An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random Part Two!

arfink

Sure. The Pelican is a rather old symbol of Christ, and I think part of the reason why it's fallen into disuse is that it's actually not terribly accurate, but cool anyway. :)

See, people used to believe that in times where there wasn't enough food to feed the baby chicks, a mother pelican would pierce her own breast and let her chicks feed off her own blood. Which was seen as a metaphor for Christ's sacrifice.

Of course we now know that pelicans don't actually do that, but it's still a super cool symbolic thing. Because pelicans. :)

Love the pelican.  

Also really think the circle art is neat, ARFink.  I am having really scary visions of a pelican wearing hoop earrings atop the church. :eek: :shudder:

I know you have more and better artistic sense than that.... and fortunately, even if I can conceive it, I don't have ability to draw or post it.  Aren't you glad?!

brianthephysicist

The Pelican is probably my favorite symbol of Christ. Love.

This is the first I've ever heard of a pelican used for Jesus. Who wants to edumacate me?

Sure. The Pelican is a rather old symbol of Christ, and I think part of the reason why it's fallen into disuse is that it's actually not terribly accurate, but cool anyway. :)

See, people used to believe that in times where there wasn't enough food to feed the baby chicks, a mother pelican would pierce her own breast and let her chicks feed off her own blood. Which was seen as a metaphor for Christ's sacrifice.

Of course we now know that pelicans don't actually do that, but it's still a super cool symbolic thing. Because pelicans. :)

I'm glad I was a part of this exchhange.

I never got a chance to tell you about the epic thing that Brian took me to the day we got engaged. (I had actually texted Linda on the way back from the event, promising to tell her all about it, but uh, I forgot. Hahahahaha.)

This parish on Long Island held a Lenten experience for the last week and a half or so before Easter, I think it was called "Journey to the Cross."

Basically it walked you through all the events of Holy Week in a Stations of the Cross format. It started with journaling how you hoped to spend the last week of your own life, and ended with the Resurrection of Jesus. Each station had Scripture, questions for reflection, etc.

But here's the cool part: each station also had an activity that engaged at least one of your physical senses. So at the Last Supper station there were little pieces of bread and a bowl of water and a towel. It was all very meditative. Super cool. I'm going to blog about it in more detail probably today.

What I meant to tell you about, Fink, was the end. After you were all done and exited the area where the stations were, they had a guestbook for feedback and reflection. Across the way from that, there was a big, colorful sign on the wall that read "Draw your reflection." Hanging on the wall were all kinds of pictures people had done. A lot of them looked like children's drawings, but there were quite a few that were very detailed and beautiful, too.

They had pastels and crayons and watercolors and markers and even charcoal. Everything you could think of. All colors of construction paper, stamps, glitter, stickers, and a little lamp to work by.

Thought you'd have loved it. Maybe one day during Lent or Advent in the future, you can join us.

That sounds soooooo cooooool! I would love to do that with you guys some day. :)

Ohhhh... me too me too!!!   Maybe we could do it virtually for some of the Church seasons.... draw stuff and post it in a thread.. add some poems, short stories, reflections of different kinds... videos... just kind of randome stuff and have it as a thread.

Being there is better... but lots of ways of be-ing......

I somehow missed this before, it seems like a very good idea.

Yes, it seemed like a wonderful thing when Missy talked about it a few days back, and I would think it would work on Phatmass....  What we need is an artist with a herding interest to get it started.  Know anyone?

To Jesus Through Mary

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4NnqyO2y_1Y[/media]

You have odd taste in music, but this one is very upbeat! 

Thanks! :) Yes, I know my taste is very strange, but that's why I share. Glad you got a little something out of it.

To Jesus Through Mary

Thanks! :) Yes, I know my taste is very strange, but that's why I share. Glad you got a little something out of it.

Yeah it definately is out of the mainstream which is cool... and very hipster. ;) j/k Seriously, I think music is kind a peek into how someone processes something. I always find peoples preferences interesting. Unless it is Taylor Swift. 

Yeah it definately is out of the mainstream which is cool... and very hipster. ;) j/k Seriously, I think music is kind a peek into how someone processes something. I always find peoples preferences interesting. Unless it is Taylor Swift. 

Well yes, because Taylor Swift earns a big :X from me.

2013-04-16+17.59.22.jpg

^^ BTW, this is AnneLine's computer. I fixed it, and made it clean and shiny and egret-y.

This is very cool. I've got to say you are very talented. :)