An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Glaring Misogyny In The Bible?

Medic

I don't recall saying you were forced...you going to start putting words in my mouth? so to speak....since im actually typing..

I don't recall saying you were forced...you going to start putting words in my mouth? so to speak....since im actually typing..

You asked what made me ask that. Nothing made me ask. I asked of my own volition.

yeah and I was asking what reason did you have for asking that? simple curiosity?

Yeah. i just wondered why you hated him. I thought maybe he'd killed your dog, or something.

KnightofChrist

Eh, I think it's a pointless waste of time, and I still think it's uncharitable. But whatever, carry on, your time not mine.

Oh yeah it is most definitely a pointless waste of time. That much is certain.

Vincent Vega

Isn't it interesting how you need to translate or twist the meanings of verses in the bible to suit your argument. It's plain English to me.

Which is why it's a good thing the Bible was written in English in the cultural context of 21st century America. :)

Vincent Vega

This question would really be better posed to a group of Jews. Call it prooftexting if you like, but I don't think you have a full understanding of how Christianity works. In St. Matthew's Gospel, Jesus says "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."(5:17) This is the foundation upon which the Christian teaching that the New Testament supercedes -- in the ways that it differs -- the old testament. Later, in St. Paul's letter to the Galatians, he states "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." (3:28)

So then, to argue that Christianity oppresses of women because of something found in the Old Testament is akin to arguing that Snape is a bad guy because you've only read the first Harry Potter book. 

Wow - nine pages feeding a (rather boring and unoriginal) troll.

you can label me a troll all you like, It doesn't bother me, just because you aren't interested in the subject doesn't mean others wont be.....no one forced you to read it. so thanks for your input, but really if its all you have to offer you can keep moving....

Oh yeah it is most definitely a pointless waste of time. That much is certain.

then why the hell are you still here? is it practicing to be a smug prick?

Question for the theists.....If someone is turned down from a job solely because they are too old it's ageist. So what is it called when a woman is turned down from a job solely because she is a woman? Sexist yeh? So how come women can't progress as high in the church as men. We are not in the dark ages anymore and using scripture as old as a thousand grandmothers is not really helpful, relevant or moral.

Now think about all the anti-women teachings in the bible. Think about the portrayal of Mary as a prostitute. Now read the OP again.

If you still think Medic hasn't made a valid point then there's something wrong with your thinking in my opinion.