An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trayvon Martin

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332876762' post='2409295']
No there's not many atheist or agnostics who know mare about Catholicism then me. Posting irrationally I'll give you that.
[/quote]

what makes you think that an athiest or agnostic wouldnt be very knowledgeable about Catholicism?

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1332889163' post='2409372']
2) What made Zimmerman think Martin looked "suspicious".
[/quote]

A couple reports stated that Trayvon was using an earpiece to talk to his girlfriend. Every person I've seen using an earpiece to carry on a conversation while walking around appears schizophrenic to me. If the reports are true, that could explain why George thought he looked like he was on something.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1332877059' post='2409297']
That picture is not a picture of Trayvon. Looks like people just found thuggish pictures of a young black man who kind of looks like him and then tried to pass them off as him.
[/quote]

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332878028' post='2409303']
The photo with the gold teeth isn't Trayvon Martin either. I would make a joke about how we all look the same to white people, but someone will take it seriously and get upset, so I won't. It's perfectly normal and not racist at all for someone to have a difficult time distinguishing between similarly appearing people of an unfamiliar race or culture.

The thing is, it really shouldn't matter whether the gold teeth & lewd gesture photos are of Trayvon Martin. They don't change anything.
[/quote]

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1332878280' post='2409305']
Very true.

And this kid probably wasn't the saint that MSNBC is trying to turn him into. He was probably a normal 17 year old. Some good. Some bad. The issues isn't that the next Martin Luther King Jr. was struck down before his time. The issue is that a young man is dead for no good reason and there needs to be an accounting of exactly what happened.
[/quote]

Yeah, I saw an article about that today. Doesn't really matter, though. The point I was making is still valid--the images the major media outlets are running are deliberately misleading. Tonight, on Anderson Cooper, he had a photo reel with a dozen or so pictures, only 1 of which was remotely contemporaneous, and the rest of which featured pictures of Trayvon ranging from the age of 6 or 7 to 10 or 12. By portraying him as a "child"--which he was NOT, at the time of his death-- they are creating a false narrative. This narrative includes the equally-misleading one they've created around Zimmerman by refusing, until very recently, to unearth any other image of him other than that shot of him in a mug shot. In doing so, they've created the other character in their little passion play, the "evil one," who is only some angry racist man who murdered the little cute black boy in the Hollister shirt. The fact that Trayvon had 12 inches on him, and was a lean, athletic young man who had recently been suspended from school for being in possession of an empty marijuana baggie doesn't fit into this little bundle of tripe, so it's not discussed at all, or only mentioned in passing.

On the whole, I've been consistently hammering the points that:

A) We don't have a full account of what happened that night

B) The killing of Trayvon had nothing to do with race or racial profiling. Zimmerman felt Trayvon was suspicious because he fit a fairly general, but certainly racially-focused mold of what represents a possible danger: a young, tall, hooded black male. This is what caused him to approach Trayvon; however, the actual death occurred because of whatever transpired between the two of them in those "lost minutes." Probably a physical confrontation, which, again, had NOTHING to do with the fact that Trayvon was black, and Zimmerman was a mixed raced Latino.

C) The media firestorm only exists to put money in the pockets of the executives of the news organizations. They are selling a story for profit. You may be passionate about that story, but they are not. They want to make money, and they're doing so by deliberately fashioning something juicy out of an awful tragedy.

D) The "characters" in this play are ficticious and bare only a passing resemblance to the real life people they're based on.

E) The Sanford Police Department is a bad barrel with a bunch of bad apples. Their incompetence gave birth to this s***show!

The narrative they've created is a lot simpler, and therefore easier to sell to us: the evil racist white guy shot the cute black child. Inconvenient things like "truth" and "reality" turn their black and white story into an uglier shade of gray.

Edited by kujo

[url="http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sfl-prosecutor-sanford-police-sought-to-charge-zimmerman-20120327,0,5991068.story"]http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sfl-prosecutor-sanford-police-sought-to-charge-zimmerman-20120327,0,5991068.story[/url]

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332842857' post='2409066']
Don't call me sally just call me a ***** if its how you feel. Makes things a lot easier. Be blunt.
[/quote]
I am being blunt. You're the worst psychic ever. And you need medication.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1332939287' post='2409616']

I am being blunt. You're the worst psychic ever. And you need medication.
[/quote]

This is what I would interpret as pushing a button or yanking a chain. Am I qualified to know Winnie's true intent? No. But my lack of qualification should be obvious.

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332940421' post='2409619']
This is what I would interpret as pushing a button or yanking a chain. Am I qualified to know Winnie's true intent? No. But my lack of qualification should be obvious.
[/quote]
Turnabout is fair play, I reckon.

I would bet money that DB breathless canonization of a man murdered (yes, that is a judgement, and I could be wrong) by another man (I will not indulge in his whorish pleasuring of the state by assessing a 17 year old as a "child") is a product of some sense of racial guilt, perhaps spurred by a lingering worry that white devils really are superior. DB is instinctively a collectivist. When he confronts this, he will have the tools to defeat it. And when he does, he can cease his pandering.

Yo Winchester I wasn't yanking anyones chain with this thread. This story really left me heartbroken and filled with a lot of anger. Mabey it was because I kept seeing pics of him way younger. If so the media got me there. Also I won't argue I need medication. I've just never went to a doctor. I pry am bi polar. I guess I just grew up with a lot of "kinda" rracist and flat out racist people and since a young age I've always despised racism. I looked up collectivist in the dictionary but still am unsure what it means ? Fill me in. Peace brother.

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332942924' post='2409634']
Yo Winchester I wasn't yanking anyones chain with this thread. This story really left me heartbroken and filled with a lot of anger. Mabey it was because I kept seeing pics of him way younger. If so the media got me there. Also I won't argue I need medication. I've just never went to a doctor. I pry am bi polar. I guess I just grew up with a lot of "kinda" rracist and flat out racist people and since a young age I've always despised racism. I looked up collectivist in the dictionary but still am unsure what it means ? Fill me in. Peace brother.
[/quote]Don't just roll over and show your belly to Winnie. Ya, you got carried away with your passion. So do I, and almost everyone, (if not all) who post here. We just need to excercise a bit of temperance and patience with our passions. That doesn't require medication, just effort and practice. Again, water under the bridge.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332942924' post='2409634']
[/quote]
I don't think you're yanking anyone's chain. I am, though.

By calling you an instinctive collectivist, I am addressing your focus on groups, rather than individuals. That's all.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332911354' post='2409545']
Yeah, I saw an article about that today. Doesn't really matter, though. The point I was making is still valid--the images the major media outlets are running are deliberately misleading. Tonight, on Anderson Cooper, he had a photo reel with a dozen or so pictures, only 1 of which was remotely contemporaneous, and the rest of which featured pictures of Trayvon ranging from the age of 6 or 7 to 10 or 12. By portraying him as a "child"--which he was NOT, at the time of his death-- they are creating a false narrative. This narrative includes the equally-misleading one they've created around Zimmerman by refusing, until very recently, to unearth any other image of him other than that shot of him in a mug shot. In doing so, they've created the other character in their little passion play, the "evil one," who is only some angry racist man who murdered the little cute black boy in the Hollister shirt. The fact that Trayvon had 12 inches on him, and was a lean, athletic young man who had recently been suspended from school for being in possession of an empty marijuana baggie doesn't fit into this little bundle of tripe, so it's not discussed at all, or only mentioned in passing.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm different than most folks, but I my reaction wasn't based on Trayvon's age or George's mug shot.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332911354' post='2409545']
On the whole, I've been consistently hammering the points that:

A) We don't have a full account of what happened that night

B) The killing of Trayvon had nothing to do with race or racial profiling. Zimmerman felt Trayvon was suspicious because he fit a fairly general, but certainly racially-focused mold of what represents a possible danger: a young, tall, hooded black male. This is what caused him to approach Trayvon; however, the actual death occurred because of whatever transpired between the two of them in those "lost minutes." Probably a physical confrontation, which, again, had NOTHING to do with the fact that Trayvon was black, and Zimmerman was a mixed raced Latino.

C) The media firestorm only exists to put money in the pockets of the executives of the news organizations. They are selling a story for profit. You may be passionate about that story, but they are not. They want to make money, and they're doing so by deliberately fashioning something juicy out of an awful tragedy.

D) The "characters" in this play are ficticious and bare only a passing resemblance to the real life people they're based on.

E) The Sanford Police Department is a bad barrel with a bunch of bad apples. Their incompetence gave birth to this s***show!

The narrative they've created is a lot simpler, and therefore easier to sell to us: the evil racist white guy shot the cute black child. Inconvenient things like "truth" and "reality" turn their black and white story into an uglier shade of gray.
[/quote]

I do agree with you about points A, B, & D.

Regarding point C, I thought that the media firestorm came as a result of a groundswell of outrage. I saw things on facebook long before any major news/media outlet.

Regarding point E, up until this morning I would have agreed 100%. I did just read a story stating that the local detective wanted to charge George with manslaughter, but the state prosecutors refused because they thought they would lose at trial. The story stated that the prosecutors were contacted that night, but didn't even visit the scene. If that is true, I owe apolgies for my criticism of the cops and shift my focus on the state prosecutors.

I still don't think George is any more racist than the average wanna-be cop, but I do think that the lack of legal action is influenced by race.

A lot of people are using "think" when they really mean "guess", or "speculate based upon my own anecdotal experiences".

Myself included.

Edited by Winchester

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1332960355' post='2409734']
A lot of people are using "think" when they really mean "guess", or "speculate based upon my own anecdotal experiences".

Myself included.
[/quote]

I think you're right. :|

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1332960355' post='2409734']

Myself included.
[/quote]

I thought that is standard on Internet forums, and I would speculate that many people use those terms in that manner in the real world too.

I could be wrong, but isn't it common to say "know" instead of "think" when the statement is not a guess or speculation? Doesn't the phrase "I think" imply personal bias or incomplete knowledge?