An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trayvon Martin

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332850838' post='2409090']
Ya exactly and that's why Mikolbes article is not fair. If the police did their job the first time there wouldn't be this outrage.
[/quote]You missed the point like Amelia missed the last island.

You don't know all the facts, I don't know all the facts, the general public desn't know all t he facts, the reporters don't know all the facts, etc., etc. You've decided you know enough to convict Zimmerman, or the Sanford police, or completely exhonerate Trayvon.
Why don't you chill on the vile condemning hate, give the people investigating some time to calmly, intelligently, and rationally gather facts, talk to people, gather evidence, and try to figure out what happened to the best of our limited human capacity. Most of us don't have God speaking in our right ear, we need to find out things with our mental effort.

Do you know for a fact that the Sanford police are all hate mongering racists? Do you know that they are all fools? Could it be possible that Zimmerman did have a broken nose and other wounds and it would have been a wrong for them to arrest Zimmerman without an investication? Maybe they were still investigating but it wasn't fast enough to satisify other peoples jumped-to assumptions.

It is nice and comforting to put all the blame on others and make one person perfectly innocent. It can feed a self-delusion that we are perfectly nice people.

This isn't some school yard scuffle where the dean only punishes whomever through the first punch, made the first mistake. There is plenty of human error to go around. I doubt any of the parties involved, police, Zimmerman, or Martin were gifted with the abilty to be perfect.

Do a little background check on Zimmerman. He was raised Catholic, so he might have the same divine conviction of his self-righteousness and zeal to bring moral correction to the world as you.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332835149' post='2409058']
Also people keep blaming the media. I agree the media is shady and I'm not a left wing person. Neither am I right. I hate politcs all together and I think its all scum. But in this case if it wasn't for the media we wouldn't know about this case and how bad the police department messed it up. And if you say they didn't it mess it up at all you're not being honest. Go look at the facts. They took Georges word that he had no prior offences. They didn't do research and find out the truth about him assulting an officer and domesitic disputes. They didn't take a drug or alcohol test. They didn't interview Trayvons girlfriend who he was talking to up until the point he was murdered..
[/quote]

But what they DID do was interview an eyewitness who said there was a fight and the gun went off. Again you are assuming that the police did something wrong. You are assuming they are racist and incompetent and the truth is you haven't a clue, because police investigations are NOT matters of public record. So why don't you calm down until its over.

homeschoolmom

In spite of what the Law and Order franchise would have us believe, crimes are not investigated and tried in a matter of 42 minutes.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332848511' post='2409079']
I've said it all along--there is a story we're being SOLD here. All the character assassinations, all the 5-7 year old pictures we're being shown, all the race-baiting and "outrage" they're showing us...they (the media) are clearly trying to make us believe something. And when was the last time you've trusted them to report accurately, without bias?
[/quote]
:like:

Archaeology cat

Here's the article I saw this morning: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2012-03-26/story/authorities-release-new-details-paint-trayvon-martin-aggressor It doesn't sound completely clear cut, and I know I don't have all the facts. All I can do is pray.

[quote] With a single punch, Trayvon Martin decked the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who eventually shot and killed the unarmed 17-year-old, then Trayvon climbed on top of George Zimmerman and slammed his head into the sidewalk several times, leaving him bloody and battered, authorities have revealed to the Orlando Sentinel.

That is the account Zimmerman gave police, and much of it has been corroborated by witnesses, authorities say.
Zimmerman has not spoken publicly about what happened, but that night, Feb. 26, and in later meetings he described and re-enacted for police what he says happened.

Zimmerman told police he shot the teenager in self-defense.
Civil rights leaders and thousands of others have demanded Zimmerman's arrest, calling Trayvon a victim of racial profiling and Zimmerman a vigilante.
Trayvon was an unarmed black teenager who had committed no crime, they say, who was gunned down while walking back from a 7-Eleven with nothing more sinister than a package of Skittles and can of Arizona iced tea.
Supporters have held rallies in Sanford, Miami, New York and Tallahassee, calling the case a tragic miscarriage of injustice.
Activist Al Sharpton headlined a rally in Sanford Thursday that drew an estimated 8,000 people. The Rev. Jesse Jackson yesterday spoke at an Eatonville church, where he called Trayvon a martyr.
Another rally is scheduled for 4 p.m. today in Sanford.
Zimmerman has gone into hiding. A fringe group, the New Black Panthers, have offered a $10,000 reward for his capture.
What authorities say happened
Police have been reluctant to provided details about all their evidence, but this is what they've disclosed to the Sentinel:
Zimmerman was on his way to the grocery store when he spotted Trayvon walking through his gated community.
Trayvon was visiting his father's fiancée, who lived there. He had been suspended from school in Miami after being found with an empty marijuana baggie. Miami schools have a zero-tolerance policy for drug possession.
Zimmerman called police and reported a suspicious person, describing Trayvon as black, acting strangely and perhaps on drugs.
Zimmerman got out of his SUV to follow Trayvon on foot. When a dispatch employee asked Zimmerman if he was following the 17-year-old, Zimmerman said yes. The dispatcher told Zimmerman he did not need to do that.
Listen to the 911 call (edited by the Times-Union)
There is about a one-minute gap during which police say they're not sure what happened.
Zimmerman told them he lost sight of Trayvon and was walking back to his SUV when Trayvon approached him from the left rear, and they exchanged words.
Trayvon asked Zimmerman if he had a problem. Zimmerman said no and reached for his cell phone, he told police.
Trayvon then said, "Well, you do now" or something similar and punched Zimmerman in the nose.
Zimmerman fell to the ground and Trayvon got on top of him and began slamming his head into the sidewalk, he told police.
Zimmerman began yelling for help.
Several witnesses heard those cries, and there's been a dispute about from whom they came: Zimmerman or Trayvon.
Lawyers for Trayvon's family say it was Trayvon, but police say their evidence indicates it was Zimmerman.
One witnesses, who has since talked to local television news reporters, told police he saw Zimmerman on the ground with Trayvon on top, pounding him and was unequivocal that it was Zimmerman who was crying for help.
Zimmerman then shot Trayvon once in the chest from very close range, according to authorities.
When police arrived less than two minutes later, Zimmerman was bleeding from the nose, had a swollen lip and had bloody lacerations to the back of his head.
Paramedics gave him first aid, but he said no to going to the hospital. He got medical care the next day.
The Department of Justice last week opened a civil rights investigation into what happened, and Gov. Rick Scott appointed a special prosecutor.
It's not clear whether the special prosecutor, Angela Corey, the state attorney for Duval, Clay and Nassau counties, will have Zimmerman arrested, announce that there's not enough evidence to file a manslaughter charge or present evidence to a grand jury. [/quote]

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1332847407' post='2409078']
got a chuckle out of this
[/quote]
Argh you beat me to it. Here's da link for those who may be interested.

[url="http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markshea/2012/03/i-have-an-idea-for-dealing-with-the-trayvon-martin-shooting.html"]http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markshea/2012/03/i-have-an-idea-for-dealing-with-the-trayvon-martin-shooting.html[/url]

The police department didn't mess anything up Cmother ? They gave zimmerman an alcohol and drug test ? They checked his background to see he assaulted an officer and had domestic disputes ? They put up yellow tape around where the crime happened ? They sent a homicide invesitagator and not a narcotic one to interview zimmerman ? They took zimmermans clothes ? O ya its a big NO to all of those questions and there's pry more I forgot. And you keep saying Zimmerman had a broken nose. Really ? He refused ems. Why would he do that with a broken nose ? Either he didn't have a broken nose or he was drinking and didn't want to go the ems route. Either way the police department is laughable how they handeled this. If you don't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Guest

Homeschool Mom. I'm not the one who originally stated he was a martyr. Yes I got the word mixed up. All I said he was a saint. Because if he's in heaven that would make him a saint.

If it wasn't for the media out cry on this it would be pushed under the rug. You know the thing is if Zimmerman really is innocent this police department should of did things right. Cause the way they handled this is gonna really screw him if he really is innocent.

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332863677' post='2409167']
The police department didn't mess anything up ? They gave zimmerman an alcohol and drug test ? They checked his background to see he assaulted an officer and had domestic disputes ? They put up yellow tape around where the crime happened ? They sent a homicide invesitagator and not a narcotic one to interview zimmerman ? They took zimmermans clothes ? O ya its a big NO to all of those questions and there's pry more I forgot. And you keep saying Zimmerman had a broken nose. Really ? He refused ems. Why would he do that with a broken nose ? Either a he didn't have a broken nose or he was drinking. Either way the police department is laughable how they handeled this. If you don't see that then I don't know what to tell you.
[/quote]Delivery,
According to your profile, you're a 30 year old adult. You state you are a Catholic, and have earned a Church Militant label from peers here on Phatmass.
I've tried to be shockingly snarky towards you, thinking you might see your unreasonableness in jumping to conclusions and condemning people. Others have patiently tried to explain reasonable doubt about all the parties and persons involved and advising you to not be so quick to judge others.
What part of fundamental Catholic Christianity don't you get that you can condemn people by assuming what their motives were/are? What about a little bit of Christian meekness, forgiveness, turning the other cheek, not adding to the emotionally fueled hatred towards others we don't know?

George Zimmerman has parents and friends, just like Trayvon Martin. Cheif Bill Lee has family and friends. George may have screwed up, so may have Trayvon, so may have Sanford police. You and I can't judge their motives from the second hand knowledge we get in the news. We can't know if their errors were founded in fear, hate, misunderstanding, immediate circumstances, the environment they were raised, the pressures of the lives, stress they were under, instructions from their supervisors, wanting to do what they beleived was right and/or fair, tired of being victimized because of their life's circumstances, misinterpreting the other's person's actions.

Have you ever done anything that you wish you hadn't? Did you ever make a mistake that caused a problem bigger than you ever could have imagined? A split second of human imperfection can destroy lives. We have the luxury of hours, days, weeks to mull this tragedy over and hope we won't ever make the same mistakes and cause some horrific tragedy. We can convince ourselves we're better, less imperfect, 'good' people by making out others are stupider and more evil.

Please don't fuel the hatred and vitrol. Other people live in this society too. What about Bill's, George's or Trayvon's families, brothers, sisters, cousins, neices? Are you being part of the problem, or part of the solution to what ails the world?

And yes HomeschoolMom I'm suggesting Trayvon was in the right place at the right time. Between 8 and 9 pm walking home. I listened to the 911 tape. Although I don't think Zimmerman was a hardcore racist he for sure profiled Martin. He said these a**h**** always get away. You can hear it in his tone. Its debatable if he even called him a f****** co*n. So he's in his suv following Trayvon. This is 2012 and there are a lot of crazy people out there. At this point Trayvon has a right to be skeptical and defensive. And what makes Trayvon suspicious? Being a tall black kid in a hoodie at 8 or 9 pm walking home ? Is that all it takes ? At anytime Zimmerman could of just said hey I'm neighboorhood watch how are ya buddy ? He could of been friendly and handeled it like that. But no in his mind Trayvon the THUG was already guilty and he was gonna play batman in his suv.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332864268' post='2409170']
If it wasn't for the media out cry on this it would be pushed under the rug.[/quote]

How do you know this?

That question is rhetorical.

You don't know this. Neither do I, neither does anyone.

Let the people and the courts do the jobs they are supposed to do.

The rush to judgement is counter-productive.

peace.

Anomaly I'm posting on a message board. You don't know how I live my life. Don't talk to me about catholicism when you are an atheist or agnostic. I don't mean that in a disrespectfull way. You don't get to run around with guns and stalk people then shoot them and just assume things will blow over. Its not how it works in 2012. He should of been arrested and then proove he's not guilty to a jury just like he would of if he was black and had did the same thing. I see these pics of Trayvon and I see my little brother. I see a kid. His parents deserve more then a phone call from cops 4 DAYS after the murder telling them Trayvon is dead and he was found right outside his dads place. And oh ya it was self defence and there will be no arrest or trial.

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1332866024' post='2409186']
I'm posting on a message board. You don't know how I live my life. Don't talk to me about catholicism when you are an atheist or agnostic. I don't mean that in a disrespectfull way. You don't get to run around with guns and stalk people then shoot them and just assume things will blow over. Its not how it works in 2012. He should of been arrested and then proove he's innocent to a jury just like he would of if he was black and had did the same thing. I see these pics of Trayvon and I see my little brother. I see a kid. His parents deserve more then a phone call from cops 4 days after the murder telling them Trayvon was dead and he was found right outside his dads place. And oh ya it was self defence and there will be no arrest or no trial.
[/quote]I'm assuming only one person is making posts on PM under Delivery Boy. You've clearly communicated what you believe and what your opinions are. You've given me more evidence of who you are than either of us have of who Trayvon, Bill and George are as people. I like to think that when I look in the mirror, I see myself, DB, Trayvon, George and Bill. I don't always like who I see in my mirror. I'm happy for you that you have a better mirror and don't see a bit of George, Anomaly, and Bill in yourself, but I'm happy I don't see a Catholic like you in my mirror. I apologize to you. I won't talk to you about being a catholic again. It obviously wouldn't help either of us to be better persons.

Edited by Anomaly