An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Glaring Misogyny In The Bible?

Medic

Good for you Medic. To do your own research and not rely on other peoples words.is the only way to put yourself at ease and to get as close to the real truth as possible.

It shouldn't be what your heart tells you but what your brain does. Once your brain has clicked then your heart will follow

See you soon mate :)

Maggie. The analogy is referring to the damage that religion has done and is still doing to women. In my opinion you take religion out of the equation and they are totally liberated. And no, I don't mean just sexually liberated although the analogy may be construed that way too.

Have a think about it and enjoy your weekend :)

I can respect that, I just have a problem with the supposed "infallible word of god" being so ambiguous ....you ask 100 different people about the same passage and your likely to get 100 different answers.....

One of the upsides of being Catholic, we have the assurance of believing we've got the right interpretations. I couldn't be a Sola Scriptura Protestant, I'd have become an atheist long ago. The Church claims a whole heck of authority.  This is one of the times its a very, very good thing.  

One of the upsides of being Catholic, we have the assurance of believing we've got the right interpretations. I couldn't be a Sola Scriptura Protestant, I'd have become an atheist long ago. The Church claims a whole heck of authority.  This is one of the times its a very, very good thing.  

The Catholic Church .....well I don't want to outright offend anyone, but historically the Catholic Church is one of the most corrupt entities in the world....it seems modern day muslim extremists have taken a page from the play book of the Catholic Church, while I will admit they are no longer as tyrannical as they were in the past, but I would wager they would be if they could get away with it....just an opinion.

HisChildForever

No matter what verse I attempt to quote the religious apologist will find some way to distort it so it fits their perspective...instead of sitting here sending each other bible quotes how about engaging in meaningful dialogue instead of sending me to post bible verses from a book most of you have never read. ;)

So, basically, any honest response you receive from a Christian will be shrugged off as "distorted." Why bother asking in the first place if you already know our responses won't satisfy you?

So, basically, any honest response you receive from a Christian will be shrugged off as "distorted." Why bother asking in the first place if you already know our responses won't satisfy you?

because ive been around this block before, and I wasn't disappointed this time as well. there were some members of the forum that did try to have honest discourse with me...but they were few and far between....take a gander at the entire thread if you want to continue having a talk with me...or not....

HisChildForever

because ive been around this block before, and I wasn't disappointed this time as well. there were some members of the forum that did try to have honest discourse with me...but they were few and far between....take a gander at the entire thread if you want to continue having a talk with me...or not....

Sure. Ask me a question. I'm a woman and a practicing Catholic. Just be open-minded when you read my response (I'll do likewise) and we'll be good.

Sure. Ask me a question. I'm a woman and a practicing Catholic. Just be open-minded when you read my response (I'll do likewise) and we'll be good.

ok sounds good, I have received tremendous resistance to the treatment of women in the bible. The misogyny that is displayed and cultivated in it's pages. Most vehemently denied it....what is your take on the treatment of women in the bible?

Fancy a dance?

oh btw Quinn, we've been accused multiple times of being the same person...just want to give you  a heads up about that...

Vincent Vega

The analogy is referring to the damage that religion has done and is still doing to women. In my opinion you take religion out of the equation and they are totally liberated.

That doesn't follow at all, because it presumes way too many things. Civilization as we know is has been built alongside (and in many ways, by) religion. The two (at least as Western people) know them are inseparable. It may well be the case that if religion were removed from the equation, women would be totally liberated, but I don't think there's any way to say for sure.

For instance, many people point to the Scandinavian countries as the pinnacle of human evolution because of the (at least perceived) absence of issues of this nature, and conclude that this must be due to their secularism. There are many other factors at play here, though (including the fact that it is a mostly homogeneous society (meaning that racial/ethnic divisiveness is a non-issue), the education and literacy rates approach 100%, they all have exceedingly high GDP per capitas, etc), and I'm not convinced it is so simple of an issue. 

Frankly, I fail to see what damage moderate religion (including Roman Catholicism in that) "is still doing" to women. Would you go into that in greater detail?

HisChildForever

ok sounds good, I have received tremendous resistance to the treatment of women in the bible. The misogyny that is displayed and cultivated in it's pages. Most vehemently denied it....what is your take on the treatment of women in the bible?

You're approaching this rather broadly. We can narrow it down if you'd like - if there's a particular passage that really bugs you. In undergrad I had a slew of free electives and decided to take an online theology course. I wrote a research paper on the Blessed Virgin, basically highlighting that she not only appears in the New Testament but the Old as well. Marian theology is pretty intense, powerful stuff, and speaks a lot (I find) on the Christian understanding of women and womanhood. To give a simple example - so in Catholicism (well, Christianity in general) we profess that Christ is both fully man and fully God, right? It makes sense we'd say hey, this is perfection. And in Catholicism we profess that Mary is fully human alone - but a PERFECT human at that. So out of every single human being there's only ONE who's ever been perfect, and God chose for that human being to be a woman, not a man.

ummm well....presupposing a deity might be objectional,  I only want to address the treatment of women in the bible.....ie. men raping women then forcing them to marry them (Deuteronomy) taking women for spoils of war (also in Deuteronomy)

HisChildForever

ummm well....presupposing a deity might be objectional,  I only want to address the treatment of women in the bible.....ie. men raping women then forcing them to marry them (Deuteronomy) taking women for spoils of war (also in Deuteronomy)

You mean human beings treating other human beings like crap? That's been around since, well, forever.

this is totally off subject, but im trying to use my facebook photo as my pic..and its not letting me....what gives?

Edited by Medic