An Old School Catholic Message Board

Amppax's Musings And Ruminations

Amppax

Wow, Amp. It's amesome to see how things are going. I am praying for you.

If you could through a few my way, that would be amesome too. I'm in the realatively "advanced" stages of the seminary application. So far, so good. 

"Oremus ad invincem" as they say.

Definitely be praying for you bud.  Have you done the psychological eval yet? I've heard its a beast of a process. 

So I didn't get the summer teaching job in Lexington.  Really bummed to hear that because I had felt really good about my application.  It was probably good for my pride though not to get the job; this is the first thing in a while that I've wanted and haven't gotten.  Now I just need to look into working at St. Paul Center more, and maybe look into summer classes here in Steubenville. 

I'm taking midterms at 8 AM and 9 AM this morning, and a Quiz at 2; prayers, as always, would be appreciated. 

Sorry you didn't get the job, but hopefully the internship!  And hopefully you get accepted to that accelerated Masters as well.

Sorry you didn't get the job, but hopefully the internship!  And hopefully you get accepted to that accelerated Masters as well.

I should get into the Accelerated Masters.  It's based almost exclusively on GPA, and my GPA is well above the threshhold.  I pretty much just need to fill out the paper work.  I'm hoping to figure out some of the information regarding the internship today.  I'm not sure exactly how to contact them, I'm trying to talk to a friend who works their. 

The exams both went well, which was a nice suprise.  Both seemed to focus on the areas that I spent the most time studying. 

The exams both went well, which was a nice suprise. Both seemed to focus on the areas that I spent the most time studying.

Sounds like St Joseph Cupertino was helping you out!

I am right in the middle of the psych evaluations. Accomplished the written part last week, now I have to meet with "the shrink".

That's too bad about the summer job. But you know the cliche' "when God closes one door, he opens another."

Sounds like St Joseph Cupertino was helping you out!

I am right in the middle of the psych evaluations. Accomplished the written part last week, now I have to meet with "the shrink".

That's too bad about the summer job. But you know the cliche' "when God closes one door, he opens another."

Ooh fun stuff.  A friend of mine spent a semester in a college seminary before discerning out.  He's one of the more creative people I know; he's really smart, really funny, and really idealistic and a dreamer.  Most people I know who know they are smart (or at least have always been told they are) also tend towards being arrogant.  My friend is no exception.  He got his psych evaluation back and it accused him of having delusions of grandeur, which made us all laugh.  

And I hope so, I may be an intern at  St. Paul's Center for Biblical Theology, which was started by Scott Hahn.  It would be an awesome opportunity.

DUTYNIGHT

DUTYNIGHT

DUTYNIGHT

DUTYNIGHT

DUTYNIGHT

DUTYNIGHT

DUTYNIGHT

DUTYNIGHT

DUTYNIGHT

DUTYNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Just read this for the first time today.  I love our Pope Emeritus! from Spe Salvi:

39. To suffer with the other and for others; to suffer for the sake of truth and justice; to suffer out of love and in order to become a person who truly loves—these are fundamental elements of humanity, and to abandon them would destroy man himself. Yet once again the question arises: are we capable of this? Is the other important enough to warrant my becoming, on his account, a person who suffers? Does truth matter to me enough to make suffering worthwhile? Is the promise of love so great that it justifies the gift of myself? In the history of humanity, it was the Christian faith that had the particular merit of bringing forth within man a new and deeper capacity for these kinds of suffering that are decisive for his humanity. The Christian faith has shown us that truth, justice and love are not simply ideals, but enormously weighty realities. It has shown us that God —Truth and Love in person—desired to suffer for us and with us. Bernard of Clairvaux coined the marvellous expression: Impassibilis est Deus, sed non incompassibilis[29]—God cannot suffer, but he can suffer with. Man is worth so much to God that he himself became man in order to suffer with man in an utterly real way—in flesh and blood—as is revealed to us in the account of Jesus's Passion. Hence in all human suffering we are joined by one who experiences and carries that suffering with us; hence con-solatio is present in all suffering, the consolation of God's compassionate love—and so the star of hope rises. Certainly, in our many different sufferings and trials we always need the lesser and greater hopes too—a kind visit, the healing of internal and external wounds, a favourable resolution of a crisis, and so on. In our lesser trials these kinds of hope may even be sufficient. But in truly great trials, where I must make a definitive decision to place the truth before my own welfare, career and possessions, I need the certitude of that true, great hope of which we have spoken here. For this too we need witnesses—martyrs—who have given themselves totally, so as to show us the way—day after day. We need them if we are to prefer goodness to comfort, even in the little choices we face each day—knowing that this is how we live life to the full. Let us say it once again: the capacity to suffer for the sake of the truth is the measure of humanity. Yet this capacity to suffer depends on the type and extent of the hope that we bear within us and build upon. The saints were able to make the great journey of human existence in the way that Christ had done before them, because they were brimming with great hope.

Just watched two of my household brothers (well one's a future brother) enter the Church.  This isn't technically lame, but this thread is for all sorts of stuff.  One of them was baptized and everything, and I barely kept from laughing during it, it was so funny.  The interaction between the priest and my friend was really funny.  There was one point where my friend forgot he was supposed to say "I do" and said "Mhmm"; the priest glared at him for a second before he then said "I do."  Anyway it was a pretty special moment for them, and I was very blessed to be there.  

Happy Easter everyone! 

I have superglue all over my hands. And it wasn't even because of an April fools prank. Hmph. In other news, my girlfriend gets back in tomorrow!

Well I'm 21 now.  Went to a place called the Church Brew in Pittsburgh, really interesting place.  Had some sort of beer (which was OK I guess) and really good food. 

I know, I'm lame :|

Just turned in the longest paper of my academic career thus far.  25 page exegesis on the Parable of the Prodigal and his Brother.  I love the Bible.  

5 page book review, you may think you'll best me.  But I have not yet begun to fight.  

No seriously, it's due in 9 hours, and really needs to be finished in 3 hours preferably.  So I'll go and type word #1.  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back! Exams are over and I'm just relaxing/doing RA work.

I'm a senior in college now. *deep breath* really don't know of any other reaction that fits. It's crazy.

I'm also now taking grad classes. Which will kick my butt.

Hurray for the end of exams and becoming a senior! :)

And the grad courses, maybe?  I think I said it once in your thread before, but the first semester of grad school, I think people usually take to adapt to the load and it seems worse than it does later.  You can do it!