An Old School Catholic Message Board

"something You Didn't Know About Me" Thread

LittleWaySoul

Ancilla Domini

I just found out yesterday that I am directly descended from Captain Bligh. :pinch:

Supposedly, though, he wasn't the creep that he's portrayed as being in all the movies. Supposedly he saved all his men. (And no, I'm not just being biased. :hehe2:)

Ancilla Domini

I just found out yesterday that I am directly descended from Captain Bligh. :pinch:

Supposedly, though, he wasn't the creep that he's portrayed as being in all the movies. Supposedly he saved all his men. (And no, I'm not just being biased. :hehe2:)

Well, this is good: :P

"Bligh’s disciplinary habits were not especially harsh. In fact, one could arguably call his discipline relatively light for the day. A reflection of this can be seen in the division of mutineers and loyalists. That “nearly his entire crew” participated in the mutiny is a completely false impression created by fiction. Of the 44 men on the Bounty, only 18 joined Fletcher Christian; 4 more men who wished to get into the lifeboat into which Bligh and the other loyalists were set had to be forcibly restrained on board the ship. On return to England, every surviving member of the Bounty's officers and crew was given a chance to officially register any complaints they might have had against Bligh, and none did. Apparently Bligh was more likely to scold or berate a man when other captains might have resorted to physical discipline."

*sighs in relief* I wouldn't like to know that one of my great-great-great ancestors was a villain who killed people and frequently flogged them for small offenses. :P

That's pretty cool Ancilla! 

I found out recently that my great-grandmother's ancestors were Scottish Jacobites - for those who don't know Jacobites tried to restore the Catholic monarchy to the thrones of England, Scotland and Ireland. I'm ever-so-slightly pleased about that. :P

brandelynmarie

Part of my family came from England in the late 1700's & supposedly we are related to the Bowkers of Bowker Hall. One man was a hatter!

I have now been awarded full candidature with my university, so am officially a student! Been waiting for this day! Deo Gratias!

Ancilla Domini

I have now been awarded full candidature with my university, so am officially a student! Been waiting for this day! Deo Gratias!

Congratulations!! :winner: :cheer:

Congratulations!

brandelynmarie

God is so good :blush:

That's pretty cool Ancilla! 

I found out recently that my great-grandmother's ancestors were Scottish Jacobites - for those who don't know Jacobites tried to restore the Catholic monarchy to the thrones of England, Scotland and Ireland. I'm ever-so-slightly pleased about that. :P

Ever-so-slightly?? You're probably a very, very distant relative of George MacDonald. On a cousin's brother-in-law's cat's side. In my opinion you are very cool.

Something you didn't know about me?

I am fire. I am death.

My 3 year old niece randomly repeats this assertion in a fierce little whisper that terminates in a burst of laughter. Its her mama's fault.

My 3 year old niece randomly repeats this assertion in a fierce little whisper that terminates in a burst of laughter. Its her mama's fault.

52831645.jpg