is kind of a practice run. We're about to see what sort of things we might run in to.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Posted May 9, 2010 For now I'm going to answer "open questions" on the main page, in whatever topics feel relevant.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Posted May 9, 2010 I'm finding Yahoo answers, however, to be a very difficult system. It's almost impossible to get a clear point across in any topic that would be relevant to us. Their culture seems geared towards quick, trite answers.
jeffpugh Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' date='08 May 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1273368805' post='2107321'] Hahaha don't try to understand girl humor... [/quote] I think he just did [quote name='mommas_boy' date='08 May 2010 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1273368886' post='2107323'] What about Hippie Catholics? No, I meant any websites that we want to focus on? I think partnering up, at the least, is a good idea. [/quote] Lawl. Do you get 'teh win' for nerd sniping? [quote name='Gregorius' date='08 May 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1273370816' post='2107358'] But then there's the question of how to sneak the entire crusade in without anyone getting suspicious, but then, you're in charge! edit: sorry, I see what you mean, I must still not be thinking straight. [/quote] Well, here's the deal. When I did a similar thing back in the day, we would go in waves. Give or take a week between joins. Sort of like how the Jesuits landed in England after all heck broke loose there with Henry VIII. [quote name='Apotheoun' date='08 May 2010 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1273374217' post='2107403'] What's wrong with a fuzzy bunny. Did people miss the picture I posted earlier? [img]http://kyecha.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/another_cute_bunny_by_m2pg.jpg[/img] [/quote] CUTE!!! [quote name='HisChildForever' date='08 May 2010 - 11:33 PM' timestamp='1273376006' post='2107435'] What on earth could have compelled you to post that? [/quote] Teh lullz? [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 May 2010 - 11:34 PM' timestamp='1273376061' post='2107436'] For teh lulz. [/quote] Ohhh! And the currency value for teh lullz dropped wayyy below 'teh win'. It's going to be a long time before we see a jump in value again [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 May 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1273376126' post='2107439'] Rabbits rather recently evolved from small squishy fruits that grew on large puffy bushes. [/quote]
eagle_eye222001 Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 May 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1273378538' post='2107474'] I'm finding Yahoo answers, however, to be a very difficult system. It's almost impossible to get a clear point across in any topic that would be relevant to us. Their culture seems geared towards quick, trite answers. [/quote] I see a way...
Laudate_Dominum Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBwryfycvk[/media]
Hilde Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 Which questions on yahoo. I don't know how much I can contribute, but I at least want to stalk.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Posted May 9, 2010 I went into the "Family and Relationships" section, and I'm trying to answer questions where I can work in stuff about human dignity. I've been posting that site [url="http://www.demandyourdignity.com/"]Demand Your Dignity[/url] where I can.
eagle_eye222001 Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='Hilde' date='09 May 2010 - 12:24 AM' timestamp='1273379071' post='2107483'] Which questions on yahoo. I don't know how much I can contribute, but I at least want to stalk. [/quote] Questions pertaining to the Catholic faith as we are often terribly misrepresented. We will have a Press Release later in the thread on the group.
mommas_boy Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 May 2010 - 12:29 AM' timestamp='1273379361' post='2107486'] I went into the "Family and Relationships" section, and I'm trying to answer questions where I can work in stuff about human dignity. I've been posting that site [url="http://www.demandyourdignity.com/"]Demand Your Dignity[/url] where I can. [/quote] There is also the category: "Society & Culture" > "Religion and Spirituality". I'm going to peruse around in there.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='mommas_boy' date='08 May 2010 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1273379936' post='2107490'] There is also the category: "Society & Culture" > "Religion and Spirituality". I'm going to peruse around in there. [/quote] Ooh, I didn't realize there were subcategories. Good plan.
Catholictothecore Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 ok, I've not used Yahoo before. I know, I know, pathetic. What can I say, I'm a Google man? Do I sign up just from Yahoo's homepage, or is there a special section I need to go through.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='Catholictothecore' date='08 May 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1273380941' post='2107499'] ok, I've not used Yahoo before. I know, I know, pathetic. What can I say, I'm a Google man? Do I sign up just from Yahoo's homepage, or is there a special section I need to go through. [/quote] Just run Yahoo Answers in a search. It's pretty self-explanatory.
mommas_boy Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 One down. Link [url="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnXpDs.zO0ctIXSmEZWDGczsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100508213239AAR6Xrw&show=7#profile-info-uBltiG2raa"]here[/url]. Question: [indent] If life is a test for God, why are we not given equal amounts of time to take it? Many people die on their own sooner than others. How can God send them to hell if they probably were going to repent if they got the equal amount of time as other people? If life is a test, it doesn't make much sense to judge someone without knowing how they would have done if they were given a fair amount of time as everyone else. [/indent] Answer: (I'm "Kristopher".) [indent] God WANTS mankind to be united with him in heaven. He doesn't WANT to send people to hell, but allows them the chance to make that choice themselves. God is like a good parent that allows their child to make their own mistakes out of love, and offers forgiveness when those mistakes are made, if that forgiveness is simply asked for. God created the world not to "test" human life, but instead "for the sake of communion with his divine life". Again, going back to the parent example: human parents don't have children for the sake of testing them. God, our heavenly father, doesn't want to test us either. Like a real parent, he wants to love us, wants us to love him, and wants us to have the freedom to choose to love. That's what I mean when I say God created us "for the sake of communion with his divine life" -- to love him and to be loved by him. Life on earth is designed not as an admissions test, but as a preparation for, eternal life with God. This communion is "brought about by the 'convocation' of men in Christ". "Convocation" here means "to call together". God calls all men and women together to experience communion with one another. Just like a real parent, God wants us to relate with other people. These relationships are not a test, but instead teach us about the real relationship that God wants to have with us. This convocation of people together, striving to love one another and love God, is what is known as the Church. Ultimately, we cannot look at life as a "test", but rather as a preparation for what is to come in heaven. Because, what good parent has children for the purpose of testing them? No, parents have children for the purpose of sharing life with them. Sadly, some children decide to disown their parents and families, or may even feel as though THEY were the ones who were disowned. But never so with God. He is always waiting to offer his forgiveness, but will never force it upon us, out of love and respect for us. [/indent] Referenced CCC 760
Nihil Obstat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Posted May 9, 2010 Eagle_Eye is helping me out. We're setting up a Yahoo group to start really coordinating this. Then we can start hitting hard with our responses. As soon as we get a certain number of points, which should take a few weeks, we can start giving positive and negative votes to answers. The idea, obviously, is that all of us will answer, then all of us will up-vote each other's answers, and down-vote wrong ones.
Gregorius Posted May 9, 2010 Posted May 9, 2010 can you share yahoo names so our answers can be voted up and thus seen at the top of the page?
Nihil Obstat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Posted May 9, 2010 [quote name='Gregorius' date='09 May 2010 - 12:48 AM' timestamp='1273384129' post='2107542'] can you share yahoo names so our answers can be voted up and thus seen at the top of the page? [/quote] As soon as our Yahoo group is ready we'll start migrating there. We'll share screennames privately and work from that outside group.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now