Lil Red Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 Every year, I offer to pick patron saints for phatmassers (well, the Holy Spirit picks, but you know what I mean). This year is no different. Patron Saints 2010 Patron Saints 2011 Patron Saints 2012 Patron Saints 2013 I always do this before the New Year of the Church starts. This year, the New Year starts December 1. If you would like a saint, message me with your name (screenname is fine) or if you are comfortable, post here. please tell me a little of yourself and your intentions or nothing if you're not comfortable sharing: the Holy Spirit will know which Saint will best help you in the coming year. It is perfectly fine to request one saint for a couple or a family. I went to Confession this past weekend, and feel prepared for doing this. I'll be drawing this coming weekend for as long is as needed (no worries about being late). I think it's very Holy Spirit inspired to hear and read the beautiful stories and God-incidences that come from this devotion. If you'd like to share your experience from previous years, I'd love to hear it. The only "payment" I ask, is that you please pray for me & my intentions after receiving your patron. :) Copied from previous years: This is a beautiful Catholic devotion. Basically the idea is that I put together saints names in a basket, and draw one for anyone who wants one, after praying over the basket with your name and intentions in mind. Please, pass this onto anyone who you think would like a saint picked for them. Here's a little more on this devotion:Religious orders, both male and female, particularly in the 1800's and early 1900's got into the habit of drawing a saint's name at the close of each year, and that saint would be their "patron" for the coming year. St. Faustina writes about this in her diary, but it was not an unusual practice at all. The saying is, "you don't choose the saint, the saint chooses you - that in the realm of the Eternal, they know better than you what your needs for the coming year will be, and so they "choose" to be with you, through it. But the point is to not simply pull the saint but then develop a bit of a relationship with him/her -ie, learn about them, include them in your prayers, ask them to pray for you, and (when praying) to join you in prayer -that sort of thing.“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.†(Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina)
truthfinder Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 Thanks for doing this again Lil Red. I'm a student and this year will bring some important decisions regarding my future.
TheresaThoma Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 Thank you once again Lil'Red for doing this. I will PM you with my info!
PhuturePriest Posted November 7, 2013 Posted November 7, 2013 Thank you for doing this. I'm studying for the ACTs (Which I will most likely be taking this coming year) and I am desperately wanting to get a composite score of 30.
Archaeology cat Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 I want one again. My needs are much like those last year. Pretty sure you already know them. :)
Basilisa Marie Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 YAY! I've gotten Macrina the Elder and Martin de Porres. I can't wait to find out who's got my back this year. :)
MissyP89 Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 Brian and I will both take saints. Thank you, love. I think you know me well enough. ;) But as a recent additional note, God is working on healing a lot of emotional junk in my heart. Things are going really well, but I still have a long way to go.
Marie-Therese Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 Me me me!! :) As an extra favour, could you ask the Holy Spirit for a patron for Nick and I as a couple as we spend this year preparing for our marriage? Thanks my beautiful friend!
brandelynmarie Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 Pm'ed you. ;)In the past I've had Blessed Maria Gabriella & St. Bede :saint: :saint:
ToJesusMyHeart Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 Please pick another for me. I'm attempting to graduate college this coming May, and then if God wills it, to enter a convent.
Gabriela Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 Please choose one for me. Am discerning with hermits. Anything else worth knowing, the Holy Spirit knows better than me... THANK YOU!!!
AnneLine Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 Red, I would LOVE to get a Saint Patron for 2014! Last year I received St. Augustine, and we continued our usual love/unsure relationship...but I have learned to listen more when his readings come up in the Liturgy of the Hours, and I appreciate more the struggles he had to overcome things. So it has been a good year! Sounds like unintentionally we'll be doing our drawings over the same weekend! So much for my trying to not step on your red-shoed toes! Holy Spirit must enjoy the 'bundle' concept... either that or is partial to three and one! As far as me.... married, secular order member, mostly a supportive llama mamma..... God knows who would be my best support and challenge for the next year..... and thank you for your ministry!
she_who_is_not Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 Thank you Red!! Last year I recieved one of my personal patrons, St. Cajetan. Right now I'm struggling with extreme spiritual dryness and experiencing a minor crisis of faith. Trying to hold on to hope. Thank you again.
BG45 Posted November 8, 2013 Posted November 8, 2013 Me please! And I think you know me reasonably well by now. Forever student, hoping to graduate this academic year, hoping to find a job and hoping to one day find someone to share my life with.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now