An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trayvon Martin

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332683330' post='2407854']
Thou shall not murder.
[/quote]
[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332583992' post='2406972']
There's plenty of evidence this half white half mexican scum followed Trayvon for no reason. He told the cops it looks like he's up to no good and on drugs. The cops told him not to follow him. He did not listen. Trayvon weighed 140 pounds. This fat scum weighed 240 pounds. I cannot stand cops who are on power trips. I cannot stand even more wanna be cops who are on a power trip. It blows my mind that some people think this scum deserves to be walking around free. What if it was your kid ? This guy will get what he deserves though. Hopefully he repents before he gets what's coming to him.
[/quote]
It's not murder if you believe they deserve it and got it coming.

My brother-in-law was beaten by 3 neighborhood watch Zimmerman wannabes while posting a permit for a pool screen company. Severly broke his leg and put him in the hospital and out of work for months. My brother was charged initially because it was three stories against one. In the 35+ years I've known my BIL (before I met his sister), even back in the day when I was hustliing in the street, I've never known him to start a fight, much less against 3 guys.

He was a stranger in a gated community, just as white as the guys who beat him. Their insurance ended up paying for his lost wages, hospital bills, lawyer, and a new car. Too bad he isn't black and could get the NBP to do what the government won't do.

Or maybe, it isn't a race thing. Maybe it's a flawed law? Maybe the Sanford police weren't racist, they were just lazy and thought Zimmerman was perfectly within the legal bounds of the law? Maybe Zimmerman wasn't racist, just paranoid, xenophobic (afraid of strangers), and/or acting out desires of being in-charge, doing what the government won't do.

Nah. Zimmerman's half white. He can't help but be racist. He's too mexican to be paranoid or xenophobic. The Police Chief of Sanford is too white to be lazy or misinformed of the law. It's being explained to us in the news and on the itternets.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332684447' post='2407868']
Oooo....you can use big smart people words! Can you teach me how to talk smart like you!??!?!?!

(If you don't have something valuable to add to the conversation, go away. I was making a point about media hypocrisy and how certain elements of culture get emphasized or hidden whenever a situation arises that appeals to, or against, the preconceived notions of the elite. Yes, race and culture are social constructs. So are words and language...but that's not what we're talking about here. You don't get to pull the "true nature of things" card whenever this is clearly being manipulated by guys like Al Sharpton to be a white v.s. black thing, despite the fact that Zimmerman was of mixed race)
[/quote]

I don't care if you don't find value in my thoughts, you don't get to decide what I say. It's crazy for anyone to say that race should never be mentioned because racism doesn't exist unless there is already explicit proof. Your own words about your brothers experience clearly show that you believe racism still exists, but that no one can do anything about it. Trayvon's race may not have played into Zimmerman's actions, but the response by the police is what's at question. Does anyone here believe that Zimmerman would have walked if he were Black and the kid was white?

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332684590' post='2407870']
These are your words:

I expected better from you.
[/quote]

The point I was making was that there will never be a day where racism, bigotry and prejudice doesn't exist. It just won't happen. We can work towards a more perfect society, but it's never going to be totally perfect.

And by the way, that goes for black people too. Let's not pretend that there aren't THOUSANDS of racially-motivated crimes each year perpetrated by African Americans towards white, Latino and Asian people. And how many times have you turned on the TV and seen a black or Latino comedian doing his or her "white people voice," to catcalls and great applause? How do you think that would go over if it were a white person doing the same thing towards other minorities?

Until you eradicate heuristics and analogies, people will always have preconceived notions about other people, places, things and events.

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332684896' post='2407872']
It's crazy for anyone to say that race should never be mentioned because racism doesn't exist unless there is already explicit proof.[/quote]

A) I never said that

B) Just because a white person killed a black person doesn't mean it's a hate crime. Unless there is explicit proof that Zimmerman is racist, it's idiotic and unfair to believe otherwise

[quote]Does anyone here believe that Zimmerman would have walked if he were Black and the kid was white?
[/quote]

The more apt question is would anyone here care if Trayvon had a criminal history of some sort? Would we have ever heard about this story? No, because it doesn't have the necessary "juiciness." It would still have been an example of the always-evil racial profiling, but if Zimmerman's fears had been well-founded, we would never have heard jack spit!

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332685115' post='2407876']
Kujo you fail to forget what white people have put black people through in this country. That matters my friend. That matters.
[/quote]

You're right--I [i]have [/i]"failed" to "forget" that [b]some[/b] white people did awful things to [b]some[/b] black people. I know the history, but I'm sorry--that has NOTHING to do with this case. The Irish, the Italian, the Germans, the JAPANESE, and others, were all subjected to torture and racism. Sure, African-Americans had it worse, but at what point do today's actions stand alone? And isn't there some sort of racism involved in giving excuses to people whose distant relatives may or may not have been the victims of slavery? Call me crazy, but I think black people are capable of doing every single thing that I am capable of, and don't need any excuses for their failures. No one gives me any excuses...so why should I give them any?

Edited by kujo

Criminal history such as what ? Underage drinking ? I did that. Theft ? I did that. What are we talking about. We know Martin had no felonies.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332684986' post='2407874']
The point I was making was that there will never be a day where racism, bigotry and prejudice doesn't exist. It just won't happen. We can work towards a more perfect society, but it's never going to be totally perfect.
[/quote]
So? We should still work toward a better society.
And by the way, that goes for black people too. Let's not pretend that there aren't THOUSANDS of racially-motivated crimes each year perpetrated by African Americans towards white, Latino and Asian people. [/quote] and also other Black people.
Those folks usually get arrested by the police. Let's not pretend that the police response isn't the real issue.

And how many times have you turned on the TV and seen a black or Latino comedian doing his or her "white people voice," to catcalls and great applause? How do you think that would go over if it were a white person doing the same thing towards other minorities?
[/quote]
I don't watch much TV, so I actually don't see much of that. The last time I went to a live comedy show, a white lady did an Asian voice. No one else seemed to care, but I didn't like it.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332685524' post='2407880']
Criminal history such as what ? Underage drinking ? I did that. Theft ? I did that. What are we talking about. We know Martin had no felonies.
[/quote]

You misunderstood my statement.

I was asking if, hypothetically, Trayvon had some sort of felony charges in his background, would this whole thing have even been noticed outside of Sanford?

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332683937' post='2407863']
You must not read much from Anomaly. The posts rarely contain serious content.
[/quote]I gave you props for this succinct, but well thought out analysis.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332685267' post='2407877']
A) I never said that

B) Just because a white person killed a black person doesn't mean it's a hate crime. Unless there is explicit proof that Zimmerman is racist, it's idiotic and unfair to believe otherwise

The more apt question is would anyone here care if Trayvon had a criminal history of some sort? Would we have ever heard about this story? No, because it doesn't have the necessary "juiciness." It would still have been an example of the always-evil racial profiling, but if Zimmerman's fears had been well-founded, we would never have heard jack spit!
[/quote]

My question is about the police response, not Zimmerman's motives. Zimmerman is a simple man with a hero complex. He probably would have failed the standard to carry a concealed gun in Texas.

The problem is it wasn't long ago in this country black people couldn't drink from the same water fountain or vote and ect ect ect. Its just reality. So ya things are still going to be sensitive. Things have got better but there are still some reaally racist people left. Doesn't mean all white people are to blame. Any one that has that attitude then floppy them.

Edited by Guest

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332683330' post='2407854']
Thou shall not murder.
[/quote]

Except there is no proof of "murder" in this case.

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332685640' post='2407881']
So? We should still work toward a better society. [/quote]

And when did I suggest otherwise?

[quote]and also other Black people.

Those folks usually get arrested by the police. Let's not pretend that the police response isn't the real issue.[/quote]

Agreed. Again, go back and read my posts in this thread and try and find one that suggests that I don't think the police in this case eff'ed up. I'll save you the trouble--you won't find it.

[quote]I don't watch much TV, so I actually don't see much of that. The last time I went to a live comedy show, a white lady did an Asian voice. No one else seemed to care, but I didn't like it.
[/quote]

Trust me...it's sort of a trademark.

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332685760' post='2407884']
My question is about the police response, not Zimmerman's motives. Zimmerman is a simple man with a hero complex. He probably would have failed the standard to carry a concealed gun in Texas.
[/quote]

Again, go back and re-read my posts and try to find an example of me not saying the police did wrong here.

You can't send Zimmerman to jail because of racist cops. He wasn't a cop, and his actions, based on my legal studies--not a lawyer--fall under this protection of this dumbarse law.