An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trayvon Martin

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1332762883' post='2408644']
Reza, you can't win. DB can judge the hearts of others. He's psychic. Duh.
[/quote]I wish you had let me know this 4 pages ago. I thought he was a basic human with human limits to surity of knowledge, open to reason. Divine assurance can kick humility's butt, every time.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332764243' post='2408658']
I wish you had let me know this 4 pages ago. I thought he was a basic human with human limits to surity of knowledge, open to reason. Divine assurance can kick humility's butt, every time.
[/quote]
I don't feel the need to warn you, as your capacity for absurdity renders you nigh invulnerable. Reza is overly earnest, and will argue with DB in an unending attempt to win him over.

And I noticed the omniscience only this morning.

Edited by Winchester

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332755428' post='2408623']
You reply to Mercy Me if you see a crime going down you can follow. PLEASE REMIND ME WHAT CRIME SAINT TRAYVON WAS COMMITING???? And yes I call him saint cause I don't imagine he's in purgatory right now. Although some here might argue he's in hell.
[/quote]

Oh come on. Now you're sounding like CatholicinSD. :|

cmotherofpirl

You reply to Mercy Me if you see a crime going down you can follow. PLEASE REMIND ME WHAT CRIME SAINT TRAYVON WAS COMMITING???? And yes I call him saint cause I don't imagine he's in purgatory right now. Although some here might argue he's in hell.
[/quote]

O come on DB, this is ridiculous. Seriously.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1332769570' post='2408675']

Oh come on. Now you're sounding like CatholicinSD. :|
[/quote]
I don't think anything is wrong with trusting the infinite mercy of God.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332758029' post='2408627']
I'm gonna keep it 100 real quick...George liked black people but he didn't like.......as a white male I won't fill in the blank. Although I have been called it by black friends many times and I've used it many times. Although now as an adult the word doesn't come out of my mouth.........The problem is when you start lableing every person who dresses hiphop and is absorbed in that culture as the same you are becoming racist. You can not like or even hate certain aspects of the culture. But once you start lableing everybody who looks that description as the same in a negative light that's when you're wrong. That's when it can become hate.
[/quote]

DB, your emotions are getting the best of you. Some people here are pushing your buttons for fun. Don't let them get to you. Take a deep breath & ask the Holy Spirit for guidance before replying to posts. Sometimes it's okay to let things go. Trust God.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332770115' post='2408682']
I don't think anything is wrong with trusting the infinite mercy of God.
[/quote]
Well, as we know pretty much nothing about this guy's spiritual state, and are going based soley on the fact that he was shot, it sounds like DB is trying to make a martyr out of him-- which is pretty much what CinSD always did about people in the news. My HOPE is that we ALL achieve heaven. But being in the wrong place at the wrong time does not make it so.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1332770511' post='2408686']
DB, your emotions are getting the best of you. Some people here are pushing your buttons for fun. Don't let them get to you. Take a deep breath & ask the Holy Spirit for guidance before replying to posts. Sometimes it's okay to let things go. Trust God.
[/quote]

And you are qualified to know posters motivations how?

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332543890' post='2406634']
Sorry about your luck, buy despite you grabbing the opportunity to flaunt your bias against people of a different race and higher income bracket

it wasn't that upscale. Mid to low middle class complex that was racially diverse. Zimmerman was Hispanic. Trayvons dad lived there. Interviews w other residents was mostly "minorities". It was clean and kept up. Gated communities have become popular and common here because people want to feel safe and comfortable in their neighborhood. Did you miss the part about the neighborhood watch they started because of frequent burglaries? It's one thing of being tolerant of sketchy 'hood when poor and single. It's another when you're trying to provide a safe environment for your family.
[/quote]
What "people of a different race" are you referring to? I didn't mention anyone's race in my post.

Interestingly, when I first saw this story on the news and saw the picture of Zimmerman, he looked Spanish to me, and I thought he's lucky...it'll save him from a firestorm. Guess I was wrong.

This story is not, for me, about race (although I don't dismiss other people's racial concerns...let's face it, this country has a long messed up history with race). This story is about the fear in America. It's a sign of the times. I'm not surprised that a young man was shot in this neighborhood...at least here in South Florida, any time I'm in a well off neighborhood, the security signs are everywhere. These people live in fear.

As far as "providing a safe environment for your family," that's overblown. Poor kids, they're used as justification for everything adults do. We should have a national Night in America and everyone should watch "A Nightmare on Elm Street."

I agree people want to feel safe and comfortable. So they built gates to keep out Grendel and Freddy Krueger and Osama Bin Laden.

Fear is not limited to white people, or even to well off people. Spanish people and black people have long killed eachother through various gangs and turf wars. People in Latin America live in perpetual fear because of gangs that are not as well pushed off to the margins as they are in the United States. The middle class in Latin America is trying to become what America is, and to do so they have to create their own gated communities, and push the dregs to the margins. America is just more industrialized and able to create massive prisons to do it more effectively.

People in our society are afraid to die. Hence their obsessions with the second amendment, with assuring they live forever through healthcare, with their submission to perpetual militarization. It's useful to have kids...that gives us a good reason to live in fear.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I don't really have the strength to argue this story. Everyone has an opinion.

[quote]Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

--Robert Frost, "Mending Wall"[/quote]

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='RezaMikhaeil' timestamp='1332751740' post='2408620']
You are completely incorrect here. What the 9-11 operator told him is considered a recommendation according to the law, not a legally binding order.
[/quote]

OK, I have to call you out on this one. You make this claim over and over again. Are you an attorney? Please cite the relevant case law, because I always was under the impression that disobeying a police officer could get you arrested.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1332801552' post='2408891']
OK, I have to call you out on this one. You make this claim over and over again. Are you an attorney? Please cite the relevant case law, because I always was under the impression that disobeying a police officer could get you arrested.
[/quote]

9-1-1 operators are not police officers.

That's a fact. No caselaw necessary.

[/quote]

He wasn't a Saint. He was a teenager. I'm sure he could be a great kid. I'm also sure that he could be, like all teenagers, an obnoxious little bastard at times.