An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Fuzzy Bunny Crusade

Nihil Obstat

HisChildForever

I just want to point out that a lot of people will cry foul for no reason. I have only ever engaged with Protestants (i.e. Christian Teen Forums) and I cannot count the number of times they called me rude, pompous, uncharitable, self-righteous, etc. - ironically not even realizing that name-calling falls under some (if not all) of those categories. I would read over my posts and I swear I could not find a single thing that would have personally targeted their person. All I would do was defend the Church and provide Scriptures or history to counter their senseless accusations. For example, instead of saying "Oh well, the Church has the fullness of Truth, not my problem you accept your heresy" which would be uncharitable of course, I would say "The Catholic Church professes to hold the fullness of Truth" and I would be called self-righteous for that. Someone actually called me cruel. Sometimes I wondered if they actually read my posts, because I would make a point and someone would respond to it as if I had written something completely different.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 May 2010 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1273420324' post='2107672']
I just want to point out that a lot of people will cry foul for no reason...
[/quote]

Oh they have a reason. They know they are wrong, and they feel very threatened. So they lash out illogically to mask their weakness and convince themselves they are still right.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 May 2010 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1273420324' post='2107672']
I just want to point out that a lot of people will cry foul for no reason. I have only ever engaged with Protestants (i.e. Christian Teen Forums) and I cannot count the number of times they called me rude, pompous, uncharitable, self-righteous, etc. - ironically not even realizing that name-calling falls under some (if not all) of those categories. I would read over my posts and I swear I could not find a single thing that would have personally targeted their person. All I would do was defend the Church and provide Scriptures or history to counter their senseless accusations. For example, instead of saying "Oh well, the Church has the fullness of Truth, not my problem you accept your heresy" which would be uncharitable of course, I would say "The Catholic Church professes to hold the fullness of Truth" and I would be called self-righteous for that. Someone actually called me cruel. Sometimes I wondered if they actually read my posts, because I would make a point and someone would respond to it as if I had written something completely different.
[/quote]
The classic [i]argumentum ad hominem[/i], Christian style. In debates with Protestants (as well as in Catholic vs. Catholic debates) it seems that many will conveniently decide that an "uncharitable" messenger cannot be speaking God's truth (unless that messenger happens to be supporting their pov). Coming from a Christian it often indicates that they're disposed to write you off. I suppose it isn't hard to assume malice in a person's post.
For a little while I would post on a militant atheist board where people would sideline and ridicule you if you could not play the flame war game with some intensity. It was as though searing rhetoric were the main indicator of credibility. :lol:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 May 2010 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1273420324' post='2107672']
[/quote]
I've experienced something similar. And I'm fairly certain the other person didn't read the post, because the response made little sense with what had been written. And so I continue to ask for Our Lady's and St Monica's intercession.

goldenchild17

I don't really have any intention of joining again. It was fun while I was in, but I don't think I know enough as I thought I did back when I was a part of it. I was just going to say that it might be interesting if the FBC at least considered taking a different approach this time, maybe on a trial basis. When the FBC was in action before it divided people into teams to take up residence on different non-Catholic message boards. And this was good, and probably had good results for some people. But maybe the group might consider trying a different audience this time? An audience that isn't focused on apologetics (such as one would see on protestant message boards where people join simply to debate theological issues.

Maybe join news sites and be actively involved on commenting on news stories, correcting the many errors people usually post there. Or join youtube and have a team work on posting Catholic videos. Or twitter and have a team post things there. Same with facebook and myspace or wherever else.

Doing what was done last time would still be good, but I wonder if this new approach would be seen by more people (being far bigger sites) and be seen by people who are not as militant in their anti-Catholicism and thus be more open to accepting Catholicism.

just a thought about something I was thinking about starting at some point.

Edited by goldenchild17

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 May 2010 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1273376617' post='2107444']
[img]http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/ww2propaganda/example-canadian.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
[img]http://rlv.zcache.com/ww1_collectors_card_1914_canada_propaganda_postcard-p239195880896162913trdg_400.jpg[/img]

HisChildForever

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='09 May 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1273429328' post='2107702']
I don't really have any intention of joining again. It was fun while I was in, but I don't think I know enough as I thought I did back when I was a part of it. I was just going to say that it might be interesting if the FBC at least considered taking a different approach this time, maybe on a trial basis. When the FBC was in action before it divided people into teams to take up residence on different non-Catholic message boards. And this was good, and probably had good results for some people. But maybe the group might consider trying a different audience this time? An audience that isn't focused on apologetics (such as one would see on protestant message boards where people join simply to debate theological issues.

Maybe join news sites and be actively involved on commenting on news stories, correcting the many errors people usually post there. Or join youtube and have a team work on posting Catholic videos. Or twitter and have a team post things there. Same with facebook and myspace or wherever else.

Doing what was done last time would still be good, but I wonder if this new approach would be seen by more people (being far bigger sites) and be seen by people who are not as militant in their anti-Catholicism and thus be more open to accepting Catholicism.

[/quote]

I firmly believe that forums are the best place, because most people who join are there for a purpose (save trolls and spammers) and want to be involved in an online community. Trying to evangelize or inform on YouTube would be an absolute waste of time, because no one takes those comments seriously.

goldenchild17

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 May 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1273431954' post='2107718']
I firmly believe that forums are the best place, because most people who join are there for a purpose (save trolls and spammers) and want to be involved in an online community. Trying to evangelize or inform on YouTube would be an absolute waste of time, because no one takes those comments seriously.
[/quote]

fair enough. Forums can be a fine place to work with. It's just not for me anymore. I've seen far more success in more public, more popular places, but maybe that's just because I spend more time in places like that. And just for clarification, I wasn't talking about just comments on youtube, I was talking about a team here making videos to put on youtube. But yes I get your point. :smokey:

HisChildForever

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='09 May 2010 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1273432988' post='2107722']
fair enough. Forums can be a fine place to work with. It's just not for me anymore. I've seen far more success in more public, more popular places, but maybe that's just because I spend more time in places like that. And just for clarification, I wasn't talking about just comments on youtube, I was talking about a team here making videos to put on youtube. But yes I get your point. :smokey:
[/quote]
:D

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='09 May 2010 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1273429328' post='2107702']

[/quote]
You and I are on a similar wavelength. I think we could do some good going onto secular forums and bringing a Catholic perspective to hot issues, most especially issues of sexuality.
It seems like we never get anywhere arguing with Protestants..... :P

goldenchild17

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 May 2010 - 01:24 PM' timestamp='1273433087' post='2107724']
:D
[/quote]

:) s'all good. Just a random thought, like I said I didn't have any intentions of getting involved again anyways. So no point in me sticking my nose where it has no place to be. Setting it up just like it was before would be good too.

goldenchild17

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 May 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1273433519' post='2107728']
That tattoo is GORGEOUS.
[/quote]

thank you :) It definitely turned out WAY better than I could have ever hoped.

I already have a yahoo account and I already have 144 points, so I can increase my points to be able to rate. I've been answering some pet questions today. :P I'm not sure how much I'll participate but I can at least rate, but answering may not be as hard as I think.