An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Marry Someone With Tattoos?

franciscanheart

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1345825223' post='2473510']
anyone read Parker's Back by Flannery O'Connor? <3

(for those that haven't, it's on topic, he's a married man with tons of tats)
[/quote]

I read that a couple of years ago. I still think about it often.

I have a question: if you get a tattoo on your biceps and if you later work out a lot and become more muscular, would that distort the tattoo you got?

[quote name='Innocent' timestamp='1345881805' post='2474019']
I have a question: if you get a tattoo on your biceps and if you later work out a lot and become more muscular, would that distort the tattoo you got?
[/quote]
Yes. Many years ago, I got a tattoo of an anchor on my bicep. Since working out, it has turned into an entire battleship.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1345896825' post='2474042']
Yes. Many years ago, I got a tattoo of an anchor on my bicep. Since working out, it has turned into an entire battleship.
[/quote]

:lol3:

[/quote]

always knew you were the Sailor type.

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/ginomettilasteaua/alexbre.jpg[/img]

xTrishaxLynnx

[/quote]

Been working out to impress J_Lol, huh?

PhuturePriest

Personally I do not think tattoos reflect a person's personality too much. People stereotype men and women who have tattoos as troublemakers and law breakers, when this simply isn't true. Some of the loveliest guys on the planet that I know have tattoos, and I have no doubt they would never think of breaking the law and they would always help out a friend or stranger. Just last week one of these guys came up and gave me a hug (Which must have been a sight to see a really tall muscular guy hug a 5'4 teenager). To me it's just ink. It wouldn't get in the way of my marriage and it wouldn't get in the way of friendship. I do not personally like the ink, but that's not the question at hand. The question is would it impede my marriage to a woman with a tattoo, and that answer is definitely not.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345918864' post='2474129']
Personally I do not think tattoos reflect a person's personality too much. People stereotype men and women who have tattoos as troublemakers and law breakers, when this simply isn't true. Some of the loveliest guys on the planet that I know have tattoos, and I have no doubt they would never think of breaking the law and they would always help out a friend or stranger. Just last week one of these guys came up and gave me a hug (Which must have been a sight to see a really tall muscular guy hug a 5'4 teenager). To me it's just ink. It wouldn't get in the way of my marriage and it wouldn't get in the way of friendship. I do not personally like the ink, but that's not the question at hand. The question is would it impede my marriage to a woman with a tattoo, and that answer is definitely not.
[/quote]

You've come a long way from "coagulated milk grater."

PhuturePriest

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1345920961' post='2474139']
You've come a long way from "coagulated milk grater."
[/quote]

I said I would use it for my daughter if she got a tattoo, but admittedly my opinion has changed somewhat substantially - which is why these threads are always so great!

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345921226' post='2474140']
I said I would use it for my daughter if she got a tattoo, but admittedly my opinion has changed somewhat substantially - which is why these threads are always so great!
[/quote]

But what about your son?

The tats on those older women pictured above appear to be fairly recent additions.

Skin is elastic when you are young. It is NOT ELASTIC when you are older.

I repeat. NOT ELASTIC.

In fact if you are young and are considering getting a large tattoo, I suggest you volunteer at a nursing home for a while beforehand. Not in the cafeteria, but in the rooms where the dressing and hygiene care takes place. Just so you are making an informed choice about the size and location of your art and understand it's probably not going to look the way you intend when you're older. Unless you get it on your ankle (but I have even seen doozies there). One word: CANKLES. Two more words: VARICOSE VEINS. I triple this suggestion if you are a female and intend to bear biological children.

Because I don't find messed up tattoos attractive in the slightest, and because I would intend to be married well into old age, I preferred to date guys who weren't inked up. I'm sure I would make an exception for someone I truly loved... but if I was dating a guy and found out he had a big pirate on his chest, I would automatically be thinking about how it'll look at age 80 when he has a concave chest.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1345921303' post='2474142']
But what about your son?
[/quote]

If he's not man enough to handle a [i]c[/i]heese grater than he's not man enough to get married quite yet.

But really, if it was Religious or it really meant something I wouldn't mind. If it was a skull or demon tattoo I would likely flip, but if it was something reasonable like Our Lady or perhaps a crucifix it wouldn't bother me[i] too [/i]much. I would definitely begin to say something if one of my daughters or sons was becoming what I call a human tattoo, which I think is absolutely crazy, but 99% of people with tattoos have no desire to have that many. It may surprise you to know that once I really wanted to get a tattoo, actually.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1345921703' post='2474146']
The tats on those older women pictured above appear to be fairly recent additions.

Skin is elastic when you are young. It is NOT ELASTIC when you are older.

I repeat. NOT ELASTIC.

In fact if you are young and are considering getting a large tattoo, I suggest you volunteer at a nursing home for a while beforehand. Not in the cafeteria, but in the rooms where the dressing and hygiene care takes place. Just so you are making an informed choice about the size and location of your art and understand it's probably not going to look the way you intend when you're older. Unless you get it on your ankle (but I have even seen doozies there). One word: CANKLES. Two more words: VARICOSE VEINS. I triple this suggestion if you are a female and intend to bear biological children.

Because I don't find messed up tattoos attractive in the slightest, and because I would intend to be married well into old age, I preferred to date guys who weren't inked up. I'm sure I would make an exception for someone I truly loved... but if I was dating a guy and found out he had a big pirate on his chest, I would automatically be thinking about how it'll look at age 80 when he has a concave chest.
[/quote]
My favorite part of responses like these is the choice of images y'all choose for people. A large pirate? Really? I'd question his choice of art more than his sitting for ink.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1345922103' post='2474150']
My favorite part of responses like these is the choice of images y'all choose for people. A large pirate? Really? I'd question his choice of art more than his sitting for ink.
[/quote]

From experience I have seen a lot of guys who chose the dumbest tattoos on the planet, ranging from skulls and things related to death. I do not really approve of these tattoos, but that is mostly because I do not understand why they got them. Is it because they like death? If so this is disordered. But can it be something meaningful that happened in their life that made them choose to have a tattoo of a skull? This is what I am trying to figure out.

the two my husband has are from when he was very young (before legal age, don't know how he got around that) and so I forgive him for choosing silly ones. well, even so, really only one is kinda silly.