An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Marry Someone With Tattoos?

franciscanheart

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1345954804' post='2474363']
I wouldnot marry someone who was overly concerned about my physical attractiveness
[/quote]
No poo.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Innocent' timestamp='1345952524' post='2474352']
Nihil, Is that statue from the church of St. Peter in Chains in Rome?
[/quote]

There's our winner. That's the one.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1345954804' post='2474363']
I wouldnot marry someone who was overly concerned about my physical attractiveness fifty or sixty years down the line when I'm eighty. Saggy tattoos are the least of your problems. As someone who's over fifty and has been married for more than thirty years, I know old ink is a very minor concern. It's not the ink that is a consideration, but the thought or lack thereof behind getting the ink is what's telling of a person. If you can't get beyond your own assumed motivation for someone else's ink, then you shouldn't be getting married.
I personally have a thing about facial piercings. My eldest daughter got a nose piercing which bugged me when I would see her. I know she was thinking of changing the jewelry or letting it close up. I thought she removed it. I see her once a month or less and had in my mind it was gone. She never changed or removed it, I just don't see it on my dearly loved daughter any more.
I could marry a tattooed woman, a one eyed woman, a woman with a harelip if I fell in love with the person she is and she loved me for the person I am when I'm hot and twenty one and still love me when I'm ugly and fifty one.
[/quote]

I realize everyone has different turn-offs, tattoos are just a big one of mine. Physical attraction is also perhaps more important to me than it is to other people, for me, I could NOT marry someone I was not attracted to. I used to worry this was superficial but most experts especially post Theology of the Body think sexual attraction is very important.

I realize we'll both look quite different in our old age but ruined tattoos are not like balding or a sagging neck, they are something one can avoid. Similar to smoking, I could never marry someone who smokes simply for aesthetic reasons. Leaving aside the health risks, it's just gross to me. Even though I know many good Catholics who smoke. And smoking is something you can quit which tats you certainly can't!!!

saw this on facebook this morning, and it made me laugh:

[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s480x480/383839_372190302849796_340242031_n.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1345868915' post='2473964']
In my day if a man were to marry someone who had a tattoo they did not know about, meaning it was concealed as in your base analogy infers, that would be a cause for scandal. Think of it this way, a woman that you were to marry that had a tattoo on her cleavage was at least immodestly exposed at that time, something which you waited for you wedding night for. That would not say much for her honesty or morality. It would follow that the marriage was based upon a deceit, sounds like grounds for an annulment don't it ?

ed
[/quote]
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/8/26/LGKrIW7Krk6eY1vkYT8PUQ2.jpg[/img]

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1345999824' post='2474450']
I realize everyone has different turn-offs, tattoos are just a big one of mine. Physical attraction is also perhaps more important to me than it is to other people, for me, I could NOT marry someone I was not attracted to. I used to worry this was superficial but most experts especially post Theology of the Body think sexual attraction is very important.

I realize we'll both look quite different in our old age but ruined tattoos are not like balding or a sagging neck, they are something one can avoid. Similar to smoking, I could never marry someone who smokes simply for aesthetic reasons. Leaving aside the health risks, it's just gross to me. Even though I know many good Catholics who smoke. And smoking is something you can quit which tats you certainly can't!!!
[/quote]
This coin has heads on both sides. I see your point of view and I agree, but I also have to see the other side. My daughter has a tattoo which I'm sworn to secrecy not to tell her mother. I'm very liberal minded LOL. I advised her to think how it will look when old. But then as others have said we look pretty awful when old anyway, so meh about a tattoo. I suppose most of us wear a crucifix, so why not have an ink one. But then if I go to the Church and paint the statue of Mary or the icons there would be an uproar. Desecrating art work! The human body is Gods artwork, why do we need to deface it unnecessarily? I suppose it all depends on where, what and how much! Everybody has and is entitled to their own view!

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1346024212' post='2474569']
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/8/26/LGKrIW7Krk6eY1vkYT8PUQ2.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

yeah if i ever find out my future wife has exposed any area of her body to the tattoo artist, women in the changeroom or her doctor, i will be asking for an annulment post haste!

she was supposed to save that skin for me only... :( I cant believe she couldnt wait for me, and let the doctor see her unclothed, alone in a room...

oh... why cant a decent moral man like me find companionship?!?

Edited by Jesus_lol

franciscanheart

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1345999824' post='2474450']

[/quote]
I think where we separate in thinking is here: I don't wonder if I'll hate some physical aspect of my future spouse when we're 80. If I'm attracted to a man today who has tattoos, chances are that in 50 years I'll still be attracted to him. If he suddenly developed a skin condition which marred his appearance, I bet I'd still love him. If the man I meet and fall in love with has scars from acne, it won't factor into whether or not I'll marry him -- no matter how attractive or unattractive those scars might be. Same with any other condition which alters a person physically.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1346035601' post='2474700']
yeah if i ever find out my future wife has exposed any area of her body to the tattoo artist, women in the changeroom or her doctor, i will be asking for an annulment post haste!

she was supposed to save that skin for me only... :( I cant believe she couldnt wait for me, and let the doctor see her unclothed, alone in a room...

oh... why cant a decent moral man like me find companionship?!?
[/quote]
Because syphilis.

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1346036118' post='2474711']

I think where we separate in thinking is here:
[/quote]

I think where you separate in thinking is that you like tattoos and she does not.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1346039142' post='2474740']
I think where you separate in thinking is that you like tattoos and she does not.
[/quote]
:huh: Dang, girl. Sour much?

She said she didn't want to marry someone with tattoos, not that she disliked them all. Perhaps she said she dislikes them altogether someplace else in this thread, but if she has, I either missed it or forgot. Either scenario is more likely than I'd care to admit.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1346031378' post='2474626']
tattoos are for free spirited flower children. I grew out of that kind of thing in 3rd grade. damm hippies.
[/quote]
God loves hippies too. :|

And I am proud to be a hippie, if in fact I am one. :o