An Old School Catholic Message Board

Amppax's Musings And Ruminations

Amppax

It makes me think of cattle. What with them being ruminants and all...

I would think that is the origins of the word.  Or the other way around.  

Cattle makes me think of St. Thomas Aquinas "the Dumb Ox"

I would think that is the origins of the word. Or the other way around.

Cattle makes me think of St. Thomas Aquinas "the Dumb Ox"

Indeed. Ruminare - to chew again.

A semester's work of Econ homework due tomorrow, a change of the due date on the very last class, after the class was over.  And a 6-10 page paper to write for tomorrow.  Therefore, basketball scores and Phatmass.  QED.   

Ah, so that is why you don't post in the homework thread! THis is your homework thread.

Your screen name always was interpreted as peace to me, and I think that is because I took Latin. It also kinda makes me think of music (amp).

hmm.

Ah, so that is why you don't post in the homework thread! THis is your homework thread.

Well it's not supposed to be.  It's supposed to be a running train of thoughts, as a humble homage to BG45's excellent thread.  Unfortunately homework is all that I think about.  One day, I'll have interesting thoughts to post.  One day. 

Edited by Amppax

Well it's not supposed to be.  It's supposed to be a running train of thoughts, as a humble homage to BG45's excellent thread.  Unfortunately homework is all that I think about.  One day, I'll have interesting thoughts to post.  One day. 

Thank you good sir, and mine has primarily been about dissertation and class this week, so I know the feeling!

'Tis the season.

First post in a while that WON'T be about homework and exams.

Went to Mass this morning with my girlfriend at St. Peter's (Which is an absolutely gorgeous church).  Father's homily this morning was excellent, he talked about using advent and penance.  His insight about penance was that it was work we did, so as to quiet ourselves to receive grace.  Honestly, I won't do his homily justice summarizing it.  

Also, Bob Evan's Golden Cornmeal Mush is delicious.  The previous sentence is one I never thought I'd type.  This date (I think you can call it that) was much needed, considering we've both been so busy.  

Tis the season indeed!

And glad you got a much needed break together in Amppax!  Sounds like a good homily. :)  My priest talked a lot about reconciliation and having just had the honor to help with first Confessions for some little kids, and how it sometimes guilts their parents into coming back to the Sacrament.  "I am not breaking any seals, but to give you a general idea, a hypothetical.  'Forgive me Father, it's been 20 years.'  'Welcome back!!  So what do you need to confess?'  'I've done a lot of stuff...'  'What sort of stuff?' 'Sinful stuff.' 'What sort of sinful stuff?'" and then he went on into the need for better Catechesis if people can't even tell what is and isn't a sin, and how he felt he had failed sometimes as a priest as well, but that we are all called to repentance.

Tis the season indeed!

And glad you got a much needed break together in Amppax!  Sounds like a good homily. :)  My priest talked a lot about reconciliation and having just had the honor to help with first Confessions for some little kids, and how it sometimes guilts their parents into coming back to the Sacrament.  "I am not breaking any seals, but to give you a general idea, a hypothetical.  'Forgive me Father, it's been 20 years.'  'Welcome back!!  So what do you need to confess?'  'I've done a lot of stuff...'  'What sort of stuff?' 'Sinful stuff.' 'What sort of sinful stuff?'" and then he went on into the need for better Catechesis if people can't even tell what is and isn't a sin, and how he felt he had failed sometimes as a priest as well, but that we are all called to repentance.

Haha "sinful stuff"!  That's actually really funny, in a sort of sad way.  

I'll just put this here for all finals takers: 

155479_450563791657946_1083534242_n.jpg

Haha "sinful stuff"! That's actually really funny, in a sort of sad way.

I'll just put this here for all finals takers:
155479_450563791657946_1083534242_n.jpg

I like it. Sitting here with a big cup of coffee, a book in my lap, and about to go take a final, I can relate. :P

It is sad, the sinful stuff, but I agree funny.  I found myself laughing, because I could imagine people doing that.  In fact that probably happened during the communal penance thing I went to.  The priest I got stared at me, "How long have you been? Four months? Six months? Please tell me not twelve years!" and it had been a while for the previous Confessions and we were done in 5 minutes...so I think I had people who had come back after a while in front of me (praise be to God!). 

And amen guys...I touched caffeine today for the first time in months as a dissertation pick me up at 7am.  :|

I am currently in the middle of the most relaxing finals week ever.  I really should be studying harder, but I'm just not worried at all. 

Haha I did laugh, mainly because I really can't do anything for him. Actually if he's coming in here as a freshman housing is really easy, its a pain otherwise, but as a freshman its really easy.

Well... I see how it is..

Maybe I've decided not to go to Franciscan, anyways... :P

Well... I see how it is..

Maybe I've decided not to go to Franciscan, anyways... :P

Really nothing I could do.  

Apart from break into my boss' boss' office and change your housing.  But I like my job, so I really can't help.  

Also, that post was on page three of this thread. This is page eighteen.